The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-13-2011, 10:48 AM

I've been using a couple different picks for strumming lately - red V-pick, fender 351 heavy, cool 1mm, and green tortex (i thk that is a .88).

I'm surprisingly happy with the heavy fender for the time being for what its worth....

I've never tried those dava picks.
Old 08-13-2011, 10:48 AM

right now i am using a 1.5 mm v-pick works great with very little noise. i prefer the 3mm v-pick or gravity pics. i didn't hear any pick noise until someone asked how i could not hear the noise so i tried very hard and now i can hear the noise, in fact thats all i can hear and it is driving me crazy. i used to be so happy with the 3mm picks. i guess i would pop for the blue chip if i was sure that the 3mm would not make the pick noise when strumming which by the way i only hear it when i am strumming, i am a flat picker so i don't do a lot of strumming but when i do it is annoying.
Old 08-13-2011, 12:25 PM

me too landru
Old 08-13-2011, 01:00 PM

I'm fairly new at playing and strumming is all I really do. I've been using V-picks and have been very impressed. My favorite are the Large Rounded Ultra-lights. They have very little flex to them (almost none) but are not much thicker than a "normal" pick.

Also, they are not sticky or textured, but they are the only picks I've found that I have no trouble holding on to. Not sure why, but I suspect they're magic.

Last edited by Scott.poole; 08-13-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-13-2011, 01:09 PM
Charter Member

Hi RK,

The Wegen Bluegrass flat pick is a very nice pick and seems to provide good note separation. It's a fairly bright sounding pick. Mostly, I use relatively inexpensive Dunlop 1mm flat picks. But for some songs or sounds, I use the Wegen Bluegrass.

- Glenn
Old 08-13-2011, 01:25 PM

Dunlop Ultex the rounded triangles 1.0 works for me.
i also use a red gravity pick & a red V-Pick, but i dont know what measurements they are. the rounded triangles are easier for me to hold onto. im saving up for a blue chip pick
Fishman Loudbox Mini

https://soundcloud.com/fat-daddy-206551814

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEo...JZsD2t0JaE03xg
Old 08-13-2011, 01:47 PM

it all depends on the guitar, i buy dunlop picks but use different types for different guitars. for the taylor i use a 1mm nylon pick. for the martin i use a 1.4 mm ultex pick and for all electric guitars i use .88mm tortex picks.

but for a acoustic guitars you need to try some out and see what sounds best for that guitar.
genz benz shenandoah acoustic 88
aria pro III
egnater tourmaster 4212

http://www.youtube.com/user/dannylightning

http://www.myspace.com/dannylightningrocks
Old 08-13-2011, 07:37 PM

Clayton Acetal .63 is a great pick for strumming. Clayton Acetal .63 is a great pic.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:51 PM

TS picks............nothing comes close..................

Old 08-13-2011, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post
Lol... oh hurt me Louie. Those things are impossible to find. A huge plus one on BlueChips. I've got two and love 'em both. Now to throw out another tonal option, a Buffalo Horn chip from Bob Colosi. I got one from him and then went to work duplicating the speed bevel on the BlueChip only much, much deeper. The tone is a little higher than the BlueChip and really clean, (1500 grit sandpaper/steel wool/ and then brown paper from a shopping bag to buff helps). I'm leaning toward it being my best tonal pick.

-jay
'98 SRV Fender Stratocaster
Old 08-13-2011, 11:34 PM

For strumming my "go-to" is Gator Grip in 1.5 and 2.0mm. I'm not entirely happy with them, they just lack "something". Want to try a blue chip or red bear, but can't justify $35 on an experiment right now.
Old 08-14-2011, 12:26 AM

Sir Louie;

You know, I've seen references to TS picks and I've looked for the TS pick company but I've never found them on the web. Now I'm getting the idea that the TS reference is to genuine tortoise shell from the deep days - am I right? I've never seen one - don't know what they would look like.
Old 08-14-2011, 02:47 AM

For readily available picks that can be found in most stores, the Dunlop Ultex sound the best to me and are inexpensive (and I have tried many picks).

Wegen Bluegrass are also another one of my go to picks.

There are some other good picks such as Red Bears and Pearse Fast Turtles (and others), but Blue Chip is in a class of its own. They handled extremely well and I was able to hear the string separation better than any other pick. I thought all the hoopla surrounding BCs might have been exaggerated by folks wanting to justify their expensive purchase or cite this as a type of status symbol - I was wrong! These things are really good. Only you will have to decide if it is worth 100 Dunlops.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM

I am not an authority on picks by any means and it seems mainly I play with flesh and nail. But there was an interesting experiment on the UMGF called the Traveling Pick Pack and I got on the list . The Pack had a number of Blue Chips, Wegens, Collosi ,and that is just a few. Literally at least 50 picks of all shapes and sizes. After three days I concluded that the three best for my playing style were:
Wegens
VPick
and....the best by a considerable margin...(yes I hate to say it) Blue Chip. I ordered two (different size and thickness ). And I intend to treat them well and hopefully not lose them because they are ridiculously expensive. But they were the best.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlouie View Post

My guitar teacher has a TS pick that she says has been in constant use for 36 years!!! It sounds phenomenal on her Goodall Grand Concert. Just a magic sound. How is it they don't seem to wear at all?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion