The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-27-2007, 06:09 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default For recording what do I use?

I bought a Boss BR 532 4 track off of eBay 5 months ago. I think it is beyond my newbie capabilities. And maybe too much for maybe multi layers of recording of acoustic and vocal. I've seen stuff that looks alot more user friendly.
I can get back out of it what I have in it just by going back to eBay.
Should I quit being a baby, drop $30 on a instructional DVD I just found on eBay or sell and find something more user friendly? Lets play stay under $234.
Help.
Old 11-27-2007, 06:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
I bought a Boss BR 532 4 track off of eBay 5 months ago. I think it is beyond my newbie capabilities. And maybe too much for maybe multi layers of recording of acoustic and vocal. I've seen stuff that looks alot more user friendly.
I can get back out of it what I have in it just by going back to eBay.
Should I quit being a baby, drop $30 on a instructional DVD I just found on eBay or sell and find something more user friendly? Lets play stay under $234.
Help.
Hi YJ...
Simple is nice.

$200...
The Zoom H2 is pretty much point-n-shoot. I use one for capturing sample files, lesson files & other on-the-fly recordings.

Good mics, good features, able to hook to your computer and drag-n-drop files for transfer. Records both mp3 and wav.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-27-2007, 07:14 AM

Had one, been there, and you're right, the learning curve is very steep. Get the video. I bought one for mine and later, when I upgraded to a Tascam 2488, I got one for it, too. Turns out, the same dude did both videos.
I found the easiest way to use the video, is use the pause button, and go through the proceedures, step by step. Rewind if neccessary.
If I had it to start over again, though, and were in your position, that Zoom H-4 is probably what I'd get. In fact, I'd still like to have one for portability and to take to the mountains with me in case I'm "inspired." LOL
Old 11-27-2007, 01:24 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

I asked the dude at Guitar Center. With everything at his fingertips he recomended MBox Mini with Pro Tools LE7. I do have a laptop I can pretty much dedicate to doing recordings.

I'm not so worried about on the fly recordings as much as I want to capture the differences in sound in my Acoustics, be able to mix in lead and rythm and maybe throw in some vocals. Oh yah, and not want to blow out my brains trying to figure it out . I just picked up a cheap Shure mike.
Thanks for the help folks.
Old 11-27-2007, 01:57 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
I asked the dude at Guitar Center. With everything at his fingertips he recomended MBox Mini with Pro Tools LE7. I do have a laptop I can pretty much dedicate to doing recordings.

I'm not so worried about on the fly recordings as much as I want to capture the differences in sound in my Acoustics, be able to mix in lead and rythm and maybe throw in some vocals. Oh yah, and not want to blow out my brains trying to figure it out . I just picked up a cheap Shure mike.
Thanks for the help folks.
Hi YJ...
The M-box is good (had one) and I like the Lexicon Lambda better (more bang for the buck). Similar unit, with different OEM software.

Lambda - click

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 11-27-2007, 02:15 PM
.tom the übergeek

If you can't handle the Boss, don't even consider software/hardware bundle.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:37 PM

Using a tape 4 -track machine is always a good way to start as the boss recorders are based on them. Buy one used for under $100... After you rewind and fast forward enough, you will appreciate digital - not to mention all the effects, etc.

Or skip that and get a hand held digital - supposed to be fairly user friendly - easy to record lessons and jam sessions too.

Computer recording is great, but it's where you want to end up, not where you want to start. Stick with a digital 'all in one' model to learn on.

A final note - you have to learn how to record just like you have to learn how to play. The rewards of both are great, and together? Aw, man, that's where it's at!
Cube Street

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification