The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-30-2012, 03:56 PM

I believe its a way for a steel string player to explore the wide world of classicals - but in my opinion you get what you pay for . some are better values than others and you can get lucky with a bargain priced model ( but not typically )
I bought a Lucida concerto a few years back -id say that's about where a decent guitar starts ( honestly )

Its like jumping out of an airplane while its on the ground compared to jumping out of a plane when its up in the air while your wearing a parachute .
Old 11-30-2012, 07:50 PM

The Lucida is fine to play around with. Have you tried Rick Turner's Renaissance models? You'll be blown away.
Old 11-30-2012, 08:18 PM

The reason I would get a cheap nylon guitar is because I know I would only play it occasionally, and it would just be sort of a side project. I'm not very into nylon guitars, and I know a lot of other steel stringed players sort of feel the same way. Also because I don't play nylon stringed guitars much, it's a lot harder for me to tell the difference between a good nylon and a bad nylon. If you blindfold me and play a gibson and an epiphone side to side I'd be able to tell the difference, but for nylon guitars, I probably couldn't.

I think it's a smart way to approach it, start small (on the wallet) if you like it upgrade. Besides when you buy your first nylon string guitar you don't know what you like/dislike about them. Same with your first steel string acoustic, it's just a guess. If I had to buy my first acoustic guitar again with $500 I wouldn't pick an EJ-160e again. I'd buy a used Yamaha or Guild for sure. That said, I do like my EJ-160e a lot still and play it daily, but you play and you learn.
2011 Guild M120E
Old 11-30-2012, 11:38 PM

Default Why cheap?

RWG has an awesome point by suggesting hearing a guitar played by someone else to evaluate it. I also find a music store a somewhat difficult environment to evaluate anything.
Cheap is subjective too, to me less than 1000 is cheap BUT I have three acoustic guitars that cost less than that, but have their own uses, great camping guitars, lol.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:45 AM

For me it was the exploratory phase (not knowing if classical guitar was going to be a stay for me earlier on) + budget (my-she-who-must-be-obeyed was pretty strict lately )

i started searching the local classifieds and get my hands on a $80 hyundai guitar and then started taking lessons. when i finally realized i was falling in love with classical playing, i then got the go ahead to get a almansa 435 that cost me low 1k+, solid cedar top, lam b/s. there's definitely a great difference in tone, but i still kept that hyundai for playing around when i'm on the couch.

-
Just my pick and a Blackbird OM.
Old 12-01-2012, 10:56 AM

Default Why cheap?

Lol, you gotta watch she who must be obeyed, I'm in the process of buying a new nylon oMartin 000c. And she is surprisingly not playing the "you have enough guitars" card. But if I know her, in a couple months there will be a large purchase she wants to make, and she will play the "you bought that guitar" card...
Old 12-01-2012, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpeehler7 View Post
The reason I would get a cheap nylon guitar is because I know I would only play it occasionally, and it would just be sort of a side project. I'm not very into nylon guitars, and I know a lot of other steel stringed players sort of feel the same way. Also because I don't play nylon stringed guitars much, it's a lot harder for me to tell the difference between a good nylon and a bad nylon.
That's exactly what I thought until I heard and played a really great nylon guitar - a Phillip Woodfield. I'd played quite a few nylon strings up until then but that guitar blew me out of the window. Believe me, it was really easy to tell the difference from a lesser guitar, just as it is to tell a great steel-string from a merely good one.

Indeed, that guitar changed a lot of things for me: I now play steel string infrequently and play the classical guitar a lot more. It's far more difficult to play (in terms of getting the right noise out of it rather than fingering) but I'm really enjoying the technical challenge and new repertoire to explore.

I'm guessing that when I'm over the relative novelty, I'll settle down to about 50% steel and 50% nylon.

No problem buying a "cheap" classical but it will entice you to pick it up about as much as a "cheap" steel-string.

Cheers,
Steve
Old 12-01-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrmusic View Post
Lol, you gotta watch she who must be obeyed, I'm in the process of buying a new nylon oMartin 000c. And she is surprisingly not playing the "you have enough guitars" card. But if I know her, in a couple months there will be a large purchase she wants to make, and she will play the "you bought that guitar" card...
LOL... I can totally relate. Sometimes, it's better when she plays the enough guitars card... those large purchases can be fatal...

-
Just my pick and a Blackbird OM.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 PM

Smile

+1 here on only wanting a nylon string for occasional 6-string fun .

One thing that should be mentioned is the higher level of quality that can be found in today's new cheap nylons - and acoustics in general - compared to many instruments of a couple of generations back.

When not thrashing a steel string or electric, have been playing tunes on a Hohner HC 06 student grade classical bought new a couple of years ago.

Negatives: action too high, all laminate body (not really a negative for me), no truss rod, non-traditional woods, neck a little wide (duh, it's a classical).

Positives: flawless build quality, great tone and resonance and decent volume for the thumb/flatpicking blues style I play, no strap buttons (duh again), good intonation, stays in tune well once strings settle in.

Bottom line: I have a very affordable nylon gitbox on which I easily lowered the saddle to improve the action, is durable (laminate), sounds great for the music I play, can easily add StewMac strap buttons to, has some resale/tradein value, and won't break my heart when it gets a ding in it.

Have no intentions of learning classical or flamenco but truly enjoy listening to others play. As for myself, will stick to a more unorthodox groove .

spayzkadet
Old 12-09-2012, 07:48 AM

I think a lot of it is because a majority of guitarists only play a little nylon here and there. Secondly, "less is more" has been a big part of guitarists' vocabulary since the 90's. Something about spending more money is less righteous.
Old 12-09-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtdmind View Post
The Lucida is fine to play around with. Have you tried Rick Turner's Renaissance models? You'll be blown away.
Havent had the oportunity to date -Im really a steel string player who dabbles a bit into the classical relm -the Lucida is about all i need . I like the sound of steel over nylon.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical