The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-20-2007, 04:12 PM

Default OVERDRIVE pedal in front of a SansAmp?

this one is for you tech-savvies.

ok, so my "sansamp" is actually a behringer gdi21 - a cheap attempt of a copy, but I do like some sounds, especially clean I'm getting out of it into a small solid-state amp or direct. certainly livens up the small amp, adds bite and warmth.

channel-switching is what i'm after and so I thought: if I get a cheap overdrive (or compressor?) pedal, like Danelectro, can I expect to overdrive the clean setting on the sansamp into anything useful (tube-like)?

I'm just going on the premise that if a pedal can overdrive a tube amp's clean channel, and if I like a clean tube-simulated "channel" of the sansamp, maybe I can overdrive that too.

or maybe plugging another gdi21 into the first is a better proposition? they are cheap enough.

I'm still not sure I understand how people use compressors to overdrive a tube amp, but I've seen it mentioned. would that be a better chance?
Old 11-21-2007, 10:27 AM
.tom the übergeek

I would try a distortion box first. Should work fine.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:55 PM

Ditto. Set the amp clean and use a Boss DS-1 distortion pedal. That'll be a great start. Used to have one. Never used one, but the Digitech Hot Head could be another great one to start with. Set the level control so that the distorted tone is the same volume as the clean tone, and you're good to go.

Ovation CSE24

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification