The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

View Poll Results: How will you spend $1,000 on travel guitar(s)?
Buy a carbon fiber guitar, e.g. CA Cargo or Emerald 45 46.39%
Buy a Little Martin/Baby Taylor AND a Voyage Air 17 17.53%
Buy something else (explain) 35 36.08%
Voters: 97. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-21-2010, 10:53 AM

Default Travel Guitar Poll

If you can spend $1,000 or less on travel guitar(s), what will you do?

Option 1: Buy a carbon fiber guitar, e.g. CA Cargo or Emerald
Option 2: Buy a Little Martin/Baby Taylor AND a Voyage Air (i.e. you'll get TWO travel guitars)
Option 3: Buy / do something else (please explain)

Note to Mod: Since I don't discuss pricing of individual instruments (only budget to spend), I hope this post does not violate the no-price discussion rule. If you think otherwise, please let me know and I'll do what I can to revise this post in order to make it compliant. Thanks!

Taylor GS Mini mahogany/sapele with LR Baggs M80
Voyage Air VAOM-06 sitka/sapele with LR Baggs Anthem
Yamaha Guitalele black
Taylor T3/B honey burst
Fender American Stratocaster tobacco burst
G&L Fullerton Deluxe Legacy blonde

Gone but not forgotten..... ReviveMusicStore.com

Last edited by revive; 06-21-2010 at 10:59 AM.
Old 06-21-2010, 11:56 AM

Other.

I'd get a Go Grande (like the one I have) and bank the remaining $$$.

If I flew more, I'd think about a Voyage Air but the 25.5" scale doesn't suit me.

I've never played a plastic guitar I'd want to own.

Ed
Old 06-21-2010, 12:03 PM

I have travelled extensively with my Baby Taylor (M) without incident. It has a good tone for what it is-maybe I was just lucky with the purchase.

Another option is to just buy an inexpensive solid top guitar (ebay??) with a decent case and if you can't carry it on - gate check it. If it gets crushed, just pick up a new one when you get where you're going.

Guitars:
A few, but on the hunt for the "one"
Old 06-21-2010, 12:12 PM

How about the best carbon fiber, IMHO, a "Blackbird Rider".
Old 06-21-2010, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

Default I said ''Other''...because

Hi revive…

Bought a Voyage-Air - full sized, full scale, full 1 3/4'' nut OM guitar with a solid top, and I can put it in it's backpack and take it on the plane. It plays and sounds just like it's non-folding counterparts.

Best option in a traveling guitar I’ve owned. Had a dual source K&K passive rig installed (mini+mic).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 06-21-2010, 12:46 PM

That depends....

Is it MY $1,000 or someone else's? ;-)

I own a Go Grande Walnut. I might take it somewhere once a year. When I do, I wish it sounded more like a full size guitar, but I wouldn't be able to carry a full size on those trips.

I liked the CA Cargo, but not enough to buy one for that once a year trip.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM

If I was not concerned about the price difference, I would much rather have a cargo than the little martin (which I have) or the baby taylor (which I sold). I like the Cargos. Have found I really like my Larrivee parlor and will take it if I can fly Southwest. Otherwise I take the Martin which was a present. If I am travelling in the car I always take the larrivee with me.

jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 06-21-2010, 01:05 PM

I spent several years collecting travel guitars so I voted other because I found there are three distinct categories here, not just one. I'll list my current favorites in each in no particular order. All are within the OP's budget btw.

Full Size - CA OX, Emerald X10, Voyage-air
3/4 Size - Baby Taylor, Martin LX, CA Cargo, Emerald X7, Voyage-air
Sub Compact - Go Grande, Vagabond, Emerald X5
Old 06-21-2010, 01:08 PM

I already have a custom Brunner full size Redwood/Walnut combi, ultra wide neck, etc... so my need with travel guitar is covered.
For way more than the 1000$ budget, tho.
But after having test (and own) several travel guitars, I decided that I needed a real guitar to travel with.
Overall, I prefer the Brunner approach to the Leach approach of the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/user/batzic
Old 06-21-2010, 01:31 PM

I'm traveling with my CA Cargo right now. Love it.

gits: good and plenty
chops: snickers
Old 06-21-2010, 01:42 PM

I would buy a Tanglewood TBF 3/4 size mini-folk (I own one already though), spend the value of the guitar again n pick-ups, and save the rest.
Old 06-21-2010, 02:14 PM

I like my Cargo for traveling, by a long shot. But, I haven't tried the Voyage-Air or Go Guitars. I have a Baby Taylor at my folks' house, but sine I got the Cargo, I carry it, and the Taylor goes untouched.

Another inexpensive idea for someone who insists on a wood guitar, but doesn't want to sink a lot into a beater: an Art & Luthierie Ami. Small, cheap, and sound remarkably good.

Collings OM2Hss -- Collings 0001A -- '79 Guild F30 -- Waterloo WL-14L
'37 National Rosita "Eurydice" -- NRP Radiotone Bendaway "Kokopelli" -- NRP Collegian
Old 06-21-2010, 02:54 PM
Charter Member

i'm not up to Tarpman's collection, but i have a bunch of travel guitars, and i must say that one size would not fit all.

the washburn rover and go guitars walnut grande are probably the thinnest, shallowest guitars i know of that aren't a backpacker, and i have 'em both. the go is louder with a bit of twang, and since it's made for you, you can get the neck size and shape, plus the woods you prfer. i love the rover for a travel guitar but one thing it doesn't have is volume. it's actually one of my personal faves, though. one could buy both and have lots of change left over from your stated budget.

i love my cargo even though i don't travel with it. a beautiful sound with lots of bass, a 1 3/4" nut and can be found used for under your price range.

i also have a yamaha jr1, a laguna ld-1 and a montana backpack guitar. i like the sound of the laguna, but the yamaha has a special place in my heart for it's less deep body and how responsive it is to different types of strings.

if i had to start my collection over, i'd get the cargo and either the rover. the cargo has a big, full sound that i love. the rover is well made and perfect for when you feel like playing quietly, and the foam case it comes with is also well made and protective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by revive View Post
If you can spend $1,000 or less on travel guitar(s), what will you do?

Option 1: Buy a carbon fiber guitar, e.g. CA Cargo or Emerald
Option 2: Buy a Little Martin/Baby Taylor AND a Voyage Air (i.e. you'll get TWO travel guitars)
Option 3: Buy / do something else (please explain)
Old 06-21-2010, 03:05 PM

Really love the CA Cargo guitar! The Cargo's volume and bass are reminiscent of and rival some full size acoustic guitars, however, the tone very much its own. So long as you respect its honest and original sound, it is definitely a gorgeous guitar that will treat you well in all climates!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:13 PM

Go guitar, perhaps a super grande

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion