The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-17-2016, 08:25 PM

Default First Amplifier for Yamaha LS6 ARE (Without Pre Amp)

Hi To all I would like to buy an Amplifier for Yamaha LS6 Are.

I just will play them at home, and I a very beginner.

I know the Yamaha LS6 ARE doesn't have preamplification inside so I would like to ask to have I to buy an external preamp + amplifier or I could find everything I need in one product (Amplifier with pre amplifications?)

I hope you could understand what I mean.

Thank you.
Old 01-17-2016, 09:52 PM

What's your budget? That would make giving suggestions much easier!
Old 01-18-2016, 02:55 AM

I was thinking around 200€ for amplifier and around 150€ for a preamp ( Zoom A3 for example?).

But is it possible to find with 350-400€ an amplifier with a preamp insid and some effect like a Zoom A3?

And another question, I need to buy a preamp for have a good sound?? If I would buy just an amplifier what will happen?? I mean my guitar has just passive pick-up so could I connect it with an amplifier without preamp?

What is the best choice?

Last edited by Arroww; 01-18-2016 at 03:59 AM.
Old 01-18-2016, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroww View Post
I was thinking around 200€ for amplifier and around 150€ for a preamp ( Zoom A3 for example?).

But is it possible to find with 350-400€ an amplifier with a preamp insid and some effect like a Zoom A3?

And another question, I need to buy a preamp for have a good sound?? If I would buy just an amplifier what will happen?? I mean my guitar has just passive pick-up so could I connect it with an amplifier without preamp?

What is the best choice?
Amplifiers of the kind you mean have preamps in them. You should be able to plug into most combo amps designed for acoustic instruments without any problem. Whether or not it will sound best that way is another matter, and that depends on the design of the amp, the EQ controls it has, and the effects it offers if you want to use effects.

There are, on the other hand, many preamp/DI units out there that offer things that many combo amps don't have or don't have as much of. These are mostly designed for interacting directly with a PA system, but can be useful for players who use only a combo amp or who use a combo amp on stage as a monitor. They can change or enhance tone, offer you effects or effects loops, acoustic modeling, much more complex EQ, a tuner, feedback control, etc. You won't know if you need any of that until you've tried your guitar just plugged into an amp on its own.

In your case, you should try that first, and then you should think about the features you're likely to actually use. If you're playing at home with an amp for the pleasure of exploring what an amplified sound can offer you as beginning player, look for a small amp with some of the effects you are likely to want to use. Something like a Fishman Loudbox Mini offers good sound at moderate volumes, good basic reverb and chorus effects, basic EQ and an extra channel for a vocal mic or a jamming partner. You should be able to plug your guitar directly into it and sound good (assuming you like the basic sound of your pickup system). If you want more control over the tone and/or you want to explore more effects, you could explore the various preamp/DI/multi-effects units out there.

Louis
Old 01-18-2016, 10:08 AM

If your ARE is equipped with the Yamaha "Zero Impact" UST (which I assume does), it is a great sounding passive pickup going direct. I played the LS16M for about an hour one afternoon and thought the amplified sound was pretty good.

While a preamp is not necessary, they do enhance the sound of electronics in most cases. I bought a Fishman Platinum Stage to have a way to have some EQ prior to connecting to a PA. I bought it for tone shaping one of my guitar's system that had zero EQ but tested on another guitar with a Fishman Classic IV just to see what it could do.

The Fishman Classic IV is an active system powered via 9V battery and has onboard EQ. I ran the EQ on the Classic IV flat and tweaked the EQ on the Platinum Stage instead. The results were so impressive- it sounds like a whole different guitar! And all that without having a processed sound.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you are going to ever play live solo, or with others especially, most guitars will come alive by having the much needed headroom that a quality pre/DI. I highly recommend them without reservation. Again, they are not necessary for a passive pickup with no on board preamp, but they can make for some nice sounding systems- even through a practice amp at home (in which case the observations that I'm disclosing here were made).

Last edited by steelvibe; 01-18-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:19 PM

Since your budget is in Euros, it would help to know what Country you live in. If you live in the United Kingdom, for example, here are some available choices:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acoustic-...40801835page-1
Old 01-18-2016, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lschwart View Post
Amplifiers of the kind you mean have preamps in them. You should be able to plug into most combo amps designed for acoustic instruments without any problem. Whether or not it will sound best that way is another matter, and that depends on the design of the amp, the EQ controls it has, and the effects it offers if you want to use effects.

There are, on the other hand, many preamp/DI units out there that offer things that many combo amps don't have or don't have as much of. These are mostly designed for interacting directly with a PA system, but can be useful for players who use only a combo amp or who use a combo amp on stage as a monitor. They can change or enhance tone, offer you effects or effects loops, acoustic modeling, much more complex EQ, a tuner, feedback control, etc. You won't know if you need any of that until you've tried your guitar just plugged into an amp on its own.

In your case, you should try that first, and then you should think about the features you're likely to actually use. If you're playing at home with an amp for the pleasure of exploring what an amplified sound can offer you as beginning player, look for a small amp with some of the effects you are likely to want to use. Something like a Fishman Loudbox Mini offers good sound at moderate volumes, good basic reverb and chorus effects, basic EQ and an extra channel for a vocal mic or a jamming partner. You should be able to plug your guitar directly into it and sound good (assuming you like the basic sound of your pickup system). If you want more control over the tone and/or you want to explore more effects, you could explore the various preamp/DI/multi-effects units out there.

Louis
Thank you, unfortunately I don't know how to evaluate the amps features (neither that one in a Pre Amp). So I could not evaluate EQ or Effects into an amplifier. Is there somewhere an article explains the single features?

Anyway I looked for that amp you suggested to me, and it costs around 400€ in Italy, it means that if the sound will not satisfy me and I will need a preamp I will have spent all my budget for the Amplifier. Then, the Fishamn has 60W I read somewhere for to play at home better not go more than 30w (in the article the person suggests to buy maximum 20 watts really). Is this true?

Anyway just because I don't know anything about EQ and Effects I cannto neither imagin what I will get with the only Fishman.

So, considering that I would like to try the effects too, is it better to look for an amp cheaper and less powered than Fishman and combine it with a Preamp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
If your ARE is equipped with the Yamaha "Zero Impact" UST (which I assume does), it is a great sounding passive pickup going direct. I played the LS16M for about an hour one afternoon and thought the amplified sound was pretty good.

While a preamp is not necessary, they do enhance the sound of electronics in most cases. I bought a Fishman Platinum Stage to have a way to have some EQ prior to connecting to a PA. I bought it for tone shaping one of my guitar's system that had zero EQ but tested on another guitar with a Fishman Classic IV just to see what it could do.

The Fishman Classic IV is an active system powered via 9V battery and has onboard EQ. I ran the EQ on the Classic IV flat and tweaked the EQ on the Platinum Stage instead. The results were so impressive- it sounds like a whole different guitar! And all that without having a processed sound.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you are going to ever play live solo, or with others especially, most guitars will come alive by having the much needed headroom that a quality pre/DI. I highly recommend them without reservation. Again, they are not necessary for a passive pickup with no on board preamp, but they can make for some nice sounding systems- even through a practice amp at home (in which case the observations that I'm disclosing here were made).
Sorry I have a very little english so I didn't understand all your thought , you are suggesting to me to buy a preamp or you are saying that with the Yamaha Pickup I don't need a Preamp because the guitar sound will satisfy me also just connecting it directly to an Amp? Sorry again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricdoug View Post
Since your budget is in Euros, it would help to know what Country you live in. If you live in the United Kingdom, for example, here are some available choices:

http://www.andertons.co.uk/acoustic-...40801835page-1
No I don't live in UK I am Italian and I live here in Italy

Thank you to everyone.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Thank you, unfortunately I don't know how to evaluate the amps features (neither that one in a Pre Amp). So I could not evaluate EQ or Effects into an amplifier. Is there somewhere an article explains the single features?

Anyway I looked for that amp you suggested to me, and it costs around 400€ in Italy, it means that if the sound will not satisfy me and I will need a preamp I will have spent all my budget for the Amplifier. Then, the Fishamn has 60W I read somewhere for to play at home better not go more than 30w (in the article the person suggests to buy maximum 20 watts really). Is this true?

Anyway just because I don't know anything about EQ and Effects I cannto neither imagin what I will get with the only Fishman.

So, considering that I would like to try the effects too, is it better to look for an amp cheaper and less powered than Fishman and combine it with a Preamp?
I highly recommend the following. The whole set is useful, but you can also buy the separate volumes and there's one dedicated to to amplifiers and PA systems, for example, and another for EQ and effects.

http://store.acousticguitar.com/prod...ion-essentials

I don't know much about what's available in Italy and at what price. The Fishman Mini is a popular small amp here in the U.S,, where it is moderately priced. Your best bet is to find a local store where you can plug your guitar into a few different amps to see which one sounds best to you in your price-range. For playing at home you don't need much volume--and you don't need amplification at all unless you're experimenting with effects and/or practicing for performing. As far as wattage is concerned, there's no point in paying for watts you're not going to need, but there's not going to be a big difference for you between a 30 watt amp and a 60 watt amp. You'll just play it at a volume comfortable for your purposes.

Louis

Last edited by lschwart; 01-18-2016 at 07:26 PM.
Old 01-18-2016, 06:51 PM

With an acoustic amp, no pre amp is necessary.

I would buy the best acoustic amp you can afford and don't bother with the preamp at this time.
The Old Lady
Goldilocks
Flipper

"Sometimes I play a song I never heard before" Thelonious Monk
Old 01-18-2016, 09:32 PM

Which one in this list? All around 350-400€

-FISHMAN LOUDBOX MINI

-Roland ac40

-SHERWOOD 60r

-LANEY A1+

-Peavey Ecoustic e112

-Marshall AS50D

They are all more powered than I was looking for... According to you, if I go down with power I will find always an Amplifier that has the same quality and the same EQ and Effects? For example the Peavey Ecoustic E208 has less Watts than E112 and the difference is just this one?
Old 01-18-2016, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Which one in this list? All around 350-400€

-FISHMAN LOUDBOX MINI

-Roland ac40

-SHERWOOD 60r

-LANEY A1+

-Peavey Ecoustic e112

-Marshall AS50D

They are all more powered than I was looking for... According to you, if I go down with power I will find always an Amplifier that has the same quality and the same EQ and Effects? For example the Peavey Ecoustic E208 has less Watts than E112 and the difference is just this one?
Watts have nothing to do with EQ and effects. Some amps have lower watts and more effects/EQ controls than others, some are more powerful and have fewer effects and/or simpler EQ controls. And a lot of factors affect the overall quality of an amp. I meant that just because an amp can get pretty loud doesn't mean you have to play it that loud to sound good. It's also true that most amps, except maybe the very cheapest ones, sound good at low volume levels. It's the ability to sound good at higher volumes that distinguishes the higher quality amps.

Of the amps you list, I'm only familiar with the Fishman, the Roland, and the Marshall. All three are very good little amps that will give you decent control over your tone and some good basic effects. They'll all give you more volume than you'll need right now, but you will be able to use them comfortably and with good sound a lower levels. The Fishman and the Roland are smaller and lighter than the Marshall, if that matters to you, and both offer slightly more control over EQ (they both have separate control of the level of the middle frequencies in addition to the highs and lows--the Marshall only offers control of the highs and lows--whether or not that makes a difference, will depend on your guitar and your own ears). Roland also makes a slightly smaller AC 30, which can be powered by battery and has a looper that can be very useful for practicing. All three of these amps (and the AC 30, too) will remain useful to you later if you begin to perform in public. You should be able to plug directly into any of them without any external preamp.

I hope that helps.

Louis
Old 01-18-2016, 11:56 PM

The OP lives in Italy, so any and all replies should be based on that and the OP's stared budget of 200 Euros. Ric
Old 01-19-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Sorry I have a very little english so I didn't understand all your thought , you are suggesting to me to buy a preamp or you are saying that with the Yamaha Pickup I don't need a Preamp because the guitar sound will satisfy me also just connecting it directly to an Amp? Sorry again.
It's okay Arroww, sorry I wasn't more clear. No, you don't need a preamp for the pickup in the Yamaha you speak of. I was saying you should try some if you get a chance- I think you will like them and prefer the tone.
Old 01-19-2016, 04:00 PM

May I ask you the last 2 things:

1) in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tvjhiGHzIs we can listen the guitar sound from Microphone - Pickup - Microphone/Pickup. The sound I can listen when is used the only Pickup SRT to be honest I don't like.
So, that sound, come out from an amplifier or is a computer recording? If you say me the guitar connected to an amplifier will sound in that way I really don't like.

2) With an amplifier for acoustic guitar for example the Fishman, could I play a Semi Hollow body too for Jazz and Blues??
Old 01-19-2016, 05:39 PM

Quote:
May I ask you the last 2 things:

1) in this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tvjhiGHzIs we can listen the guitar sound from Microphone - Pickup - Microphone/Pickup. The sound I can listen when is used the only Pickup SRT to be honest I don't like.
So, that sound, come out from an amplifier or is a computer recording? If you say me the guitar connected to an amplifier will sound in that way I really don't like.

2) With an amplifier for acoustic guitar for example the Fishman, could I play a Semi Hollow body too for Jazz and Blues??
That is the sound of the pickup, pretty typical for that type of pickup. Some careful EQ and a little reverb can make it sound more natural, and an amp or preamp with a sweepable mid control can help. No pickup sounds like two very good condenser mics or like the natural sound of a good guitar. They all offer trade-offs of one kind or another. The trade-off is between natural sound and a sound that works in a given live situation (does it cut through a mix in a band? does it feedback too easily? Does it work well with the effects I want to use? etc.).

You could use a semi hollow body with any of those acoustic amps, but it might not have quite the warm "jazz box" sound you're might be seeking. You would have to experiment to see. There are acoustic amps that are designed to get that sound, some of them, for example, have a tweeter you can turn off or turn down, which can help you get that characteristic sound.

Louis

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification