The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 05-11-2015, 06:00 PM

Default National Reso Rocket

Picked up a little Republic reso last year just for something different and am now in love with the reso sound. I'd never played a reso before and don't know anyone that has one so I had nothing to compare the Republic to other than cheap wood Rouge's at GC. I took a little trip to a music store that carries Nationals this past weekend and played a few. All I can say is WOW! It's like comparing a smart-car to a cadillac. I really liked the Reso Rocket steel and have decided to sell a few of my guitars and get the Rocket. My question is; has there been any changes made to the guitar since it's reintroduction? For instance, are they making it now with thinner steel than, let's say, 5 years ago or a different fretboard radius etc.
Thanks
Old 05-11-2015, 07:09 PM

National is fabulous about customer service so a quick phone call will clear up the thickness of the steel question. The picture on the site shows a flat back, like the early rocket I used to own, which would indicate thicker steel. But it could be an old picture.
Old 05-11-2015, 09:58 PM

Thanks blue, I didn't even think about that.
Old 05-12-2015, 12:37 PM

Wait til you try some of their wood body resos. Lovely.
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 05-12-2015, 05:02 PM

Yeah, I'm sure they sound wonderful, unfortunately the store I visited only had metal. I've only heard the wood on youtube videos by Steve James and Al Pettyway and they do sound amazing, but then, those two can make anything sound good. Before I do buy one I'll seek out as many different models as I can.
Old 05-13-2015, 11:38 AM

I agree with simply calling them up. They are a small operation with great customer service, and a pleasure to deal with. I have also emailed them and been responded to within a day or two. I was with you looking for a nice resonator, and the first National Resophonic that I tried completely blew away everything else I had picked up. Good luck hunting and I don't think you can go wrong with a National Resophonic.
Kevin Enoch Tradesman Open Back Banjo
Collings MT2-O Honey Amber
Royce Burt #560 5-String Fiddle
Old 05-13-2015, 12:50 PM

Before you buy anything, try a National Tricone. I like the steel models better than the brass. Mine is called a Vintage Steel.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments