The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-17-2024, 11:55 AM

Default Tonewood Reserves from Recording King

I pretty much believe you're going to play what you can afford. The more you can afford the more you're going to want to play! : ) I have three RK's so far. My first was a RD-328, the matching Mahogany RD-318 and just a few days ago I received a RO-318 (also Mahogany) after hearing the 318. I put either K & K or Journey Passive pick ups in them and upgraded the pick guards. I run 13 Retro or Phosphor Bronze, so I had to check the neck. But took very little if any adjustment, coming off of 12's. All three are working guitars and not collector pieces. They carry my voice just fine. I've had a D-35, a Taylor 710e Koa and some older Guilds. They are all fine and made the cut as working guitars. I'm not much on RK's lower lines although I have bought some for new guitar players at church, they have a place. The Tonewood elite Series are definitely well worth a look. I think I see a RP-342 (Single 0) in my future. I need more guitar hangers.
Old 02-17-2024, 01:50 PM

Not to nitpick, but isn't the only model(s) in the 'elite' series the ones that end in 42? The 318 and 328 are 'reserve' correct?

I got to play one at a show (318) and it was nice but it felt a little overbuilt or over clear coated? It was the only demo for the show... I LOVED that neck.

It would be nice to be able to play a different one but we don't have any RK dealers here in Nashville. Or none that keep the 328 and 318 in stock.

I love RK and Blueridge and lots of other non-martin brands even though I am a Martin guy.

When I win the lottery tonight, I will buy a Blueridge BR-263, an RK 328 and a Gibson American Eagle to keep the Furch OOM company.

..and I will love them all without prejudice!

Last edited by baseball; 02-17-2024 at 01:51 PM. Reason: changed spelling
Old 02-17-2024, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseball View Post
The 318 and 328 are 'reserve' correct?
Yes, and there's a $300 jump from the 318/28 series to the Elite series.
Old 02-17-2024, 05:08 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67goat View Post
Yes, and there's a $300 jump from the 318/28 series to the Elite series.

You’re paying for bling and a 1 3/4” nut, basically. A selling point when the 318/328 first came out was the “30 year aged top”. I believe I read somewhere that they are all out of that stock and now are just using “normal” Adirondack. Can anyone confirm?
Old 02-17-2024, 05:27 PM
Charter Member

You’re just paying for the bling in the 000. If you want thr 12 fret parlor, thr blinged our version is your only option. They are incredibly nice for the money, all of them.
Old 02-17-2024, 07:05 PM
Charter Member

RK is getting closer to what I like all the time! If the KOA 00 Cutaway and Road King Pro could have a baby, I'd be very interested in fostering that particular love child.

I dig the looks/features of the KOA 00 Cutaway with that 1.75" nut. It's a handsome guitar (on paper/online anyway). But as a frequent denizen of various open mics, I'd like to see it with the Road King's electronics (or most any decent brand for that matter). I'd want to plug it in.

Anyone know what the fretboard radius is? I researched that online and didn't find it.

KOA 00 Cutaway https://www.recordingking.com/rp2729c

Road King https://www.recordingking.com/rga16rcfe5tbr

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-18-2024 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-18-2024, 12:45 AM

Default Recording King "Tonewood Reserve Elite" guitars

They look really excellent I’d be interested to try this model for sure, also perhaps consider the Sigma S000r-42? It also has Adi/Indian rosewood but in a standard scale length. Ignore the list price you would able to get it a lot cheaper.

There are not many brands outside of these two that are producing guitars like this (Martin aesthetics and similar tonal profile) for these sort of prices. Eastman have a very different tone (more responsive and more modern) in my opinion.

https://www.sigma-guitars.com/acoust...0-45/s000r-42/
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06
Old 02-18-2024, 10:21 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony'sBaitShop View Post
I need more guitar hangers.
+1.................
Old 02-18-2024, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinnitus View Post
RK is getting closer to what I like all the time! If the KOA 00 Cutaway and Road King Pro could have a baby, I'd be very interested in fostering that particular love child.

I dig the looks/features of the KOA 00 Cutaway with that 1.75" nut. It's a handsome guitar (on paper/online anyway). But as a frequent denizen of various open mics, I'd like to see it with the Road King's electronics (or most any decent brand for that matter). I'd want to plug it in.

Anyone know what the fretboard radius is? I researched that online and didn't find it.

KOA 00 Cutaway https://www.recordingking.com/rp2729c

Road King https://www.recordingking.com/rga16rcfe5tbr
I own a koa 00, it’s a 16” fretboard radius.
Old 02-18-2024, 11:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewski View Post
I own a koa 00, it’s a 16” fretboard radius.
Thanks Drew!
Old 03-23-2024, 10:36 AM

Default Recording King "Tonewood Reserve Elite" guitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerstyle_me View Post
What do you think about those guitars ? especially the RO-342 (000 format).
What about the tone, playability ?

Did you compare against Eastman guitars ? I currently have Eastman E20D-TC, a wonderful guitar.

999 EUR seems a very good price, they are beautiful guitars and I'm really tempted to make the jump.
I'm a huge fan of good sounding Martin's, but, I've found that "good sounding" is not an accurate description for all Martin's and is not limited to Martin's or to price. I've gone through a lot of guitars to find my preferred guitar tone. I now have 2 custom shop Martin's, a custom Gallagher (with another on the way), a Recording King Tonewood Reserve Koa ROS-729 (all solid Koa 000-12 fret) and I got a RK RP-342 last week. It's difficult to compare the single 0 RP-342 to my other guitars, due to its physical size, but it's really impressive. I'm amazed by its volume and low end, but the ROS-729 is nothing short of fantastic! I bought the 729 as a travel guitar, thinking it might be fun and would be a good guitar to risk damage bouncing around in the car. Much to my surprise, this 729 has every bit the quality tone as my other much more expensive guitars. I've had other surprising Recording King's, but nothing on the level of the ROS-729. Everything I've referred to, so far, has to do with tone, but I also had the 729 Plecked, which put its playability on the same level as my Plecked Martin's and the Gallagher. I highly recommend you have your RK's Plecked, if you can.
Old 03-23-2024, 06:05 PM

I’ve had a RD 328 over a year now. All I know it sounds a lot better than the Larrivee D44r Legacy I bought 4 months ago and cost 3 1/2 times more than the RK. I bought mine from Ben(banjo Ben)Clark they do free setups and setup mine perfectly. No adjustments have been made since I got it.
Old 03-24-2024, 07:57 AM

Default RO 342

I just purchased a RO 342 and am extremely satisfied with my purchase. It does not have any issues straight out of the box. It plays and looks amazing. If anyone needs any questions answered I will try my best to help.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion