The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-12-2017, 09:36 AM

Default Advice needed badly

So I've been an acoustic player for years and am just crossing over into electric. I'm trying to figure out what guitar to get. I've had an electric cheapo no name from college and a $40 amp. But needless to say I'm finally ready to throw in the towel and get a actual guitar.

I've been looking at tele's, strata, Les Paul's and PRS. Out of that group the tele is the most distinct sounding but I really don't like the signature twang. I like a little warmer, melodic sound. I play mostly contry, pop, some John Mayer stuff.

However, I found this video and it's probably the closest to the sound I want. https://youtu.be/qPZ0pEzqPbw
It's a little warmer, almost strat like, with just a little edge.

My problem is I think so much is affects there starts to be so many different sounds and overlap. I also don't want to have to spend a fortune on amps and affects to get the sound I'm looking for.

I know this is little long and probly difficult to answer but I appreciate the responses. I'm almost thinking any of them with the right gear could get me what I'm looking for but not sure.

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 02-12-2017, 09:52 AM

That sample is pretty effect heavy for my taste.

I would suggest looking at the G&L Tribute series. Incredible values with top notch hardware and excellent pickups. You will find one that suits your style. My Bluesboy is Tele shaped, but with more options in the tone department. The Fallout is another unique guitar that has it's own voice and very cool.

Keep in mind that a huge part of the signal chain is the amp. Get a good quality tube amp.

You can get a Blues Jr. and a G&L Tribute for well under the cost of a MIA Tele or Strat. Another great and underappreciated amp is the Carvin Vintage 16.

There is a vast world of good electrics out there these days. Good luck.
I hardly ever use effects, just the guitar, amp & volume knob.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-12-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
So I've been an acoustic player for years and am just crossing over into electric...the tele is the most distinct sounding but I really don't like the signature twang. I like a little warmer, melodic sound. I play mostly country, pop, some John Mayer stuff...I also don't want to have to spend a fortune on amps and effects to get the sound I'm looking for...I'm almost thinking any of them with the right gear could get me what I'm looking for but not sure.
First off, welcome to the dark side...

Given the fact that you're primarily an acoustic player you might appreciate a full-size hollow/semi-hollow electric, since the size, handling qualities, and body resonance will be more familiar - and since you play country/pop and need something a little warmer than a Tele, you'd probably want to look at something with either P-90 single coils or mini-humbuckers; here's a few that should suit your needs that won't cost an arm, a leg, and a few other vital appendages :

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5420TORNG
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5622TVO
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5422TGWS
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/G5422TGSNWH
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/5AvCWK2NAT
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/5AvCWK2CNB
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/5AvCWK2BUR

FYI I own both a Gretsch 5622T (the recently-discontinued 3-PU/cats'-eye soundhole version) and a (blonde) Godin CW II, and IME you're not going to find better QC in the under-$1K bracket: the Godin line has become legendary in this respect (BTW,close your eyes and you'll think you're playing a Seagull mini-jumbo - same neck/body dimensions), the MIK Gretsch Electromatics are every bit the equal (and often the superior) of not only the Professional Series instruments but most of the vintage Brooklyn originals I've played over the last 55 years - and they've got all the iconic designs covered (Tennesseean, Nashville, Country Gent, White Falcon). In terms of tone, you'll find the P-90 has the expected single-coil clarity with more warmth than its Fender counterparts, and a characteristic upper-midrange bite that cuts right through a mix and can drive a tube amp into a nice "classic rock" crunch or singing overdrive with equal facility (think early Santana, the Who, George Thorogood, or Revolver-era Beatles); by comparison the Gretsch mini-buckers (Filter'Tron/Super Hi-Lo'Tron) are smoother and a bit less edgy, very versatile and well-suited for the country/pop styles you prefer, but also capable of rocking out when you crank it up (think Fall Out Boy, AC/DC, or Brian Setzer)...

I'll second Roy here in that a good guitar-cable-amp combination is all many players really need, and that a good tube amp is as important (if not more so) to your overall sound as your guitar. If you anticipate playing out at any time you'll need something in the 20-30W range to cover both home practice and most of the gigs you're likely to get (you can always mic/DI if you're playing a larger house or outdoors) - and for $400 this one'll take you anywhere you need to go:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/V22InfiCombo

FYI I own the earlier "blue-light" version and it's my go-to combo: small enough to fit on a crowded stage (or the back seat of your subcompact), powerful enough to cover a 600-700 seat auditorium with no problem, plays as clean as you need or as raunchy as you want, one of the best built-in digi-verbs I've heard in any amp, it'll power down for home practice at reasonable levels, and when the chips are down nothing sounds like a good tube amp - buy right the first time out and you'll never regret it...

Hope this helps...
Old 02-12-2017, 11:57 AM

you may want to go to your local big box store and play every guitar and every amp until you find the pairing you like. then, go home and shop online to educate yourself on the pricing. that will give you an idea about what you want to pay and where you want to purchase.

play music!

2014 Martin 00015M
2009 Martin 0015M
2008 Martin HD28
2007 Martin 000-18GE
2006 Taylor 712
2006 Fender Parlor GDP100
1978 Fender F65
1968 Gibson B25-12N
Various Electrics
Old 02-12-2017, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Although not extremely well known, the Reverend guitar line is stellar, and not just "for the money"! I would gauge the quality and fit on the Reverends I've handled (~15-20) to be equal to or surpassing every electric guitar I've seen... including Gibson and Fender higher end instruments...

They make a couple models that echo the 335-esque semi-hollowbody style... check out the Tricky Gomez (a nod to a famous Gibson semi-hollow called the Trini Lopez) and the Manta Ray, also.

You can find them for under a grand; the ony drawbacks would be they don't come with a case and the color selections (although attractive) are limited...

If I didn't already own two Gibsons and a Taylor T5, I would buy a Reverend without hesitation! Incredible value, tone and playability for the asking price...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 02-12-2017, 02:33 PM

not much experience, but i would decide what kind of sound you want 1st, then decide which model by the pick ups- i like single coils over humbucker types, currently i play a $15 pawn shop strat type and think its great
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 02-12-2017, 08:53 PM

Thanks guys for the replies. I need to make a trip to GC. It's a ways for me but worth it. Also part of the problem is I like a wide range of sounds. I'll definitely check out some of the suggestions. Its a little overwhelming with so many options and combinations!

Electrics:
Warmoth Tele

Amps:
Blues Jr.
AC15HW
Old 02-13-2017, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaw2821 View Post
Thanks guys for the replies. I need to make a trip to GC. It's a ways for me but worth it. Also part of the problem is I like a wide range of sounds. I'll definitely check out some of the suggestions. Its a little overwhelming with so many options and combinations!
Take your time. +1 on the Reverend stuff too.

If you want/enjoy a variety of sounds, go for a guitar with a variety of pickups. I love all three of my G&L's, but the Bluesboy is my favorite. HB at the bridge gives great warmth and will do Jazz, Classic Rock (think AC/DC) - middle position (HB+Alnico SC) is very glassy and Strat-like & Tele twang in the Bridge.

You may not like Tele twang, but you get the idea. If you go with all HB's or all SC's you do get variation, but I prefer more myself.

The Fallout (fer instance) has a P-90, a HB'er that is splittable, adding a SC tone.

Ibanez, Recording King, Gretsch, Martin
G&L, Squier, Orange (x 2),
Bugera, JBL, Soundcraft

Our duo website - UPDATED 7/26/19
Old 02-13-2017, 10:12 AM

You've gotten some solid advice so far. Try to go to GC during the day on a weekday, the earlier the better. You'll have a more peaceful experience.

The sound in that video is a pretty straightforward "Blackface" sound with a fair amount of reverb. Fender Princeton Reverb or Deluxe Reverb are low watt options and Vibrolux which is what the demo is using is higher wattage. Those are all pretty pricey and the tone at the end is a drive pedal, which you would also need.

The Bugera listed above is a good, lower cost option that will get you good clean sounds, has the reverb on board and has a second channel that can get you a good drive sound without a pedal. The only other thing the guy uses is a looper to keep his rhythm parts going while he plays over them. That's a whole other topic if you want to go that route.

Guitar wise, most of them with single coil pickups will get you close to that clean sound. It can be hard to keep Humbuckers really clean but there are tons of ways to make single coils more dirty. A used, Made in Mexico Fender Tele, preferably 2010 or newer would be a solid choice but Gretsch, Reverend and G&L offer great options as well. I'd look for a used USA G&L over a Tribute series. There are some great deals on used US G&L's.

Happy hunting
National Polychrome Tricone
National Model D Squareneck
Weber Gallatin A Mandolin

http://www.bandmix.com/jon-nilsen/
https://www.bandmix.com/limberlost/
Old 02-13-2017, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roylor4 View Post
Take your time. +1 on the Reverend stuff too.

If you want/enjoy a variety of sounds, go for a guitar with a variety of pickups. I love all three of my G&L's, but the Bluesboy is my favorite. HB at the bridge gives great warmth and will do Jazz, Classic Rock (think AC/DC) - middle position (HB+Alnico SC) is very glassy and Strat-like & Tele twang in the Bridge.

You may not like Tele twang, but you get the idea. If you go with all HB's or all SC's you do get variation, but I prefer more myself.

The Fallout (fer instance) has a P-90, a HB'er that is splittable, adding a SC tone.
I'll second the G&L Tribute Bluesboy recommendation. It provides the versatility that you mention and is remarkably well-built for the price.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:51 PM

If you're playing country music, you may just want that 'twang' one day! But its easy to dial out with the right amp.
Have you looked at the Tele 'Modern Player' model? It's got the Tele neck pickup, a Strat pickup in the middle and a humbucker in the bridge position with coil split.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 02-13-2017, 03:51 PM

Good idea to go to GC or a similar spot and just play a bunch of guitars. Along that line, I suggest:

1. Don't get in a hurry about selecting and buying, if you find 2-3 that feel good, let it settle in for a while before you buy.

2. I suggest you think about paying loads of attention to how it feels in your hand, and hanging from a strap if you play standing up. I've found that nothing sours me on a guitar more consistently than bad feel. Lots of good advice in the previous posts, but be careful not to get so lost in those details that you end up over-thinking it. Which is real easy to do.

3. A corollary: just remember that plenty of great music has been made on the "wrong" guitar. Great clean stuff with humbuckers, heavy stuff with stock Telecasters, Jazz with Strats, and so forth. If you get something that feels good, and has a base sound that you find pleasing through the amp you plan to use, you'll learn how to get variations on that with technique or equipment as the need arises.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:57 PM
Charter Member

One other point to consider - I would strongly recommend that no-one buy an electric guitar with any kind of tremolo for their first foray into the field. A floating Strat bridge, in particular, will drive you gently insane until you understand its nuances...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 02-13-2017, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatswodo View Post
...A floating Strat bridge, in particular, will drive you gently insane until you understand its nuances...
Easily fixable via the "Van Halen mod," a little trick Eddie used before he went to Floyds (and TMK he sets those up the same way) that takes all of 20 minutes and costs about $5; in short, it consists of loosening the strings, unfloating the bridge by tightening the spring claw in the rear cavity, adding the two additional springs that Leo put there in the first place back in 1954, and tuning the guitar back up to pitch - note that the trem action will be stiffer, and you'll only be able to do down bends (didn't hurt EVH none). I did this with mine from day one and, in addition to the improved sustain that comes as a result of direct transfer of vibration from the bridge to the body, it adds a natural reverb to both the acoustic and electric tone (not as audible as the classic Fender blackface version, but more a subtle airiness not present in either the stock version or one with the "Clapton mod" of blocking the tailpiece) - and let the other guys wonder "how come my Strat doesn't sound like that"...
Old 02-13-2017, 04:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Easily fixable via the "Van Halen mod," a little trick Eddie used before he went to Floyds (and TMK he sets those up the same way) that takes all of 20 minutes and costs about $5...
True enough, Steve, but your average novice wouldn't have a clue about doing this...
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Tags
buying, les paul, strat, tele