The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 11-23-2007, 12:25 PM

Default Best pickup for new acoustic...

I have this great offer on this acoustic Avalon A100... GORGEOUS! ... think im in love... i was thinking about getting an LR Baggs M1 Active, as i have heard is one of the best out there, and i have the Baggs Para DI too, and i love it, and i guess the combination of both is the best (M1 and PARA DI). Any recommendations? dont know much about pickups, is there anything i need to know?

Oh, hope this helps, i play fingerstyle and some soft strumming, worship acoustic... jeje... Thanks in advance.

1998 Taylor 810ce
2005 Taylor 214e
2006 Regal SG *beater*

My heart is steadfast, O God; I will sing and make music with all my soul, this is my glory. •Psalm 108.1•

http://laibi.org/
Old 11-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Charter Member

The M1/PADI combination works very well for me, for a similar playing style. As you've already got a PADI, a passive M1 would be fine, but the active version would also give you the option of playing without the PADI. I've found the passive M1 to have too low an output to be really practical without a preamp.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-23-2007, 06:20 PM

Location: 3 miles from the Rose Bowl, 3 miles from Dodger Stadium

Grey8.....I don't know the types of venues you might be performing at but as you're aware, there are a lot of pickup systems out there. You'll probably get a variety of recommendations from fellow AGF'ers and all copacetic at that. FWIW, I just had Hollywood luthier extraordinaire Dave Neely install the tried and true B-Band UST (undersaddle transducer) + A1 (endpin preamp and soundhole volume control) in both of my Martins. I've used this simple yet stunning system before to much satisfaction. Feedback is nonexistent and sonic/tonal/resonant qualities in the Martins are just transparent. I play through a Rivera Sedona all-tube acoustic amp with a separate electric channel. I haven't played guitars with LR Baggs units but I'm sure they do a commendable job, too. I did talk by phone with Dieter at K&K in Oregon a couple of months ago. He is quite knowledgeable and a gentleman. I was thinking about installing K&K Pure Western Minis in both guitars. Dieter did suggest I get the Pure XLR Preamp, which has a phase switch that among other things will reduce the potential for feedback. It's a solid system, too. In the end, I opted for simplicity and what worked well in the past. B-Band's active, piezo system is well worth a try or at least a test drive. Hmmm, now where does one go for such a test drive, eh? In fact, test drive as many different systems and configurations as possible. You already know this but I'll say it anyway. You will make the best decision based on your needs, cost, and most of all, YOUR auditory threshold. After all the specs are analyzed, it really does come down to how your guitar sounds to you amplified. You know your guitar best. Have fun on your journey of discovery. Best regards....Kabookie
Gibson Custom Shop Non-Reverse Firebird ~ Gretsch G6120 TM Chet Atkins + G6128 TSP Duo Jet ~ G&L ASAT Special Semi-Hollow ~ Yamaha SSC-500 ~ Rickenbacker 360/6 + 370/6 + 330/12 ~ Yamaha P-200 Digital Piano
-------------------
"Play on, pick often, & prosper."
Old 11-23-2007, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey8 View Post
I have this great offer on this acoustic Avalon A100... GORGEOUS! ... think im in love... i was thinking about getting an LR Baggs M1 Active, as i have heard is one of the best out there, and i have the Baggs Para DI too, and i love it, and i guess the combination of both is the best (M1 and PARA DI). Any recommendations? dont know much about pickups, is there anything i need to know?

Oh, hope this helps, i play fingerstyle and some soft strumming, worship acoustic... jeje... Thanks in advance.
The M-1 should work fine for that. If you agressivley strum or flatpick, I've heard that you can hit the M-1 with your pick and that makes a Not-so-nice sound. A lot of famous people are using the M-1. Oasis and Foo fighters to name a couple.

Takamine EAN15C w/ Palathetic pickup system and CT4B onboard preamp
Takamine GN93CE w/ TK-40 preamp
RainSong DR1000 w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Rainsong JM3000 12 string jumbo w/ Element Onboard pickup system
Yamaha FG345 w/ Fishman Matrix II

www.donohoeandgrimes.com
Old 11-24-2007, 12:01 PM

I have played and used several differant pick-up systems on differant guitars. Right now I am really into the versatility and simiplicity of D-tar's Wavelength pick-up. The headroom it has is unreal and it is a pretty hot PU. Although probably not the MOST natural sounding pick-up I have heard, it has good tone and puts most piezo PU's to shame. I NEVER have feedback issues, and it is a pretty much plug and play system. I like that it his hidden and does not distract from the appearance of the guitar. I have a M1(passive) in one of my daughters guitars we run through a LR Baggs Para DI. It sounds good, but like was already mentioned it picks up any bump or pick click. Some may consider that good and others not. However, I don't like that aspect of the pick-up. My daughter is also running a B-Band through one of her guitars and it is a good pick-up for a nice natural sound. I also had one in a guitar I have since sold. Both pick-ups I owned seemed to produce a little noise (hum) through amp or PA, but it was managable. The output from the B-Band is "okay" but sometimes I found it lacking and had to crank the volume on the amp which produced even more "hum." I also run a Fishman matrix in one axe, and it has been a pretty good pu, but sounds kinda thin to me compared to the Wavelength. I have also ran a LR Baggs iBeam that I have since removed. It was great for some applications, but it was terrible about the feedback in loud band type settings. The iBeam had a very "woody" sound to it if that is what you are into. Anyway, just my experiences. Good luck finding a PU that works for ya. Wonderful thing is there are TONS of choices out there.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification