The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 12-30-2017, 02:13 AM

Lightbulb Help ! Martin Drs1 vs Taylor 210ce vs Guild D150

Hey guys !

first of all, i'm sorry for my english mistakes. i'm learning.

so...i have a Guild D150, all solid guitar ( spruce on the top, indian rosewood back and sides) but i'm thinking about to sell it and buy a taylor or martin guitar. selling it i can get money enough money to buy the martin drs1 ( all solid sepele guitar + terrible fishman sonetone + hardshell case) or a taylor 210ce ( solid spruce top with laminated back and sides with a taylor hardcase). i CAN'T try those guitar in my city, we don't have it here. i intend to buy it on """brazilian craigslist""", that's why i'm asking your help with this. what you guys can say about those guitars? who have or tryied one of them ?
Old 12-30-2017, 03:01 AM

For me it’s the DRS1. No question. However, you may prefer the Taylor.
Old 12-30-2017, 05:14 AM
Charter Member

I have played both a newer Taylor 210ce and a newer DRS1 (having owned the DRS1). I'd say they are both excellent guitars, and exceptional values. If you decide to purchase either of these guitars, be sure you are getting a recent version of the model. If you go with the 210ce, confirm it has the ES2 electronics. If you go with the DRS1, confirm it has the hardwood neck, and not the Stratabond neck.

Regarding the differences between these two guitars, they are very different from each other.

The 210ce has "a spruce top voice", with a focus on the bass and treble, and "scooped" or reduced midrange. It is also brighter, and in my experience more responsive. Additionally, it is noticeably lighter, and sounds much, much better amplified. I believe the ES2 pick-up in the Taylor is the best factory pickup I have ever heard.

The DRS1, on the other hard, has "a hardwood top voice", with a strong focus on the midrange. It's tone is warmer, fuller, and more lush. Though the DRS1 is very "sweet sounding" and more harmonious than the 210ce because of its focus on fundamental tones, it is also noticeably quieter than the 210ce. Also, as you point out, the Fishman pickup in the DRS1 is not in the same league as the ES2 in the Taylor.

Finally, here are a few other observations based on my experiences with these guitars:
  • Fit and finish on both guitars is typically excellent.
  • As you mention the Martin is all-solid Sapele.
  • Though the Taylor's back and sides are layered wood, it is a very well made laminate, and the Taylor's unbraced, arched back also helps with projection. (I am a fan )
  • The fretboard and bridge on the Taylor are true Ebony.
  • The top on the Taylor has a gloss finish, while its back and sides have a satin finish. The Martin has an all satin finish.
  • In the U.S., the DRS1 comes with a hardshell case, while the 210ce came with a hard gig bag (while the 210ce DLX comes with an excellent hardshell case). Confirm which case comes with each guitar before making your purchase.
Bottom line, both of these guitars are excellent, though they are very different from one another. Good luck!

2017 Alvarez Yairi OY70CE - Sugaree
c.1966 Regal Sovereign R235 Jumbo - Old Dollar
2009 Martin 000-15 - Brown Bella
1977 Gibson MK-35 - Apollo
2004 Fender American Stratocaster - The Blue Max
2017 Fender Custom American Telecaster - Brown Sugar
Think Hippie Thoughts...

Last edited by Ed-in-Ohio; 12-30-2017 at 05:53 AM. Reason: added details on guitars' finishes
Old 12-30-2017, 10:40 AM

I'd rather have the "terrible" Fishman than an ES system of any stripe myself. They always sound "metallic" for want a a better term.

Agree with what the poster above said about the solid neck though. The change was a couple years ago, and the hardwood neck is much nicer than the laminated one.

The Taylor will be more responsive than the Martin, but if you play with a flatpick I don't think you would really notice. The Martin Neck will be pretty similar to your Guild, (both are 16" radius), the Taylor will be a little tighter at 15". Like the old arch-back Guilds, the laminated shallow arch of the Taylor aids projection considerably, so if you play in a group the Taylor will cut through much better.

The Martin has no rosewood on it. (The fretboard and bridge are "Richlite" and the headstock overlay is HPL). While in general, I would consider these to be downgrades, this may be a significant advantage if you are planning on crossing any international boarders. I'm actually considering picking up a 000RSI (the 000/OM version of the DRS1) for that exact reason.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

Last edited by AZLiberty; 12-30-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 12-30-2017, 11:01 AM

While the Stratabond neck has some detractors, the vast majority of those I know who have owned a guitar with the Stratabond neck love them and have found them (laminated necks) extremely stable, stiff and wonderful to play. That wouldn't dissuade me at all.
Old 12-30-2017, 12:16 PM

I'm not sure why you would want to sell your all solid wood Guild to buy the Taylor 214ce which has HPL back and sides. I actually have owned a Taylor 214ce. I had it for about 2 days and I took it back and got my money back. It just wasn't the guitar for me. You have a Dreadnought now and I have a feeling you would be disappointed with the sound of the Taylor 214 compared to your Guild. I'm just curious as to why you want to sell your guild. I have read good reviews about this guitar. As far as the Martin, do you think you would like the sound of the sapele over the Rosewood. I can only tell you my opinion. I have played many sapele back and sided guitars and I always prefer the sound of rosewood back and sides. This is just my 2 cents. If you are wanting a guitar with a pick up system just put one in your Guild. The K&K pure mini is an excellent choice and at 100 bucks very reasonable. The L.R. Baggs Anthem is also good but more expensive at 300 bucks. It is an active pick up where the K&K is passive. You could probably put them in your self and save some money. There are videos on line to show you how to do it. Let us know what you decide.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:12 PM

Default thanks for answer, guys

thanks for answer, guys. but i didn't understand what is more "responsive". anyone can explain me?
Old 12-30-2017, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
I'm not sure why you would want to sell your all solid wood Guild to buy the Taylor 214ce which has HPL back and sides. I actually have owned a Taylor 214ce. I had it for about 2 days and I took it back and got my money back. It just wasn't the guitar for me. You have a Dreadnought now and I have a feeling you would be disappointed with the sound of the Taylor 214 compared to your Guild. I'm just curious as to why you want to sell your guild. I have read good reviews about this guitar. As far as the Martin, do you think you would like the sound of the sapele over the Rosewood. I can only tell you my opinion. I have played many sapele back and sided guitars and I always prefer the sound of rosewood back and sides. This is just my 2 cents. If you are wanting a guitar with a pick up system just put one in your Guild. The K&K pure mini is an excellent choice and at 100 bucks very reasonable. The L.R. Baggs Anthem is also good but more expensive at 300 bucks. It is an active pick up where the K&K is passive. You could probably put them in your self and save some money. There are videos on line to show you how to do it. Let us know what you decide.

To be honest, the guild is hard to sell in brazil. few people know this brand. martin or taylor are good brands to sell if i have financial problems, the money will solve the problem. we're passing through an economic crises in brazil, i'm trying to be prepared getting a "good guitar to sell" if i lost my job or something
Old 12-30-2017, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed-in-Ohio View Post
I have played both a newer Taylor 210ce and a newer DRS1 (having owned the DRS1). I'd say they are both excellent guitars, and exceptional values. If you decide to purchase either of these guitars, be sure you are getting a recent version of the model. If you go with the 210ce, confirm it has the ES2 electronics. If you go with the DRS1, confirm it has the hardwood neck, and not the Stratabond neck.

Regarding the differences between these two guitars, they are very different from each other.

The 210ce has "a spruce top voice", with a focus on the bass and treble, and "scooped" or reduced midrange. It is also brighter, and in my experience more responsive. Additionally, it is noticeably lighter, and sounds much, much better amplified. I believe the ES2 pick-up in the Taylor is the best factory pickup I have ever heard.

The DRS1, on the other hard, has "a hardwood top voice", with a strong focus on the midrange. It's tone is warmer, fuller, and more lush. Though the DRS1 is very "sweet sounding" and more harmonious than the 210ce because of its focus on fundamental tones, it is also noticeably quieter than the 210ce. Also, as you point out, the Fishman pickup in the DRS1 is not in the same league as the ES2 in the Taylor.

Finally, here are a few other observations based on my experiences with these guitars:
  • Fit and finish on both guitars is typically excellent.
  • As you mention the Martin is all-solid Sapele.
  • Though the Taylor's back and sides are layered wood, it is a very well made laminate, and the Taylor's unbraced, arched back also helps with projection. (I am a fan )
  • The fretboard and bridge on the Taylor are true Ebony.
  • The top on the Taylor has a gloss finish, while its back and sides have a satin finish. The Martin has an all satin finish.
  • In the U.S., the DRS1 comes with a hardshell case, while the 210ce came with a hard gig bag (while the 210ce DLX comes with an excellent hardshell case). Confirm which case comes with each guitar before making your purchase.
Bottom line, both of these guitars are excellent, though they are very different from one another. Good luck!

bro, it is Stratabond neck... :/ how bad is it ?
Old 12-30-2017, 06:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icaro738 View Post
bro, it is Stratabond neck... :/ how bad is it ?
I do not think I would buy a guitar with a Stratabond neck without playing the guitar first. These necks can be quite heavy throwing the balance of the guitar off, and the necks can also sometimes have an almost unfinished (not sanded) feel.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 12-30-2017, 07:08 PM

This is sort of like deciding between Ayrton Senna, Emerson Fittipaldi, and Rubens Barrichello.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Scott View Post
This is sort of like deciding between Ayrton Senna, Emerson Fittipaldi, and Rubens Barrichello.
haha good one, bro B)
Old 12-30-2017, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by baw3 View Post
The Taylor 200 series does not have HPL b&s, they are laminate, an entirely different kettle of fish. I have played a fair number of Taylors the past few years, and, FWIW, have generally preferred the Mexi 100 and 200 series to the higher ones.

I prefer Taylor to either Guild or Martin on constructional grounds - the shim-adjustable bolt-on neck - but tone is a personal thing, and the Taylor pickup/preamp system seems to get a bad rap. I wouldn't see an all-sapele guitar, such as the Martin, easily comparable with either the Guild or the Taylor in terms of tone
Old 12-30-2017, 07:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Done View Post
...snip... I have played a fair number of Taylors the past few years, and, FWIW, have generally preferred the Mexi 100 and 200 series to the higher ones. ...snip...
Big +1! I believe the arched back and lack of bracing on the layered backs of the Taylor 100 and 200 guitars more than makes up for the backs and sides not being solid.

Of course, your mileage may vary.

Think Hippie Thoughts...
Old 12-30-2017, 08:08 PM

I have a martin (dx1) with the stratabond neck. It's not the worst to play on. It looks funky but is easy to fret. My finish is starting to come off of it though. I'd go with the taylor imho

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
acoustic guitar, guild d150, martin drs1, taylor 210ce