The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 04-05-2015, 04:06 AM

Default Ukulele D tuning with standard strings

A simple question. Is it ok to tune a concert uke to D tuning (up a whole step on all strings)? I haven't seen any D tuning string sets?
Old 04-05-2015, 09:20 AM

It's probably OK, but it's impossible to give a definitive answer without knowing more about the specific ukulele's build and what strings you intend to use. It's quite common to use the same string sets on soprano, concert, and tenor ukuleles, though the tension varies greatly because of the different scale lengths. As the roughest of guides, you might want to look at the Ukuleles by Kawika Strings page, which shows that the strings they use produce 21 lbs of tension on a soprano, 33 lbs on a concert, and 39 on a tenor. You might also check this Ukulele Underground Forums string tension calculation thread, as well as Arto's String Calculator.

With the right strings, you'll be fine, and can return to those thrilling days of a hundred years ago when everyone tuned to D.

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 04-05-2015, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeftArm View Post
A simple question. Is it ok to tune a concert uke to D tuning (up a whole step on all strings)? I haven't seen any D tuning string sets?
I've done it on occasion without issue on my sopranos. I would try it without any concern if it were my uke.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 04-05-2015, 06:45 PM

I play ukulele a lot, and I've never seen a set of strings labels as "C tuning" or "D tuning". They are just nylon strings, so go for it. You'll find strings listed for each type - soprano, concert, tenor, and baritone - but not for the tuning. Soprano and concert strings will be the same (except maybe for total length) and won't have any wound strings in the set. Tenor will sometimes have different combinations of wound and unwound 3rd and 4th strings, but mostly no wound strings at all. Baritone sets will almost always have wound 3rd and 4th strings.

My understanding is that America and Hawaii use mostly C tuning, whereas Canada and Europe primarily use D tuning. It mostly depends on who you are playing with, and whether you want be able to follow their hands / chord shapes. Probably more than you wanted to know.......
Old 04-07-2015, 09:38 AM

Thanks all for you comments. Looks like it won't do any harm.
I have just bought a copy of "Fiddle Tunes for Ukulele" and some of the accompanying audio requires D tuning to play along.
I recommend it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments