The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-22-2007, 09:02 AM
Guest 720

Default Mic for recording

Can anyone reccomend a good mic to use for recording. Nothing fancy, I don't play out, but so far I've only recorded using the mic that came with my pc, ans since Christmas is coming up, I thought it would be a good time to ask for a decent mic.

Also, aside from the mic, assumeing I still want to record into my pc, what else might I need? Thanks!

John
Old 11-22-2007, 09:07 AM

Before we can recommend a mic, make sure to answer the following:

1. What's your price range?
2. What all are you mic'ing?
3. Are you wanting to go directly into your computer via USB or do you have any sort of mixing device or pre-amp?

This is something that I teach my students: the more precise the question, the more precise the answer.

I'll check back in a little while.
Old 11-22-2007, 09:19 AM
Guest 720

Only mic'ing the guitar, a Taylor GS8, no singing. I'm guessing that I can get a good mic for $100, give or take? Right now, I'll go directly into the pc and maybe get into pre-amps and mixing later.

Is going directly into that pc a bad thing? Like I said, nothing fancy happening here, but I'm sure I'll get a better sound with a better mic than the cheapie that came with the pc. Thanks for the help!

John
Old 11-22-2007, 10:41 AM

They do make podcast stuff where a studio mic is connected to the computer via usb. I think it's the most afforable option you have considering your budget.

Rainsong WS1000
Taylor "T6" Custom w/added element UST
USA Tele Deluxe
Ibanex SRX-500
Vox AC-15

Korg Pitch Black (2x), Fishman Aura 16, BBE Sonic Stomp, LR Baggs PADI, Boss TU-2, Sansamp Tech21 Bass Driver, Boss GE-7 Bass EQ, MXR Micro Amp, Keely BD-2, Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Fulldrive 2 Mosfet, Boss DD-20, BBE supacharger

Up next: Empress EQ, Radial J48
Old 11-22-2007, 10:43 AM

The problem is that the two kinds of mics that go directly into the PC are somewhat limited in quality, and cannot be used with a conventional preamp if/when you begin the upgrade process. So your $100 investment will be wasted if you ever decide to upgrade.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-22-2007, 11:18 AM

This small, eighty dollar device, combining a preamp and A/D converter will convert any microphone you choose in to a USB mic:

http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...te/micMate.htm

For the recording of an acoustic guitar I'd recommend a small diaphragm condenser microphone. Smaller diaphragms produce a smoother, often flatter, frequency response and aiming the mic at the guitar is less critical.

Here is a source for good, inexpensive microphones. Several forum members own them and have posted favorable comments about them. See the FAQ page on whether to select a cardioid or omnidirectional mic.

http://www.naiant.com/studiostore/microphones.html
Old 11-22-2007, 11:43 AM
Guest 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran Guidry View Post
The problem is that the two kinds of mics that go directly into the PC are somewhat limited in quality, and cannot be used with a conventional preamp if/when you begin the upgrade process. So your $100 investment will be wasted if you ever decide to upgrade.
What type of setup might you suggest? I'm not limited to $100 total, that's just what I thought a good mic might cost. I can spend several hundred if I buy in pieces to build the whole package over a bit of time. All I want to accomplish is a recording that ends up in mp3 format on a pc or to burn to a cd, but, I want pretty good quality.

I'm open to other setup suggestions, just keep in mind that I am a novice at this, (45 yrs old, but only playing for 3 years) and maybe that's why I'm initially thinking mic to pc for simplicity. So, installing a pickup, etc and running through preamps, mixers, are all okay, just walk me through what I might need and why and what it will do for me, if you don't mind.

Thanks again!

John
Old 11-23-2007, 02:40 AM

I've posted some Naiant clips myself, now that you mention it, Herb.

http://www.fxguidry.com/pblog/index....y070405-124509

They do offer mics that are very impressive for the price, I think.

John, one way to get started would be a Behringer Eurorack mixer like this http://www.amazon.com/Behringer-UB80.../dp/B0002JF5CM with some adapter parts to connect the 1/4" output of the mixer to the 1/8" input of the Line In on your soundcard (assuming you're using a desktop PC).

There are many other options, but I only feel comfortable discussing equipment I've actually used, and I haven't tried any of the entry level audio interfaces or the many condenser mics out there.

I'm sure other folks will offer their suggestions shortly.

In my experience, as you try to improve your recordings you'll run into lots of problems besides gear choice. The noise in your recording space is often troublesome. The sound of the instrument in the room can also be a separate problem. Recording software, even free or low cost versions, offer lots of options for editing, altering, effecting your recordings but the learning curve can be frustrating. And good monitoring is important to tell if you're improving things or making them worse. But the sound characteristics of your room can make accurate monitoring nearly impossible!

In other words, trying to make better recordings can be a slippery slope with a big swamp at the bottom <grin>.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 11-23-2007, 07:16 AM

I love the AKG C1000S. For guitars.
Taylor "04" K22CE-L30 Koa/Koa
Taylor "06" 914CE fall limited Coco/Engel.
Baby Taylor
Collings "01" D3 EIR/Sitka
Martin "1939" 0-17 Mahog.
Ovation "86" Anniversary
Gibson R7 Goldtop
Carvin DC400
Carvin strat
Epiphone MIJ Fujigen Elite Les Paul

http://www.reverbnation.com:80/marcocatracchia
Old 11-23-2007, 10:24 AM
Guest 720

Thanks! The Behringer sounds like a good start. After, I can search for a decent mic and cable. Surely that alone would be better than what I've used in the past.
Old 11-26-2007, 05:51 PM

I use Rode NT-3 and Oktava MK012. Inexpensive and used should be within your range. Works great!
Check here for audio samples:
http://www.kinnairdguitars.com/audio.htm
'14 Collings SJ(Wenge/German)
Old 11-26-2007, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
This small, eighty dollar device, combining a preamp and A/D converter will convert any microphone you choose in to a USB mic:
http://www.mxlmics.com/condenser_mic...te/micMate.htm
Herb, Mic Mate sounds interesting. Does it work pretty well?
Thanks for sharing that with us!
Old 11-27-2007, 01:33 PM

The information in thread corresponds exactly to why I have logged in for the first time in over 2 years. Amazing I remembered the login and password.

Does anyone have experience with this type of microphone?

C01U - USB Studio Condenser Microphone
http://www.samsontech.com/products/p...fm?prodID=1810

For acoustic guitar recording, the Taylor clinicians have said that 2 mics are often used at the same time. So what about using 2 of these? And what recording software?
I would want to take the laptop and mic to a guitar lesson because don't have a decent small recorder.
Old 11-28-2007, 04:26 PM

Depends on your recording rig too... What's the 'weakest link' in your chain? A pricey mic may not be necessary, but you'll never regret spending a little more on a mic, one that you can keep when you upgrade your Guitars and recording software.

I had a Samson C03 that was a good mic... XLR instead of USB. But I would spend a little more and get a Sure or other nice condenser for $400.

Sure makes one called a KSM32 that's great, also the 27 for a little less. Buy them used on Ebay if you're experienced with that.

Of course, you can't beat an SM57 /8 or Beta 57 /8. The Betas are betta if you can find em. The conventional wisdom is that 57's are for acoustic instruments and 58's are for vocals, but I've seen each used for the other to great effect. You probably want to stick with 57's for drums and cabs, though. Good on a budget, and you will hang on to them.
Cube Street

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification