The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 10-21-2016, 08:41 AM

Default Pickup System in 2 of my guitars

I've just recently had a couple of my guitars have pickups installed. In both cases I used a combination of a Highlander IP2 and K&K Pure mini. I got a seriously good guitar tech to perform the installations, Stuart Palmer, who does all of Martin Simpson's work here in the UK. Highlander pickups are notoriously fiddly to install properly, so it's really important to use someone who knows their stuff. Stuart also made me up a couple of stereo cables which allows me to feed the signal from both pickups into my pre-amp, a PZ-Pre Tonebone by Radial. The tonebone has a switch option to allow input 1 to take a stereo signal and split it into its two channels. In that way I can dial in the sound I want by combining the output of the two pickups. The Radial also has on-board EQ as well as a notch filter. I just though I'd share this as I am very happy with the results, well pretty blown away actually, as was the sound guy at the gig I did last month. Obviously this approach is not particularly cheap, but definitely worth it in sonic terms. I can certainly recommend the Tonebone and have heard pretty goods things said about Radial in general, as far as sound quality is concerned.

Cheers,

Ian

Last edited by ianLP59; 10-21-2016 at 09:28 AM. Reason: incompetance !
Old 10-21-2016, 09:26 AM

That's awesome Ian. It's always nice to hear when someone is totally happy with their amplified tone. I for one am very happy with my current set up and sound but seem to always be on the lookout for something better. I guess there is something to be said about being satisfied with what you have.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification