The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 04-18-2014, 04:12 PM

Default Yulong Guo Guitar

After returning a fairly decent Martin 000 Nylon last week, I decided to push my upper limit to 4K.
And FYI, This will most likely be my last guitar purchase and so I want a good one.
If anyone has hands on experience with the Yulong Guo Concert I would love to hear about it--good or bad. I am looking for comments because it may be my best choice for the money.

If there are any other very good guitars in that range I would also appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks In advance.
Bob
2005 Alvarez AC60SC
2005 Alvarez MC90C
Steel
2002 Martin OMC18VLJ signature
2003 Mauel McCloud Custom
Old 04-18-2014, 05:56 PM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Alkis-Efthim...item3f33a9add3

http://www.alkis-guitars.com/

ps: I dont know the ebay seller so i cant guarantee anything.

Last edited by Paikon; 04-18-2014 at 06:01 PM.
Old 04-18-2014, 08:12 PM

Default check around

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyChip View Post
After returning a fairly decent Martin 000 Nylon last week, I decided to push my upper limit to 4K.
And FYI, This will most likely be my last guitar purchase and so I want a good one.
If anyone has hands on experience with the Yulong Guo Concert I would love to hear about it--good or bad. I am looking for comments because it may be my best choice for the money.

If there are any other very good guitars in that range I would also appreciate your suggestions.
Thanks In advance.
Bob
What are you looking for? Neither the Martin nor the Yulong are the choice of most performing classical guitarists and conservatory level students. The Yulong is a bit of a flier. I'd want iron-clad return rights or to play a few before deciding. Check http://www.guitarsalon.com/ to get an idea of the range of current concert classics, if that's what you are looking for.
Old 04-19-2014, 02:25 AM

If you're in the States, speak to Kris Barnett.

He's the real deal at a very reasonable price for what's on offer. Only problem is that you will have to wait but he occasionally has a spec instrument for sale immediately; that happend twice last year.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-19-2014, 03:48 AM

Quote:
If anyone has hands on experience with the Yulong Guo Concert I would love to hear about it--good or bad.
Bob
I've played several of these instruments. My teacher is a distributor and keeps a few of each model in his studio. Guo guitars are double tops - the soundboard is a sandwich of wood veneer and nomex honeycomb material. They have a unique sound that does not appeal to everyone. I have my own Redgate double top and love the power and sustain that it and most guitars of that type provide. Only you can say if it will appeal to you. The workmanship and woods on Guo's guitars are superb. If the tone appeals to you, they are a fantastic value.

Cincy
Old 04-21-2014, 06:47 AM

Default guitars

Thanks for the input.

I looked at Kris Barnett's guitars and they are very attractive. I am waiting on him to respond to my email. I could go with Kris.

My preferred scale length is 640-650 and the Alkis guitar is longer, but I thank you for the link Paikon.

The Yulong Guo is still a possibility but I would prefer a made-to-order guitar.

FYI, my Ideal would be: 640 scale, 51mm nut, thin neck profile (20-21mm at the nut), lattice top and an elevated fret-board.
Old 04-21-2014, 07:06 AM

OOOps, i didnt see that the particular guitar was 660 mm scale.
There are Alkis guitars for sale at 650 mm with elevated fretboard but unfortunately they sell in greek forums....in attractive prices too.
Anyway , happy hunting!

Last edited by Paikon; 04-21-2014 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-22-2014, 06:56 AM

Quote:
I could go with Kris.
That's exactly what I did; he seems to offer an awful lot. In line with that, his wait list is long - I've been waiting 18 moths - but ultimately you'll get a guitar made to your spec by a builder whose stock is only going up.

Being lattice braced, they won't sound like a "traditional" guitar (neither will a double top) but my experience with lattice tops from good builders has been extremely positive to say the least. Get a good luthier and you get tons of response and sustain vs. a traditional design (and also more volume), without giving anything away in terms of tone. I have a Philip Woodfield GC3 and it amazes me every time I pick it up. I waited 3 years for it but boy was it worth it.

Let us know how you get on.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 04-25-2014, 03:31 PM

Default Yulong Guo Concert Chamber Guitar

I own a Yulong Guo Double Top Concert Classical guitar in Spruce.

It is Guo's top model in his line up.

I think this is an excellent guitar for the money. If he had a Fake Spanish sounding name, no doubt this guitar would sell for far more.

In fact, I am considering selling mine if you are interested.

Reason I am selling is that I own too many at present and my wife would like me to reduce the "inventory".

send me a PM for more details. I am in Chicago

I think I have played this guitar about 30 times in the year and a half that I have owned it. I have a few others in Cedar that get my attention instead.

so this one has to have a new home

Regards
Steve
Old 04-25-2014, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrSteve View Post
I own a Yulong Guo Double Top Concert Classical guitar in Spruce.

It is Guo's top model in his line up.

I think this is an excellent guitar for the money. If he had a Fake Spanish sounding name, no doubt this guitar would sell for far more.

In fact, I am considering selling mine if you are interested.

Reason I am selling is that I own too many at present and my wife would like me to reduce the "inventory".

send me a PM for more details. I am in Chicago

I think I have played this guitar about 30 times in the year and a half that I have owned it. I have a few others in Cedar that get my attention instead.

so this one has to have a new home

Regards
Steve
Is this the model you own? Looks beautiful. Does it have an arched back?
2009 Hoffman SJ
2011 Hoffman SJ 12

https://paulashley.weebly.com/
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulAshley
https://www.reverbnation.com/paulashley
Old 04-26-2014, 04:59 AM

MrSteve
I have already decided to buy another guitar.
Old 04-26-2014, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lpa53 View Post
Is this the model you own? Looks beautiful. Does it have an arched back?
Yes, this is the model I own in Spruce. It has an arched back and is truly a great instrument
Old 04-26-2014, 06:06 AM

Quote:
MrSteve
I have already decided to buy another guitar.
OK, best wishes on whatever you purchase

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical