The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-30-2015, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twilo123 View Post
Like title says is that ok or should I try something like AT2020 instead?
Home studio recording.
If you already have one, try it.

Since we have no information in this thread about your guitar, concept, or recording chain, you need to start Somewhere.

George
Old 11-30-2015, 12:40 PM

You might want to consider recording the audio to the computer at the same time as you use the Canon for video, then combining them in software.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 11-30-2015, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone Gopher View Post
If you already have one, try it.

Since we have no information in this thread about your guitar, concept, or recording chain, you need to start Somewhere.

I just gave this info above Tone. What am I missing?

Quote:
I also have an edirol ua101. http://www.roland.com/products/ua-101/
This would get me phantom power but again I could only get it to pc right.
Trying to get 2 setups.
1. Just record audio. Half of my instruments don't have electronics so I need to mic them. For audio recording straight to pc is fine.
2. Record video with audio mic to my instrument. I have a t3i for video or would need to use laptop built in camera. For t3i I thought about bullet audio mount but still that would be X feet away and pick up ambient noise no.

What I want to do listed in quote. I don't sing so I really just want to record instrumentals. I want to do audio and 2nd sometimes video with audio.

My current hardware options list:
Audio:
Shure sm58 xlr
Blue yeti USB
I just bought the tascam dr-22wl. Didn't have it when I posted thread.
Edirol ua101

Video:
Canon t3i

Recording/DAW
Audio: Logic Pro
Video: iMovie

Various:
PC

Instruments:
Different string instruments. Not sure what info you need here. Mostly acoustic instruments with no electronics built in. There are some with electronics but even those I could mic up except electric guitar/bass. Those I would need direct input if I were to use them.

Guitar Player
Old 11-30-2015, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyAxe View Post
Fran for the win! To the OP, if I only had one condenser for recording it would be large diaphragm multi-pattern mic. In my usual setup at home, just guitar and vocal, I use two of 'em, in fig-8 patterns, like in this video from Fran ... even if you can only afford one right now, it can still be used in cardioid pattern until you get another.

Really Rusty? According to info above your post I thought I need a small diaphragm mic...would I lose much by going large diaphragm? Is large diaphragm good overall mic? My main interest right now is acoustic instrument instrumentals but who knows as I get into it right. Maybe large would future proof myself?

Guitar Player
Old 11-30-2015, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Really Rusty? According to info above your post I thought I need a small diaphragm mic...would I lose much by going large diaphragm? Is large diaphragm good overall mic? My main interest right now is acoustic instrument instrumentals but who knows as I get into it right. Maybe large would future proof myself?
Here's the thing with large / small diaphragm mics.

1. Don't overthink this. Either one will work well for an acoustic guitar and large diaphragm mics tend to be useful for more and different applications. So if you are going to have only one starter mic, I'd choose a large diaphragm. In fact, that's what I did when I started messing with mics.

2. The differences are subtle, but in general a small diaphragm mic will react more quickly to sound wave pressure than will a large diaphragm mic, because the capsule membrane is of a smaller diameter so there is less mass to move around. This is more noticeable at higher frequencies because those are comprised of shorter wavelengths. So small diaphragm mics can capture certain overtones and some nuances in a complex signal that might escape a large diaphragm mic.

3. This same principle makes large diaphragm mics a better fit for midrange and low frequency signals, such as the human voice. You will seldom see a recording wonk reach for a small diaphragm mic when setting up to record a solo vocal. The mic of choice will nearly always be a large mic.

4. So one size is not "better" than the other. They each have quirks and characteristics that lend them to particular uses as the go-to mic.

5. You can see this in action if you have an opportunity to see someone recording a grand piano performance. There may sometimes be a large diaphragm mic at the very far end of the piano to pick up its ambient and reflected signals but the preferred method is to clamp a bar above and across the strings at about two feet away from the hammers, with two small diaphragm mics affixed to the bar pointed towards the far end and down at the strings, so as each to receive a spray of direct signals from the piano's soundboard.

This dual micing technique works best with small diaphragm mics because a grand piano's direct signals are exceedingly complex, with tons of overtones upon overtones. Here is where a small diaphragm mic will bring out stuff a large mic might miss.

6. Bottom line is: Don't sweat it. A single large diaphragm mic will work fine.
Gold Tone open back banjo
Anon. mountain dulcimer
Creaky old Framus 5/1 50
About 1/2 of Guitar One completed; currently intimidating me on account of the neck geometry.
Stacks of mahogany, spruce, maritime rosewood, western red cedar
Expensive sawdust

Last edited by CaffeinatedOne; 11-30-2015 at 02:56 PM.
Old 12-01-2015, 09:35 AM

Quote:

Guitar Player
There's no one "right" mic. No, you won't lose anything, and really, I think you'd be gaining. Just to confuse things, there are also medium diaphragm's, like the AKG C1000 (not one of my favorites, but I have one), and stage condensers like the SM86 (got a couple of those, too).

You might notice, mic's are like guitars ... you can't live with just one ... for long.
Old 12-01-2015, 10:57 AM

Quote:

Guitar Player
The difference is much smaller than most folks think. Here's a level matched same source recording of large and small diaphragm mics: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...ur-more-clips/

Can you tell which is which?

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 12-01-2015, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The difference is much smaller than most folks think. Here's a level matched same source recording of large and small diaphragm mics: http://www.homebrewedmusic.com/2009/...ur-more-clips/

Can you tell which is which?

Fran

Cmon what's the key Fran?!
Old 12-04-2015, 01:14 PM

Key sent by PM. Sorry for the delay.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD