The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 05-17-2012, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisMartinMan View Post
And just a normal part of owning a guitar that is not brand spanking new?
It's been my observation that as long as my arms can reach the neck and strings and my strap is long enough "belly bulge" isn't really a factor
Old 05-17-2012, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herringbone View Post
Somebody on here or somewhere on the internet, said something to the effect that "I don't trust a guitar that doesn't have some belly buldge". I'm certain these were not the exact words, but you get the idea.
Norman Blake said that---and he should know!
Old 05-17-2012, 11:40 AM

An old luthier once told me: "A guitar too stiff to bulge is too stiff to vibrate."

Actually, there is a standard: 1/4 inch. That is, hold a straight-edge across the lower bout just below the bridge. Anything up to 1/4'' on both sides out at the edge is just fine.

Jon Z.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:48 AM

I'm very interested in this as I was looking at a buying a second-hand guitar which should be well built (Cort Gold Edge Limited Edition) but had a Bridge Doctor installed by the owner as there had been some belly bulge after only a year or so of it being bought.

The price is good and the guitar plays nicely, but I was put off by the fact that the belly had bulged in only the first year or two, despite the guitar only being used at home and stored in the case, as the owner told me (he was very honest and up-front about it).

I have guitars that are 35 years old without bulge, so a guitar getting a belly bulge that needed a Bridge Doctor, stored at home and also very 'young' - that scared me off.

Am I being unreasonable or should I avoid it for that reason?

Love to hear the thoughts of others on this.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

I've bought/traded into a few older guitars showing a small bit of bulge. As long as the volume/tone and playability were still there, I figured that at 30-50 years old, they weren't that bad yet.

- Big bulge? Pass.

- Slight bulge, great sounding guitar, unbeatable price and still plenty of room to work with the saddle? Perhaps.

Using custom light strings (11-52) I've never noted any new (or increased) bulge on anything I owned.
Old 03-07-2024, 09:50 AM

Trevor Gore (Australian luthier with two guitar building books to his name) measured a bunch of 'good' guitars and found they had up to two degrees tilt of the bridge with the string tension. The tension and rotation pulls up the lower bout. This is different from the dome that most builders build into the top and back. Obviously different gauge strings will give you more or less lift. Some guitars are built for light strings and you will not be putting 13's on them. A stiffer top will allow for 13's and would be more suited as a stage guitar as you can drive the top harder and will have less tendency to feed back. Depends on what you want out of a guitar. A responsive guitar or one that can be used in a bar fight.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yingyangboy View Post
I'm very interested in this as I was looking at a buying a second-hand guitar which should be well built (Cort Gold Edge Limited Edition) but had a Bridge Doctor installed by the owner as there had been some belly bulge after only a year or so of it being bought
I have guitars that are 35 years old without bulge, so a guitar getting a belly bulge that needed a Bridge Doctor, stored at home and also very 'young' - that scared me off.

Am I being unreasonable or should I avoid it for that reason?

Love to hear the thoughts of others on this.
I would avoid it. I can think of two scenarios here.

(1) The guitar was under-built and is going to be structurally at risk, bridge doctor or not. Result: pass on the guitar.

(2) The previous owner didn't understand that most guitars are built with a top radius, and that lightly-built guitars can have some bulge and forward bridge tilt (1-3 degrees or so) without it being an issue. Result: bridge doctor has been installed for no reason. Pass on the guitar.
Old 03-07-2024, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGeorge View Post
LOL! When I first read the title of this tread I thought it referred to the player, you know, "belly bulge!"
Reading the subject line, I thought the same thing LOL!

G&L: Fullerton Deluxe ASAT Special
Old 03-07-2024, 07:36 PM
Charter Member

I was told by a luthier that too much belly buldge can be a result of over humidification for a long period of time. I could have bought a Froggy Bottom with quite a pronounced bulge in the top for a relatively cheap price, but ended up passing on it. It just bothered me too much. I've also read that there is a process where the buldge can be reduced under heat and pressure, but not many luthiers perform this process.
Old 03-08-2024, 05:40 AM

I use a strap even when seated to deal with my belly bulge.
1990 Guild GF30 Bld Maple Archback
Alvarez AP66
Baby Taylor
G&L ASAT Tribute T-style
Old 03-08-2024, 06:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by printer2 View Post
Trevor Gore (Australian luthier with two guitar building books to his name) measured a bunch of 'good' guitars and found they had up to two degrees tilt of the bridge with the string tension. The tension and rotation pulls up the lower bout
Yup. Ask a classical luthier "can I put strings of such or so tension on my guitar" and he'll probably tell you to look at the saddle/bridge assembly whether the saddle visibly leans more forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard Emerson View Post
Look at any guitar built by Dana Bourgeois, right off the assembly line. Quite rounded.
Heh, I was going to reply that I also preferred guitars with a visible belly and at least a humpback ^^

Pickle: Gretsch G9240 "Alligator" wood-body resonator wearing nylguts (China, 2018?)
Toon: Eastman Cabaret JB (China, 2022)
Stanley: The Loar LH-650 (China, 2017)
Old 03-12-2024, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
I would avoid it. I can think of two scenarios here.

(1) The guitar was under-built and is going to be structurally at risk, bridge doctor or not. Result: pass on the guitar.

(2) The previous owner didn't understand that most guitars are built with a top radius, and that lightly-built guitars can have some bulge and forward bridge tilt (1-3 degrees or so) without it being an issue. Result: bridge doctor has been installed for no reason. Pass on the guitar.

THanks for that. The guitar is in as-new condition and only a year or two old (well, the owner bought it a about a year ago, and it doesn't have heavy strings on it. So yes, I'll pass. If i had more experience I might be able to get a 'feel' for how good/bad it is, but I think that if I did buy it, it would always be on the back of my mind, and would detract from the experience of playign it (which is more of how my mind works than the guitar may work, but I know how my mind works...)

Cheers, all!
Old 03-12-2024, 03:59 AM
Charter Member

I measured my 1 year old D-16 Special and my 1979 D-35 with a straight edge. Both were at 1/16 on each side and both sound great.

A big bulge isn't going to make the guitar sound better, it could cause problems later on.
Old 03-12-2024, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNTaylor414 View Post
Pretty sure that's a Norman Blake quote. I think somebody here has it in their sig.

My D28 Marquis has a bit of bellying going on. It's not visable, but taking a thin, soft cloth and feeling the whole area below the bridge, I can feel some bellying. It seems pretty even though, almost like it was built that way (I hope). It feels very symmetrical, about 1-1.5" from the edge of the guitar, all the way around the lower bout, it starts a gentle rise to the bridge. Scared the crap out of me the first time I felt it.

Anybody else out there with a pregnant Marquis? Should I start crying now?
My ‘04 D18GE has a bit of a belly behind the bridge. So does my ‘00 HD28LSV. It’s all part of the plan. The LSV had a neck reset last fall, just before the holidays. The GE seems to be years away from needing a reset.

@ChrisMartinMan: Have you considered a room dehumidifier? We live in the PNW, where low RH (30-35%) is only a concern for maybe a week or so each year. Our house is on a hill, and the downstairs is below ground on two sides. It usually sits at 60-70% RH. We run a dehumidifier to keep it at 45-50%. All five of our guitars live in the “music room” down there. They are quite happy and stable.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion