The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-24-2016, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Default String recommendation for my new CF?

Got my new Blackbird Lucky 13 this past Friday (my first CF guitar). It came with Elixer Nanowebs on it, and I'm not a fan of coated strings; so, before I change them out, I thought I'd get some opinions from the CF community on what you find works best on your guitar(s)? Thanks in advance!

By the way, it's a really great guitar and I'm having a lot of fun exploring all its nuances...

Martin 000-28EC
'71 Harmony Buck Owens American
Epiphone Inspired by Gibson J-45
Gold Tone PBR-D Paul Beard Signature Model resonator

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia
Old 10-24-2016, 09:25 AM
Charter Member

Beautiful guitar, I'm not going to be much help, but wanted to comment anyway. I've tried a lot of strings on my Rainsong, I am not a fan of coated strings either, but I keep coming back to the Elixir Nanos as sounding best on the WS1000, so I finally decided to give in and just keep them on there. I'll be interested in what you come up with as best for the Blackbird. Good Luck!
Old 10-24-2016, 10:30 AM

Might try Martin Retro monel strings. I like them on my Rainsong Jumbo....
Old 10-24-2016, 10:31 AM

I can no more recommend what string is best for you than I can choose shoes that are comfortable for your feet. But I use Nanowebs on my WS-1000 most of the time. I've tried others, but keep coming back.
Old 10-24-2016, 10:35 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
I can no more recommend what string is best for you than I can choose shoes that are comfortable for your feet. But I use Nanowebs on my WS-1000 most of the time. I've tried others, but keep coming back.
Of course... I was just curious what others have used/tried on their guitars to possibly narrow down my options.

Martin 000-28EC

"Lean your body forward slightly to support the guitar against your chest, for the poetry of the music should resound in your heart."
-Andrés Segovia

Last edited by drplayer; 10-24-2016 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:21 AM

I really like the Monels on my Rainsong.
Old 10-24-2016, 11:39 AM

On my L13 my favourites are:

Newtone double wound PBs
Thomastik plectrums
Thomastik spectrums

In that order.
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 10-24-2016, 12:21 PM

Disclaimer- I'm primarily a fingerstyle guy. Having said that, take my review with a grain of salt. I'm on my 12th set of different set of strings since purchasing my Shorty, and I've recorded the same fingerstyle song and strummed the same chord progression on every set while also keeping notes on each set in 3 catagories- tone, playability, and price. I switch far too often to know how long any will last, but it seems common knowledge that Elixir and Retros are the long lasting winners.

What I've tried so far:

D'addario EXP PB lights
D'addario Flat top PB lights
GHS Vintage Bronze lights
Red Brand Copper lights
Elixir 80/20 Polyweb lights
Elixir Nanoweb lights
John Pearse PB lights
John Pearse Silk and Bronze lights
Newtone Masterclass Doublewound PB lights
Martin SP Lifespan 80/20 lights
Martin Retro lights
Marin SP Lifespan PB lights (current)

On deck:

D'addario Nickel Bronze lights
Martin Retro Laurence Juber's Choice

In my opinion, the winners for fingerstyle, and in all categories have been the Martin Retros and the Newtones (with the John Pearse Silk and Bronze as a runner-up). They all feel great and have warm tone but do get a bit anemic in the bass register.

For strumming, pretty much any PB variety that is uncoated. I'm not a fan of Elixirs on my Rainsong but have liked the Martin strings quite a bit, and even though the Lifespans have some kind of proprietary coating, you cannot tell in sound or feel. The Martin SP Lifespan PBs that are on my guitar right now offer a very good bass response.
Old 10-24-2016, 02:36 PM

Count me as one who isn't impressed with the sound of Elixir Nanowebs. They came on my Composite Acoustics GX and I didn't care for them, just to be fair I put a set on my Martin HD-28... didn't like them there either.

the GX sounded much better, IMO, with a set of standard uncoated phosphor bronze.

Of course, the Lucky 13 might be totally different, and there are lots of strings I haven't tried yet.
Old 10-24-2016, 03:13 PM

When I had my Lucky 13 for a few months I really liked the Nano 12/53 80/20 on it and went back every time I tried a new set. FWIW
Old 10-24-2016, 03:43 PM
Charter Member

Count me as another player who has tried other brands (on the CF and wood guitars) and keeps coming back to the Elixir Nanowebs. I'm OK with the coated strings and really appreciate how long they keep sounding good. I am using the Nanowebs on both my carbon fiber guitars - interesting (maybe only to me?) that they sound crisper on the Shorty and more mellow on the X7.

Really a personal decision.
Old 10-24-2016, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Thanks everyone for your input...you've given me some nice options to try. I think I'll start with the Retros. I had them on a CEO-7 I used to own and loved them on it. They lasted forever, and this guitar is the same general size, so it's worth exploring.

I ordered a set of double-wound Newtones also...never tried them before, so they intrigue me. The only coated strings I ever thought sounded almost as good as an uncoated string were D'Addario EXP's, so I'll try them too. And I also have a few sets of SCGC low tension (light) strings, so maybe I'll try them as well.

And who knows...the guitar sounds good now as it is, so like some of you have experienced, maybe I'll wind up back with Elixers Nanos? Thanks again...sincerely appreciate the input!

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia
Old 10-24-2016, 11:39 PM

Nice range of strings, I'm yet to try these Santa Cruz strings.

With the Newtones, just make sure you tune them up before cutting (could unwind as they are round core).
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 10-25-2016, 02:51 AM

Currently I have on Ernie Ball Aluminum Bronze lights on my Rainsong HDR
They Have been on about a week. Tone is very nice. Somewhat punchy, like a Gibson J50.
Retro Lights have been on my Rainsong much more than any of these others. The tone is Vintage Gold in my opinion. So much so that it has influenced others who have played my CF that they had to have one of their own. Retros will be back on as soon as my frustration with the pitchy fickleness of these Aluminum strings has spent my last ounce of patience.

Here are a list of other strings I've tested.
Adamas Phosphor
GHS silk, Phosphor Bronze, 80/20s
D'Addario -Bluegrass, EJ-16
Elixier- Nanos Light, Poly Light
Ernie Ball- Earthwood 80/20, Phoshor Bronze
DR's
SIT's
Martin- Marquis, 80/20's, Bluegrass,

to my ear, feel and style
RETROs are the hands down winner. custom lights - TR mediums. Doesn't seem to matter
after 2-3 hours of hyperactive play, they settle in, stay in pitch, and last for a couple of months during the warm humid season here in VA, and 4-5 months during the winter season.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 10-25-2016, 06:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirwhale View Post
With the Newtones, just make sure you tune them up before cutting (could unwind as they are round core).
Good tip...thanks!

Martin 000-28EC

-Andrés Segovia

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber