The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-13-2012, 06:26 AM

My thanks to BigRed for his thorough description of the necks on the original Applause guitars. As I recall, they also had plywood tops which were A-braced, which made them virtually indestructible (at least until you wore out the frets). The perfect guitar for busking or taking to the beach!
Old 06-14-2012, 07:59 AM

Yes and even after the frets are worn they can be levellled and re-crowned, although it is a long tedious job, much more tedious than a regular level/crown and then you will be using bare naked aluminum, no chrome plating. It's just to extend the life a little, it's not a 'fix' in the traditional sense. I have one sunburst in the heap that had chewed up frets, which I leveled and crowned, plus made a bone nut for with a little wider spacing and it plays ungodly good. I never quite agreed with the stock nut spacing. Too much fingerboard being wasted.
Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 PM

I think I'm up to 31 now. I'm not sure. I've been remodeling a room to put them all up:

I would LOVE to find an old store banner, display, sign, ANYTHING Applause. If anyone has any basket cases please let me know.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:33 PM

Default Green Applause

Hi. Finally subscribed to this site after a few years of browsing around. I'm trying to pry a seller away from his Applause for $75 (plus shipping). Looks to be in pretty good shape. The closest I can describe the color is "algae" green. Is that a rarer color. Haven't seen it before. What do you think?

Old 03-03-2015, 01:42 PM

Sorry, I haven't been here for a couple years.

I'm up to 57 Applauses now. They have their own room.
Old 03-03-2015, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksdaddy View Post
Sorry, I haven't been here for a couple years.

I'm up to 57 Applauses now. They have their own room.
That sounds... cumbersome. To each his own I guess.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:00 PM

I have one of those. I bought it new back in the 70's. It rode for several years in the sleeper of a semi and now hangs on the bedroom wall. I haven't played it in a long time. It's an AA14-1 made in Moosup, Conn.. I never heard about them exploding before. I'd put a picture up if it wasn't such a hassle.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
well, I bought an Applause (one of the originals) in about '78 or '79 and it had an all aluminum(?) fingerboard and frets....all one piece. As far as I can recall, that was the first "generation" of Applause.
Same here. I took it up to college, to europe, played on fisherman's wharf and in Bart Stations. Probably one reason why the Fluke Ukulele's modular fretboard/frets is comforting to me.
Old 03-27-2019, 04:31 PM

great thread! I've had an AA-15 since I was about 11. My stepdad was one of those bluegrass hillbilly types that played 6 instruments so he got me to play in his little band growing up.

Mine is the starburst design but while I was in grad school, I came home after a long day at Cal Poly and found water pouring out the front door of my studio, where the guitar was sitting on the carpet, so the wood soaked up and cracked in many places. (see pic below)

I just recently started going to an open mic night down the street from my place and decided to learn a few songs so I glued up the top so it didn't splinter and got new strings and it sounds pretty great still.
https://www.instagram.com/p/BsXMcBJFHMP

I'd like to add a pickup but trying to decide on which type. It doesn't have a hole for an undersaddle one. I had cheapo stickon piezo one as a kid but thats long gone and i dont want a cord sticking out of my soundhole. Any suggestions?
Old 03-27-2019, 09:10 PM

Dougrun,

To be honest, I wouldn't put money in an Applause. You can get a used, but BETTER, Ovation guitar, for not much more than a good pickup system. If money is tight, look at a Celebrity model of some sort. Unless you want a stage only guitar, skip the super shallow or shallow bowl versions.

By the way, here is a link you may find interesting about Applause guitars
https://uniqueguitar.blogspot.com/20...inum-neck.html
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 03-28-2019, 12:14 PM

Yeah, id rather spend the $200 on a nicer one. Even though mine isnt that worn.

this one looks nice. I dont mind the demo scratch.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...-tobacco-burst
Old 03-28-2019, 12:32 PM

Thumbs up for Ovation from me as well.
Old 04-16-2019, 03:06 PM

well, i went ahead and added a pickup anyway. Its a bit on the twangy high-end so i need to re-position it next time I change my strings but it is usable with some eq tweaks.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion