The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 11-23-2015, 07:59 PM

Default QuestionRe: Mic

I am a guitarist and have a question re: microphones, recording, performance,
just how important is the shock mount, and also the pop filter?
I'm doing instrumentals, so I'm not sure if the pop filter is needed
(or because I've emptied my piggy bank buying sh%t lately and don't know if I really HAVE to have these items now (before the outbreak of WWIII and the deliveries stop...)),
I suspect they are mandatory for the recording session, but would like some opinions from experienced users
thanx
sunaj
Old 11-23-2015, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunaj View Post
(or because I've emptied my piggy bank buying sh%t lately and don't know if I really HAVE to have these items now (before the outbreak of WWIII and the deliveries stop...)),
I suspect they are mandatory for the recording session, but would like some opinions from experienced users
thanx
sunaj

A pop filter on guitar or any instrument is totally useless. Shock mounts aren't necessary unless you get floor vibrations climbing up the stand and therefore influencing the microphone.
Old 11-23-2015, 09:23 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
thanx
sunaj
Hi sunaj…

I use sensitive mics, and have had some performers who breathe rather heavily out of their noses and have had 'breathing/air' hit mics during recording sessions. So I have put a pop filter handy to drop in front of them to keep it out of the mix when the mics are below chin level.

First time it happened, we'd wrapped up the session and I was playing back roughs on our living room system with a sub-woofer. Wow! What a surprise!

It really makes a most disconcerting low frequency sound when breathing hits a large diaphragm and is played back through a system with a decent subwoofer.

It's not mandatory, but it is something that a HiPass filter (bass roll-off) cannot prevent because it's a physical effect.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-23-2015, 09:33 PM

Thanx for the comments
sunaj
Old 11-24-2015, 03:02 PM

Quote:
thanx
sunaj
Hello Sunaj,
In my experience pop filters and shock mounts are more essential when recording vocals than guitar tracks. That said, the closer you place the mic/mikes to the sound source the greater the need for pop filters.
Old 11-25-2015, 09:22 AM

I had a classical guitar player in once to check out the studio. He was very fiddly. I gave him a CD of one tune so he could hear what he sounded like in my studio.

He emailed me that there was some noise at x minutes and y seconds, What malfunction of my gear had caused THAT!!!!!!????

I emailed back, "That's you breathing."

No pops, just the sound of him laboring while playing. I was surprised that he couldn't tell it was him.

Fortunately he never came back!

Regards,

Ty Ford
Old 11-25-2015, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi sunaj…

I use sensitive mics, and have had some performers who breathe rather heavily out of their noses and have had 'breathing/air' hit mics during recording sessions. So I have put a pop filter handy to drop in front of them to keep it out of the mix when the mics are below chin level.

First time it happened, we'd wrapped up the session and I was playing back roughs on our living room system with a sub-woofer. Wow! What a surprise!

It really makes a most disconcerting low frequency sound when breathing hits a large diaphragm and is played back through a system with a decent subwoofer.

It's not mandatory, but it is something that a HiPass filter (bass roll-off) cannot prevent because it's a physical effect.

Actually that's what the HPF is for. The fact that the sub reproduces it tells you it's exactly what the HPF is designed to remove. Any decent digital desk will do it but some analogue HPFs on older or budget desks may not have a steep enough slope to do the job properly (realistically you need at least third order, 18dB/octave). If you use a DAW it should be possible in there though.

On outdoor live gigs I do sometimes use foam windshields if it's windy on my drum overheads and guitar mics (AKG C451/CK1s).
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB
Old 11-25-2015, 11:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam.spoons View Post
Actually that's what the HPF is for. The fact that the sub reproduces it tells you it's exactly what the HPF is designed to remove..
Hi s.s…

Unfortunately the 'boomph' produced by air hitting a mic capsule is not limited to things below the High Pass Filter limit…and a pop screen is cheap insurance.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-25-2015, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Hi s.s…

Unfortunately the 'boomph' produced by air hitting a mic capsule is not limited to things below the High Pass Filter limit…and a pop screen is cheap insurance.

I seriously doubt that a pop screen will eliminate all breathing and/or extraneous vocal sounds from reaching the mic. Heavy breathers/grunters need to work on that as part of their presentation, whether live or in studio. I know of one player who used a surgical mask to keep his mouth noises out of his recordings.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:57 PM

Shock mounts are nice, but not necessary. A functional pop filter (for vocals) can be made from discarded panty hose and a wire coat hanger.
Old 11-26-2015, 09:54 AM

Quote:
Hi s.s…

Agreed a pop filter is usually a good idea, but if you can hear it in the sub the HPF will remove it is my point. For acoustic guitar you can HPF aggressively at 80 Hz at 24dB/Oct or often higher which will get rid of most of the pops, thumps and rumbles without affecting the sound. For live female vocals I'll often HPF at 150Hz or even higher. wind the frequency up 'till you hear it changing the sound than back it down a little.
Mountain D45 (mid '80s)
Brian Eastwood ES175/L5
Gibson Les Paul Custom (1975)
Brian Eastwood '61 Strat
Bitsa Strat with P90s (my main electric)
The Loar F5 Mandolin,
Samick A4 Mandolin
Epiphone Mandobird
Brian Eastwood '51 P Bass
NS Design Wav EUB
Giordano EUB

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD