The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 02-23-2024, 09:04 PM
Charter Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by meb View Post
great comment Medford G. You have either:
- graduated to a level where you don't have to haul gear yourself
-are Young and strong
-are just really strong

any of the above, I am envious. :-)

But most likely, just being facetious, which is even better...but missed the
smiley faces. :-)

See, I cannot even figure out how to do a smiley face in a post.....
Using just the two (or one) K12 and afew stands won't break anyone's back. Especially if you use a kart like I do. But if you have a full band show ( drums and bass) you'll want the subs (which the QSC ones are on wheels)
Old 02-23-2024, 10:11 PM

My band uses Bose S1 Pro speakers for small shows and QSC 12" powered speakers for larger shows.
The 12's are heavier but not that bad.
Old 02-24-2024, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adambomb View Post
Yea I was looking at those. So far they do seem like the best deal for the money. Budget is no more than $1500.
At this budget, I'd opt for Yamaha DXR12s used. I've gigged the DXRs (in 10, 12, and 15) for many years are these are solid performers, clear and never fatiguing when loouud, and rock-reliable. Side note: if you're thinking you "may" go for a sub in the future, do yourself a favor and get the DXR10s instead as they are considerably lighter than the 12 and give up precious little to the 12s.

Second choice would be QSC CP12 new. I own/gig the CP8 and it's a fabulous speaker for the dough.

Edward
Old 02-26-2024, 02:31 PM

Well I rolled the dice on a pair of EV ZLX12’s. Now I just need to see about upgrading my mixer. I have a cheap Behringer 802 and not sure how it’s going to sound but I might try it first before I order. I’ll be plugging in 2 vocals, 2 guitars and possibly keys just for acoustic gigs, and possibly 6 inputs needed for cover band gigs. Was thinking of the Heath & Allen ZEDi10FX.
Old 02-26-2024, 03:29 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Well I rolled the dice on a pair of EV ZLX12’s. Now I just need to see about upgrading my mixer. I have a cheap Behringer 802 and not sure how it’s going to sound but I might try it first before I order. I’ll be plugging in 2 vocals, 2 guitars and possibly keys just for acoustic gigs, and possibly 6 inputs needed for cover band gigs. Was thinking of the Heath & Allen ZEDi10FX.
I use the A&H ZED10FX and we love it. Excellent strip EQ
Old 02-26-2024, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medford Guitar View Post
I use the A&H ZED10FX and we love it. Excellent strip EQ
Seconding this; a true Swiss army knife of a board. The semi-parametric mids on the mic/line channels are incredibly useful and the preamps are fantastic. It also has a recessed switch to pad the output down to mic level--useful for submixing or doing videos with through your phone.
Old 02-27-2024, 04:48 AM

Don't overlook RCF speakers along with the usual suspects. I prefer wood cabinets over plastic, but hey, that's just me.
Old 02-27-2024, 06:15 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie Bernstein View Post
JBL, Electro Voice, Bose, and Yamaha all make great-sounding last-a-lifetime speakers.

I use a single powered JBL ten-inch speaker, their EON 710. Haven't had to crank it up very high. It packs plenty of volume for my purposes, and there's plenty of bottom for acoustic guitar and vocals. A pair would easily command a large club.

It has more features than I'll ever use. You might like that. And EONs come with bigger speakers, too, of course, if you need them, say, for big outdoor stages.
I've been using JBL EON 710s for indoor and outdoor gigs for the past couple of years. Very happy with the sound and volume.
Old 03-11-2024, 10:49 AM

Quote:
How do you like them? I hope you love em!
Old 03-11-2024, 11:40 AM
Charter Member

My question is. Do you want good grammar? Or good taste?

When shopping for my first set of powered PA speakers. I tried all the top sellers.

FYI, I've never been influenced by the "Bes Selling" anything. Best selling means most affordable, in most cases.

Told salesman I was in the market, and wanted to hear some speakers. He proceeded to hook his cellphone into a mixer. What are you doing, I asked?

Told him, I could care less what an MP3 sounds like. He said, what do you suggest?

Told him, I'm a live stage player. I went into the acoustic room, picked out a Gibson J45 with electronics. Said plug me in.

I played everything in the room. Played for about 3 hours. One thing I found really quick was. I did NOT want a plastic cabinet. They all had the same sound to me. And not very pleasing.

Also, playing an acoustic electric in such a small space at fairly high levels. As you might guess, produced a fair amount of feedback.

Then they switched to the wooden boxed JBL's . WOW Speaker was sitting right in front of me.

Feedback was nil. Sound quality was superb. Price justified itself, right away.

I'm more concerned about my sound, than what might be the best seller.

My first gig with them, A full Band gig. Everyone was amazed at how good they sounded.

That was about 15 years ago. Have bought only 15" JBL speakers ever since.

A little pricey, but well worth it if you can afford them.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification