The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-29-2024, 12:27 PM

Default New Ed Sheeran Loopers

Just saw an article about these. The multitrack one is expensive, but it looks like it could be great.

https://www.guitarworld.com/news/sheeran-loopers
Old 02-29-2024, 12:34 PM

The smaller one looks neat. I am not a big looper guy but would try them out. I like Ed Sheeran, but not sure I could go watch him play a stadium where he loops the entire set.
Old 02-29-2024, 01:26 PM
Charter Member

I do a bit of looping in my sets, so I am definitely interested in the smaller unit. I don't really need all the bells and whistles of the bigger (way more) expensive unit.

Martin 000-1
Rainsong CH-OM
Martin SC10e sapele

My Band's Spotify page https://open.spotify.com/artist/2KKD...SVeZXf046SaPoQ
Old 02-29-2024, 06:36 PM

This looks great! It appears to check a lot of boxes; I might ditch my Ditto x2 for it.
Old 02-29-2024, 10:52 PM

I've been using the Headrush Looperboard for the past two years for every gig. It has become central for what I do. I basically record hand percussion for the different sections of my songs (sometimes bass) ahead of time and trigger each section as needed in a song during the gig (I don't live loop). I also use the built-in vocal harmonizer. The preamps are great for passing my guitar and mic to my PA. Give a real pro-level sound. Anyway, great sound, great flexibility, etc.
But this is the next iteration of the Looperboard, made in close collaboration with Sheeran's looper tech and others in R&D and it looks like it was built for a die-hard live user. Oh wait it is! Sheeran uses it now supposedly for his live shows. The ergonomics compared to the Looperboard make it worth the upgrade alone.
I'm taking the plunge tomorrow!
Old 03-01-2024, 02:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty1818 View Post
The smaller one looks neat. I am not a big looper guy but would try them out. I like Ed Sheeran, but not sure I could go watch him play a stadium where he loops the entire set.
And that is a BIG Looper! LOL ..I know what wasn't your point. It is however the size of an entire pedalboard. This would be a great tool for someone who makes a show out of looping. Otherwise not practical for guys like me. I would love to try one but can't see it being practical for what I do.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com
Old 03-01-2024, 10:53 AM

It is huge! I thought my Rc-300 was big but this is bigger. I'll probably wait and see how well it performs and hopefully it'll come down in price a bit too.
Old 03-01-2024, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

I ordered the small one. It arrives tomorrow. Maybe I’ll go live and play Ed songs!
Old 03-01-2024, 01:48 PM
Charter Member

It appears to have a locking mechanism for the power adapter and I love it.

Old 03-01-2024, 02:43 PM

This caught my attention as well. I have tried to learn to use a looper but have a hard time remembering where I am in the on-off sequence. This looks like it has an intuitive layout. I look forward to reading about your experiences.
Taylor 110
Martin DX
Epiphone Texan 12 string
Sigma Mandolin
SCGC VJ
Alvarez Nashville tuning
https://soundcloud.com/gideon-besson...social_sharing
Old 03-02-2024, 08:45 AM

The Looper+ looks like it would be a good fit with how I use a looper, with minor exceptions I'll cover here.

What I like:
The concept of having two parts that can vary in length is attractive, particularly for doing verse / chorus looping where you might like the sections to be of different lengths.

The color LCD screen is nice, although I would have preferred it to be larger. I would have opted to have the two parts arranged top and bottom rather than the side by side design. It would have been better to visualize the loop progression with "stacked progress bars".

What I dislike:
The angle and height of the foot switches might be uncomfortable for some users. The need to angle your foot up is one thing I'm not crazy about when using Boss loopers. I think this is more of an issue with seated players, but that might not be a deal breaker for me.

I NEVER like doing the double tap thing for selecting any feature, and having to do that when the looper is in any mode other than mono would be a pain. They ought to include a two button aux. switch instead of the midi cable. I bet a whole lot of players would prefer the switch. I always use a two button aux switch with my looper, so this would be no exception.

I'm not sure about what's required to save a loop of how to select a different one. Anything that requires bending down to the floor is a huge disadvantage. One of the reasons why I settled on my EHX 1440 is that I can do most everything I want to do with the foot switches.

Overall it looks to be a solid unit at a good price point for the features it offers.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:46 PM

It looks like the loopers also have built in effects on both the mic and guitar. Has anyone had a chance to put it through its paces yet? Can you also get a nice guitar and vocal blend? Is it designed to be used with a second vocal mic just dedicated to looping, or will it tap in nicely to the main vocal mic?
Old 03-04-2024, 01:05 PM

Pm AeroUSA

Yamaha FGX-412 (1998)

Gibson Les Paul Standard 1958 Reissue (2013)
Fender Stratocaster American Vintage 1954 (2014)
http://acousticir.free.fr/
Old 03-04-2024, 01:59 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuki79 View Post
Pm AeroUSA

I thought it was fun but I would also consider the Boss RC-500 as it is more flexible.
Old 03-05-2024, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I thought it was fun but I would also consider the Boss RC-500 as it is more flexible.
Excellent and informative Aaron! Thanks

I have the RC500 and do some looping during my shows. But usually something simple just strumming chords.. Then Jam over the loop.

I really like the large buttons on the Sheeran!

But it looks very bulky and heavy.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification