The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-19-2016, 09:00 AM
Charter Member

Per Sean, 34" scale - yay, a victory for people with normal sized hands! ;-)

I'm pretty much committed to getting one of these, so if anyone stateside wants to try it simply hie your butt to Chicago in a few months and check it out. Lol.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
A few electrics, a bunch of basses
Wandering the continent - CA > IL > NH > TX (for good, hopefully)
Old 08-21-2016, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Sean, a question that popped up on a bass forum - will these all be built with an adjustable truss rod, or will it be an option? As a bassist I can't think of many of my cohorts that would want it without a truss rod, there are just too many string options that need action tweaking.

Ken
Emerald Balor 5 string, Taylor GS-Mini Bass, RainSong SGA-FLE, WS1000 Classic N1 and WS3000 N1, Republic Resolian Style 804, Royall Teardrop Tenor Reso
Old 08-21-2016, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyDuty View Post
Sean, a question that popped up on a bass forum - will these all be built with an adjustable truss rod, or will it be an option
HeavyDuty, could you link to that discussion? I'm curious to see what the bass folks are saying.

And for Emerald, I think it would be a good idea to add truss rod info to the specs on the the web site.
Old 08-21-2016, 10:47 AM
Charter Member

Is linking to other forums allowed? If not, would a mod please take this link down:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/new...ssive.1239257/

Please realize that ABGs are a source of controversy in the bass world, with two main camps - those that use and like them, and those that have never touched one but think they are useless. ;-) (I keed, I keed...)

Ken
Old 08-21-2016, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Please realize that ABGs are a source of controversy in the bass world, with two main camps - those that use and like them, and those that have never touched one but think they are useless. ;-) (I keed, I keed...)
Some good interest from the open minded, but wow, some of those people don't even try to be polite, do they? I admire your courage for posting over there.

Interesting that it seems to not have occurred to those who hate wood ABGs that carbon fiber and innovative design could maybe make a little difference...
Old 08-21-2016, 12:12 PM
Charter Member

Oh, I'm used to it - I'm one of the moderators there. The body size and shape of the new Emerald is what's going to make the difference. My Tacomas are pretty big, but an engineered CF body will probably leave them in the dust both tonally and for acoustic volume.

Ken
Old 08-21-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Is linking to other forums allowed? If not, would a mod please take this link down:

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/new...ssive.1239257/

Yeah, they can be pretty close minded over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Some good interest from the open minded, but wow, some of those people don't even try to be polite.....over there.
Should I be counted among the latter?
Old 08-21-2016, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Pauhana View Post
Some good interest from the open minded, but wow, some of those people don't even try to be polite.....over there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
Should I be counted among the latter?
You, Jeff? As far as I can tell, you're a gentleman and a scholar.

I was mainly thinking about the guy whose post started out: "You guys seems not to get it, haven't you?"

Notable for its creative grammar as well as its pugnacity.
Old 08-21-2016, 07:38 PM

Him, again?
Old 08-22-2016, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Sean, a question that popped up on a bass forum - will these all be built with an adjustable truss rod, or will it be an option? As a bassist I can't think of many of my cohorts that would want it without a truss rod, there are just too many string options that need action tweaking.
Hi HeavyDuty,

Our new acoustic bass has a double action truss rod as standard! The Opus model will feature Gotoh GB707 Bass Machine Heads 20:1 ratio (cosmo black), while the Artisan will have Gotoh Res-O-Lite GB350 Bass Machine Heads 20:1 ratio (cosmo black). The scale length of the new acoustic bass is 34". We will have further updates for you all as soon possible! It's all go here at Emerald, so much exciting stuff happening that we can wait to tell you about! In the meantime, any further questions, ask away!

Best Wishes

Sean
Old 08-24-2016, 08:51 AM
Charter Member

Well, I'm committed - on the production schedule for an amber Artisan fretted five, possibly a woody. Anyone need a kidney?

Ken
Old 08-24-2016, 09:10 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Well, I'm committed - on the production schedule for an amber Artisan fretted five, possibly a woody. Anyone need a kidney?
Haha, way to go HD. Enjoy the anticipation. I'm sure we'll all look forward to seeing the final product.
Old 08-24-2016, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Exciting times ahead, guys!

Sean
Old 08-24-2016, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Wow, I'm excited for you, and I can't wait to hear what you think!

It's perfect that you have those Tacomas for comparison, too.

_____
Old 08-31-2016, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

And the name is... Balor!

Ken

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber