The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 12-02-2015, 04:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Suffice to say I'm trying to cover the bases by aiming to make recordings with a wide stereo image for those with the hearing capacity and available sound systems to enjoy it while at the same time taking into account that many "seniors" no longer have either. My repertoire tends towards classical pieces and traditional instrumental folk song arrangements. No surprise then that my audience tends to have even whiter hair than I do.
I'm not sure how you'll accomplish this, unless those who don't hear in stereo have mono playback systems. If they do, then I'd say MS is your answer. It's specifically meant to produce stereo that degrades nicely to mono, and was more common when old TVs and radio were mono. But if they just, say, can't hear out of one ear, and listen to a stereo playback, they'll hear one side of a stereo playback, which is different.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Young View Post
I'm not sure how you'll accomplish this, unless those who don't hear in stereo have mono playback systems. If they do, then I'd say MS is your answer. It's specifically meant to produce stereo that degrades nicely to mono, and was more common when old TVs and radio were mono. But if they just, say, can't hear out of one ear, and listen to a stereo playback, they'll hear one side of a stereo playback, which is different.
Given M/S readily sums to mono I'll definitely work on trying to get good recordings with that configuration. However,; I'm not going to limit myself to M/S. I'd rather explore different mic'ing techniques for different purposes and get more comfortable with the whole process of home recording.
Old 12-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor B. View Post
Given M/S readily sums to mono I'll definitely work on trying to get good recordings with that configuration. However,; I'm not going to limit myself to M/S. I'd rather explore different mic'ing techniques for different purposes and get more comfortable with the whole process of home recording.
If you are concerned about mono then I suggest you position one mike and listen to it in mono trying to get the mike the positioned for the best sound. Then, without changing the position of that first mike, position a second mike for the best stereo sound. Record in stereo. You can separate out the first mike's sound later if you want it for mono play. You can tweak (equalization, reverb, etc.) the mono and the stereo recordings differently for the best sound. Too much work for me, but if you want to have both mono and stereo playback it gives you more options and control than MS recording.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 12-02-2015, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
If you are concerned about mono then I suggest you position one mike and listen to it in mono trying to get the mike the positioned for the best sound. Then, without changing the position of that first mike, position a second mike and listen to the pair recorded in stereo. Record in stereo. You can separate out the first mike's sound later if you want it for mono play. You can tweak (equalization, reverb, etc.) the mono and the stereo recordings differently for the best sound. Too much work for me, but if you want to have both mono and stereo playback it gives you more options and control than MS recording.
Great suggestion. More work perhaps but since I'm already on the learning curve........why not do it? Thanks!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
acoustic guitar, miking technique, recording