The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-16-2016, 11:35 AM

Default Best pickup combo for aggressive flatpicking

I am versed in the pickups out there but am wondering if anyone on the forum has a suggestion for a PU that handles aggressive flatpicking, somewhat like Tommy Emmanuel does at times. I use a sharp attack on the strings for some of my songs and like the notes to be clear and heard. I know that eq, string choice and flat pick choice are also key but I have a guitar without any PU right now and am wondering what others may suggest. Thanks in advance.
Alvarez
Fender Strat '69
Gibson 1942 Banner LG-2 Vintage Sunburst
Gibson SJ-200
Taylor Myrtlewood 12 string
Emerald X20
Godin Montreal w/piezo
Old 10-16-2016, 11:50 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I am versed in the pickups out there but am wondering if anyone on the forum has a suggestion for a PU that handles aggressive flatpicking, somewhat like Tommy Emmanuel does at times. I use a sharp attack on the strings for some of my songs and like the notes to be clear and heard. I know that eq, string choice and flat pick choice are also key but I have a guitar without any PU right now and am wondering what others may suggest. Thanks in advance.
Trance Audio Amulet M Dual Mono Acoustic Guitar Pickup System. Trance systems are what Neil Young, Jackson Browne and Paul Simon use. Michael Hedges also used them before he passed. The Trance preamp is a low-distortion/high-headroom preamp so it works well with flat-picking/strumming.

http://www.tranceaudio.com/amuletm.html

Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 10-16-2016, 12:15 PM

Another strong endorsement here for the Trance.
Gibson J-50 (K&K Pure Mini)
Martin D-35 (Trance Audio M)
Gibson J-35 Vintage (Trance Audio M)
Martin 1937 D-28 Authentic "Aged"
Old 10-16-2016, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotroad View Post
I do aggressive strumming and I have definitely struggled with achieving a good tone. I purchased the Amulet M this summer but have not installed it yet. I did try it once though and it seemed to handle aggressive strumming quite well. It seems to also have a bit more clarity than most SBT's so it could be the answer.

I have also tried the spectrum/Fishman set up and it was quite good but maybe a tad thin sounding. I like a big fat tone for strumming, which is hard to get. The Lr Baggs Lyric probably had the best plugged in tone for strumming that I have heard but it lacked bottom end. I tried the Anthem but it really didn't help much.

Honestly, the best tone I have heard for aggressive strumming has come from the Maton/Takamine pickups. I know that doesn't help though.
Old 10-16-2016, 04:25 PM
Charter Member

I'll add another positive vote for the Trance. I've tried many different pickups and preamps. I've only been using it for a couple of months but the Trance in my Collings D1 is my favorite for strumming with a flatpick so far.

Matt
Old 10-16-2016, 04:57 PM
Charter Member

A magnetic pickup will not have the quack potential of USTs and, to a lesser extent, SBTs.
Old 10-16-2016, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdelsolray View Post
A magnetic pickup will not have the quack potential of USTs and, to a lesser extent, SBTs.
That's a good suggestion. I have often thought about trying a magnetic + SBT set up. I think the magnetic would give a nice cutting tone, with enhanced bass and a clean headroom sound for aggressive strumming where as the SBT would add some natural attack + warmth.
Old 10-16-2016, 07:57 PM

I use the hand made Dazzo. Pound as hard as you want, no distortion or quackiness. It's the same concept as the Trance but cheaper. Check it out.

Check out the thread down the page a bit called "What Pickup Do I Need".
Oregon Duck Fan
Guitars by: Collings, Bourgeois, Taylor
Pickups by: Dazzo
Preamps by: Sunnaudio
Amps by: Bose (S1)
Grateful
Old 10-17-2016, 06:35 AM

Very happy with my B-Band.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification