The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-17-2016, 01:21 PM

Default Zoom A3 + passive K&K mini pure + Baggs Lyric

Hi there,
I'm thinking in getting the Zoom A3 for my nylon string eqquiped with a passive K&K pure mini pickup and a Baggs Lyric Classical mic. I wonder if this is a feasible combination.

Specifically, my question is whether the A3's pickup input can handle both passive/active devices. Similarly, if the mic input can receive the active signal coming from the Lyric, or only passive signals (that is, a condenser mic directly fed to the mic input).

The A3 manual says that the unit has a built-in preamp, but does not specify if that is for the pickup, mic or both inputs. Ideally, each input should have a dedicated preamp in order to preserve the frequency content of each signal (otherwise the active signal would obliterate the passive one), but it could well be that the unit has a single preamp for the mixed signal.

Answers will be highly appreciated.
Old 10-17-2016, 01:57 PM

You could solder the K&K to the ring terminal of the Lyric.

It would run through the Lyric preamp and come out as a low impedence signal as well.

Just use a stereo cable.
Old 10-17-2016, 02:13 PM

The Lyric signal is carried through the tip-sleeve of the TRS output jack (active), while the K&K passive pickup is carried through the ring-sleeve (passive). Then I split the signals via a Y cable.

My question was rather if the ZOOM A3 can handle the passive K&K signal into the pickupt input (without a previous preamp stage), and an active signal in the mic input (as coming out of the Lyric).
Old 10-17-2016, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugo Elizalde View Post
The Lyric signal is carried through the tip-sleeve of the TRS output jack (active), while the K&K passive pickup is carried through the ring-sleeve (passive). Then I split the signals via a Y cable.

My question was rather if the ZOOM A3 can handle the passive K&K signal into the pickupt input (without a previous preamp stage), and an active signal in the mic input (as coming out of the Lyric).
I don't have a combo pickup setup but I have used an A3 with a Lyric and a K&K in different guitars. Worked fine for me. The A3 is pretty well configured for this with separate level controls on the mic and pickup inputs.

Have you used an A3? It's a bit of a quirky device that does a nice job sonically but can be a hair-pulling experience on the user interface side of things.

Fran
The Homebrewed Music Blog
Old 10-17-2016, 05:28 PM

The stated input impedance of both of the A3's inputs is 1Mohm, so you should be able to go either way. By that I mean that you could take the Lyric to either the pickup input or the mic input, and do the same with the Pure Mini.

In any event, I run my Lyric into the pickup input because it requires a lot of EQ help. I run the guitar's other pickup thru a Fishman Platinum preamp before going to the mic input's compound jack. That's because that particular passive pickup (PUTW I/O UST) requires more than the mic input's 1Mohm input impedance for best results. The Platinum also gives me some EQ control of the I/O UST signal.

Input impedance won't be a problem with the Mini Pure, as a 1Mohm input impedance is ideal for it. On the downside, you'll have no way to individually EQ the Pure Mini signal if you route it around the EQ EFX which the Lyric signal will be routed through. You could use two EQ EFX, routing the Mini Pure through the second EFX and routing the Lyric through both EFX (or visa versa, depending on which pickup needs the most EQ help). You have your choice of a six band graphic EQ and a two band parametric EQ. You can use any combination of the two in series (ie. graphic + graphic, parametric + parametric, graphic + parametric or parametric + graphic).

I should mention that the A3 also has a basic three band manual EQ which can be used for "quick & dirty" at-the-gig adjustments of the blended signal.

Oops. To answer your basic question, either of the A3's inputs will handle an active signal. Either input should also handle the Pure Mini well, in theory (going by the stated input impedances). I haven't tried it, however.

Also - note that the A3 can reverse the phase of the mic channel signal, if that's needed for a better blend.

And Fran is right to point out that the A3 has a steep learning curve. The upside is that's its quite a useful device for its price.

Last edited by guitaniac; 10-17-2016 at 05:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2016, 09:12 PM

Thanks a lot guys, that was really helpful. I think I'll give it a go to the A3.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
baggs lyric classical, k&k pure mini, zoom a3