The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases

Old 08-05-2014, 11:11 AM
Humanist

Armadillo, that is one super-deluxe "house-concert" venue!

Excellent.
100 Greatest Acoustic Guitarists

Steel-string guitars by Rebecca Urlacher and Simon Fay
Classical guitars by Anders Sterner
Old 08-05-2014, 03:25 PM
Eric Skye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorquin View Post
I've never been to a Living Room or House Concert before but a buddy of mine has and thought it was great.

I'm wondering if I should host something like that at my house. I have a 19' X 29' living room. Is that big enough for a quaint house concert? Is it worth it for the musician?

Anyone done this before?
I have done a lot of house concerts and home workshops all over the United States in the last five years. Few random thoughts: First, I think it’s fantastic you are interested in this. People who host and attend acoustic house concerts are special folks. You are going make a lot of great new friends in your area.

My first thought -and others might disagree- but in that size room, and for sure for smaller spaces, is please don’t get a PA. I personally think, and constantly get the comment from people, that it’s a rare and wonderful treat to hear un-amplified acoustic music up close and in person. Maybe if it’s more than fifty people, or a very dead room, I’ll use a mic into tiny, tucked away speaker. But if you have say forty people in smaller room with hardwood floors, it’s just absolutly sublime to hear real acoustic music.

I think it is worth it for musicians. For me, if I can get at least thirty people at twenty bucks each, plus sell a few CDs, and maybe do an afternoon workshop for a few interested players, I'll jump on a plane and come out. Especially if the host might be interested in having a nice middle aged family guy stay the night in a guest room or something. Perhaps have dinner with the family, maybe even get a ride to the airport… Those things make huge difference. And frankly, I think it’s a win win. If it’s an artist you really like, you can spend the whole day hanging out, maybe jam or have a lesson, hit a local guitar shop… In all honesty I’ve made so many life long friends all over the country from return house concerts. It's been pretty wonderful actually.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:48 PM

Larry, thanks so much for the compliment. The room is great without any amplification but most like a little on the vocals to keep up with the guitar.
Old 08-05-2014, 04:53 PM

For 30 grand, you can get Kenny Loggins.
http://dcist.com/2014/07/dc_man_want...00_for_liv.php
Old 08-05-2014, 04:53 PM

I was at an Eric Skye house concert in Seattle. It was great and Eric was a pleasure to meet. I would highly recommend the house concert format.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:09 PM

Thanks for all the input. My wife likes the idea as well and I'm looking forward to putting this together sometime early next year.

Armadillo….yeah…real nice!
Old 08-06-2014, 02:16 AM

Armadillo...

I wish I still had a band to play a concert there, awesome!

Gorquin, you should totally do it.

House concerts were always the funnest gigs to play. People seem to realize that pulling out their iPhone or having loud conversations while you're playing is actually quite rude. It seems to go unnoticed in bars and pubs where you're just another feature, but house concerts, well, people can actually divest of all that and truly create an interactive musical experience. Except if they don't, then it can be a bit awkward.

Here's how we run ours. Firstly, we are fortunate enough to still have (and by we I mean my GF) a large network of young active musicians, and a large circle of friends who appreciate that sort of thing.

We ask for 10$ at the door, which goes straight to the musician. We try to make it potluck or bring a bag of snack, definitely byob.

Instead of the musician having a giant gap in their itinerary, they get a safe bed, for a day or so, a few meals, a small bit of finance (we get between 20-35 people), a shower, and a free setup for their guitar if it needs it. And the chance to borrow some mighty fine guitars if they like, as well as the chance to sell merch.

This is done as a boon to them as touring folk, not to make any money for us.

We always use a teeny PA, mostly to help balance multiple musicians if needed.

It's always a good party that ends in a huge jam...
Old 08-30-2014, 08:18 PM

Never hosted one (I have a very small living room, and adjoining rooms are equally small), but I love playing them. They're my favorite kind of show to do, because we get to interact with the audience before, during and afterwards (with no pressure to pack up and hit the road till morning). I am always open to playing more of them, anywhere. (Hint, hint).

But I'd like to interject that hosts must be VERY careful about spreading the word. If you advertise them or even put them in your paper's community calendar, the PROs are always on the lookout--and if you are not a house concert series that is a member of Folk Alliance Int'l, you might get a not-so-friendly visit (or even a threatening letter) from one of the PROs. (And lately, ASCAP is reportedly trying to back out of the Folk Alliance agreement not to seek licenses). You also don't want to alert local authorities--I know of at least one series that was hounded into discontinuing because of neighbor complaints about noise and parking.And then there's the question of insurance--an accident on the premises is unlikely, but you never know. Most performers would sign a liability waiver, but not all guests (especially strangers) might.

http://www.sandyandina.com

-------------------------
Gramann Rapahannock, 7 Taylors, 4 Martins, 2 Gibsons, 2 V-A, Larrivee Parlour, Gretsch Way Out West, Fender P-J Bass & Mustang, Danelectro U2, Peavey fretless bass, 8 dulcimers, 2 autoharps, 2 banjos, 2 mandolins, 3 ukes

I cried because I had no shoes.....but then I realized I won’t get blisters.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:03 PM

I attended a John Jorgenson house concert years ago. It was a small area, but they had about 50 folding chairs in a cleared out living room area. Muffins and fresh apple cider were served. The concert was about $20 bucks and CD's were sold during the intermission and after the concert. The hosts had half a dozen Roland AC-60's used for the microphones and instruments. It was plenty for the room. I had remembered John from the Hellecasters. The concert was Gypsy Jazz and it was a great intimate experience. I've got the where with all to do this in my own home, but do not yet have the wife's permission to do it. here's a link to the now inactive venue:

https://web.archive.org/web/20050306.../musicians.htm

Here's some reference links:

http://www.concertsinyourhome.com/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/House_concert

http://www.houseconcerts.us/

http://www.gaiaconsort.com/house.html
Old 09-29-2014, 12:18 PM

I've always loved house shows from kitchen hardcore shows and diving off of counters, to quiet acoustic shows. We used to have a house in a rather shady part of town so no one ever cared what was going on. Noise ordinances did not apply.

Anyway, do it, it is a blast.
Old 09-29-2014, 12:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorquin View Post
I've never been to a Living Room or House Concert before but a buddy of mine has and thought it was great.

I'm wondering if I should host something like that at my house. I have a 19' X 29' living room. Is that big enough for a quaint house concert? Is it worth it for the musician?

Anyone done this before?
Hello Gorquin, I've played many house concerts. Big houses, small houses. I'm also involved with a network "Concerts In Your Home."
Check out this site to get an idea of what's involved. http://www.concertsinyourhome.com/ - This whole idea has been a great blessing for musicians. A win-win for all involved. miche
Old 10-31-2014, 11:21 AM

Nice space Armadillo! Are you still hosting shows?

www.rolliebarrettmusic.com
2010 Taylor 814 CE Grand Auditorium Cutaway

www.rolliebarrettmusic.com

Last edited by HolyRoly; 10-31-2014 at 11:27 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Events and New Releases