The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 03-23-2024, 09:59 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default Cedar and spruce comparison

Not sure if this was posted in the past. An interesting video.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 03-23-2024, 10:46 AM
Charter Member

That's a great video, Barry! He is a very accomplished player!

I bought my Cervantes Crossover 1 classical with a spruce top, but I have sometimes wished I had bought one with a cedar top. Then I listen to a really good comparison like this one and realize -- Wow! They both sound excellent! It's seems impossible for me to decide which I like better.

Thanks for this, Barry!

- Glenn
Old 03-23-2024, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

Great comparison. To me, the cedar-topped guitar sounds more like what I expect a classical guitar to sound like—a fuller, mellower tone. Not that the spruce-topped guitar sounds bad—on the contrary, it sounds great—but it seems more “modern” for a classical guitar
Old 03-23-2024, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

The bigger difference in sound in my opinion is on steel string guitars. Although it exists of course on the nylon strings of a classical, just to a lesser degree.
Cedar has a more mellow tone (a shift to a lower frequency note response).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-23-2024, 12:54 PM

I agree with the prior post that this would be more informative for players here if it were done on a steel string acoustic.

It's strange that he gives the type of rosewood for each guitar, but not the type of spruce used. I can't imagine that it's red spruce – or even sitka. It's probably engelmann or some type of euro spruce.

Personally, I was surprised that the clarity of the cedar. The spruce was, of course, at least is clear and also brighter, but I did like the mellow sound of the cedar since it was not muddy at all.
Old 03-23-2024, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps346 View Post
I agree with the prior post that this would be more informative for players here if it were done on a steel string acoustic.

It's strange that he gives the type of rosewood for each guitar, but not the type of spruce used. I can't imagine that it's red spruce – or even sitka. It's probably engelmann or some type of euro spruce.

Personally, I was surprised that the clarity of the cedar. The spruce was, of course, at least is clear and also brighter, but I did like the mellow sound of the cedar since it was not muddy at all.
I have a steel string flattop with a double top (cedar over spruce). It puts out mostly the cedar mellow sound but with more power and uniformity treble to bass.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 03-23-2024, 01:44 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
The bigger difference in sound in my opinion is on steel string guitars. Although it exists of course on the nylon strings of a classical, just to a lesser degree.
Cedar has a more mellow tone (a shift to a lower frequency note response).
Personally, it is just as big a difference in classical, but it gets negated to a degree because classical players have more control over the tone of the instrument due to the use of fingers and the nature of the strings themselves. When I pick up a cedar classical I'm naturally going to pick it a little differently than a spruce. Even if I don't realize I'm doing it. I do the same thing with my acoustics (spruce, koa, Redwood) but the strings don't convey nuance in right hand technique quite as much as classical strings.
Old 03-23-2024, 03:06 PM

Oska Burman, who posts in the Custom section from time to time recorded a video of two guitars he built where they only difference between the two was cedar vs spruce. The purpose was to compare the sound of the two, while trying to keep all other factors totally equal.

His post should be found at: https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...5&postcount=18
Old 03-24-2024, 02:52 PM
AGF Sponsor

Excellent comparison and playing, nicely done video!

I don't know if this is helpful, but I compared two otherwise identical Ken Franklin steel string guitars a couple of years ago in the following video. Both guitars were built at the same time, with Indian rosewood back/sides. One has a cedar top, the other an Adirondack spruce top.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion