The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-24-2024, 11:46 PM
Charter Member

I've owned a few Taylors, and demoed countless other Taylors. I have not been able to make peace with any of them. All have come and gone. They are bright and the mid scoop makes them lack punch. (for me)

I love and insist on a cutaway for what I do because I use that upper register real estate. I want to love a Taylor. They play great, feel good and many are very attractive. I agree the new 50th Anniversary Sinker Redwood looks nice. But I would hazard a guess it will have the signature 'lean' Taylor tone. Works for many so please know I mean no disrespect. It just doesn't work for me.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 01-25-2024 at 02:44 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:31 AM
Charter Member

Not a Taylor fan so not impressed with the 50th offering. I have owned one Taylor 314e. "Sold" it to my daughter-in-law for a dollar to give to my stepson who likes the Taylor sound.
Old 01-25-2024, 06:45 AM
Charter Member

I'm also with Bob on this one. And that's not hatin' on anybody. Its just the marketing departments seem to have taken over the corner office from the luthiers, in an effort to please every picker on the green earth.

Same goes for Breedlove. I think both their USA and import models are outstanding in materiel, workmanship, finish, and playability. Can I say anything better? But, I have a very early basic model from their first Oregon garage, signed by Kim, and that's all the Breedlove I will ever need. I think. Cant keep up with the series, models, etc.... Even with its cantilevered, Rube Goldberg contraption under the bridge, it is still the best feeling, best playing and best sounding Breedlove I've ever held in my lap. Same for Taylors. Great guitars, but can't keep 'em straight.
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-25-2024, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by llew View Post
I just learned the Martin nomenclature...I'm not gonna dissect the Taylor models? But the offerings from both builders recently has left me uninterested.
I'm kind of the other way around. I've just now become comfortable with all the "Grand..." models (Grand Concert, Grand Auditorium, Grand Orchestra, Grand Grand, etc.) and have never wrapped my mind around Martin's "O" (for Obfuscation?) lines.

I do tend to agree with the merry-go-round of Taylor models and woods. I bought one of the last Tasmanian Blackwood 322ce's and I love that guitar, but because of this, I don't believe I can rely on the consistency of sound, even with the same model.

Now that I own four Taylors, three of which I value very highly (the exception is the Big Baby Taylor-e, which doesn't float my boat), I find my interest in adding another one to my herd has waned significantly
Old 01-25-2024, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ribsareyummy View Post
I'm somewhat shocked there's an AD and 314 in the mix, I figured they'd all be in the (for me) unattainable 800/900 range. I have heard from a dealer that there will be more 50th anniversary models coming throughout the year, small batches every couple of months. Guess we'll see if that's true. I also heard here's some changes coming to 200-series, not sure if that means a Tecate 50th anniversary model.

I do like the little headstock swoosh in the 5 on the sticker!
It's good they're including other stuff besides 800/900/PS guitars.. they look awesome but I think for lots of us we are in no way guaranteed to like them more than less expensive Taylors. I think the 800/900 are too refined in tone for my taste. I greatly prefered the 5xx guitars when I recently bought mine and played 5xx/8xx/9xx back to back to back. I actually think this is really a Taylor thing, not anything to do with Rosewood. I don't like Rosewood Taylors, but if I try a Rosewood B/S guitar from other manufacturers I don't have the same reaction. (Maybe this is a V-class + Rosewood thing to me too)

The PS14ce LTD with the Ironbark B/S is very very interesting in that they are elevating the Ironbark all the way to that level. I absolutely love the way my 514ce w/Ironbark sounds but I feel like the Ironbark was already controversial enough on a 5xx guitar to traditionalists, putting it higher up the line is sure to bother some people. But I guess PS guitars are probably low production to the point it doesn't matter. There's a few of them, and they will go to people who like them.
Old 01-25-2024, 09:59 AM

Boy, if I could get an X-braced 810e with mahogany back/sides and a red spruce top with CV bracing with the relief rout, I'd buy one in a HEARTBEAT!! Oh wait, those were back when Taylor made guitars that I liked! Maybe a throwback model for us X-bracing, dreadnaught body shape fans!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-25-2024, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
Boy, if I could get an X-braced 810e with mahogany back/sides and a red spruce top with CV bracing with the relief rout, I'd buy one in a HEARTBEAT!! Oh wait, those were back when Taylor made guitars that I liked! Maybe a throwback model for us X-bracing, dreadnaught body shape fans!!
Yeah...those were a Taylor I could go for.

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-25-2024, 12:37 PM

I've never jived with Sapele. But cool looking axes for sure.
Old 01-25-2024, 12:59 PM

I like Taylor's I really do, but there's a whole lotta "NOPE" on that web site.

craziness.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

Last edited by rmp; 01-25-2024 at 01:08 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 01:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmp View Post
There's a whole lotta "NOPE" on that web site.
Yep...I'm stealing that one!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 01-25-2024, 01:45 PM
Charter Member

It seems many companies including Taylor and Martin are treating their guitar lineups like fashion/apparel. Each year, a new trend, a new color, what's in, what's out, etc. All for the customer/player, right?
Old 01-25-2024, 02:39 PM
Charter Member

Humm given these are the Anniversary line with some limited editions ( And not the regular line) Honestly neither the price for the limited's or the glitz really surprises me
Not really what I personally would buy .
But hey in all fairness and for perspective ,,no more spendy than a number of Limited Martins and frankly not as garish on the glitz and glitter as some of those Martins either --juss sayin'

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 01-25-2024, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tnfiddler View Post
I like your pipe dream for a Mahogany X Braced 810e. Add a cutaway for me and I'd try it.
Collings D1 Traditional
Emerald X20
Fender CS '63 Telecaster Custom
Collings I-35LCV
Collings I-30LC
Collings 290
www.heartsoulaz.com

Last edited by Groberts; 01-25-2024 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-25-2024, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groberts View Post
I like your pipe dream od th Mahogany X Braced 810e. Add a cutaway for me and I'd try it.

I guess I’ll call Andy and tell him that we want a couple and for him to get on it!!

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 01-25-2024, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
I feel like their visual aesthetic has dramatically moved away from me, to where I rarely see one of their guitars that I find appealing.
Likewise. It's wildly subjective of course, but I've come to outright dislike the shape of the Taylor bridge, cutaway, and pickguard.

Nice sunbursts, though.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion