The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-25-2007, 10:52 AM

Default Roland AC-90

Has anyone gigged with or spent some time in front of this amp? Headroom, comparisons to other models, impressions, etc?

Thanks,
Old 11-25-2007, 07:35 PM

I used to own an ac-60, I sold it cause I just didn't need it....I went to my local GC and I saw an ac-90 and I played multiple guitars through it and I found that if you like the sound of an ac-60, you'll like the sound of an ac-90. The preamps are the same, so the only thing you'll pay more for is the extra 15watts per channel. It's a very punchy, clear and articulate amp. Some folks may not like the sound cause it's not very "warm" sounding, but it'll cut through a mix like a knife.

One BIG disappointment for me (which was another reason why I sold my ac-60) it still lacked a "big" sound. The low end is still a bit weak, granted there is a subwoofer out on the amp, but I believe if you buy an amp, you shouldn't have to buy another additional amp/sub to get the sound you're looking for....

I guess it'll depend on what you plan to use the amp for. If it's simply for monitoring, you can't beat it....it's small and and very portable. But if you're using just for playing at home for pleasure, get an ultrasound or cali blonde and call it a day. For the price of an ac-90 there are more complete sounding amps out there.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 11-26-2007, 05:45 AM

The difference in power, based on Roland's specifications, between the AC-60 and the AC-90 would hardly be noticeable to the ear. The significant difference between the two is that the AC-90 is equipped with 8 inch speakers instead of 6.5 inch speakers plus a pair of tweeters lacking in the AC-60.
Old 11-26-2007, 06:56 AM

Default Roland AC-90

Thanks guys for the input.........I played a gig Saturday night (duo), with an on loan Fishman Loudbox Performer (130W) Using a (also loaned Gibson Songwriter geetar). So, it brought back memories of using a Yorkville 150W box and needing every bit of it's headroom frequently for gigs in the past. So, I'm takin' a chance after some online checking and ordering a Genz Benz 150LT model. We shall see...........

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification