The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 09-02-2017, 12:27 PM

Default Beginner YouTuber looking for recording/mixing advices

Hello, so before I ask what I need advice for, I want to quickly say what do I need it for.

Currently I am studying classical guitar in Italy (I'm from Croatia, Europe btw) and I decided to open YouTube channel where I'll be posting videos. I mostly play instrumental guitar arrangements, I'm a really bad singer so I decided that I can sing much better with my guitar and fingerstyle comes in handy! In future I would like to make much better quality videos so people can listen but as we all do, I have to start from scratch.

I almost never experimented with any electric guitar, amplifications or anything, mostly played classical guitar.

When I decided to start with my project I had a budget of around 500 €. After some research I ordered USB audio interface (Focusrite Scarlett 2i4), MXL 603SPR Stereo Set, 2 mic stands, 2 pro snake TPM 6 cables and pop filter. (406 € w shipping) I use Adobe Audition for audio because I used it in my high school, it has what I need and even more and until I become much better in mixing I don't need much better program like Cubase etc...

The problem I am having is that I bought stereo mics but I never really utilized stereo mics so mostly I use only one because I don't know how to get better sound. I don't get much different sound with 1 or 2 mics. When I record my classical guitar I get a lot of bass out of it (if I move mic from the body then the sound is shallow and not so rich).

I am aware that one of the problems is that I am recording in standard bedroom because I don't have a budget yet to make silent room.

I wanted to ask you for any tips & tricks you have about recording acoustic guitar (classical also) in standard bedroom. If you know any articles or videos online which helped you understand on making guitar sound more natural while mixing in adobe audition and not just sound like I am in some kind of closed room (which I am). I always end up putting so many effects, reverbs etc. so that my guitar sounds distorted (but I still like it that way because the first thing I get after recording is really shallow sound with no color or depth or richness.

Of course there are similar answers already here on forum but wanted to ask
the people who went through this in the past for their personal experience for some videos,tips,articles or advices that helped THEM figuring how they want to record their instruments and mix them in the future.

Here's an example on which you can comment where can I start to make recordings better, it's my 2nd recording ever, it's ok but as you can hear it doesn't sound natural, more like I put some effects on it (which I did of course haha)

Sorry for long post, not in a hurry, whenever anyone has some tip it's welcome, have a nice evening !
Old 09-03-2017, 06:54 AM

Experiment with mic placement. Point one mic towards fret #12, about 12" (30cm) out, aimed slightly towards the soundhole. You might want to be even closer to get less 'room' in the sound. Hang a blanket or duvet on the walls in front of you and behind you to cut down reflections.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-04-2017, 03:58 AM

Beautiful rendition of that song!
Thanks for that.

Since you didn't post your song without effects, it's hard to judge, but in my opinion, you could dial the reverb down a little, it's a bit over the top.

Reverb is a tool that needs to be used with caution, it's very easy to get carried away.

What other effects have you used?

Acoustic guitar doesn't need many effects at all, I never use anything except for a little reverb.

Also, I'm curious, did you use three cameras, or did you make three separate recordings and cut the video with that? it's a very good video.

My tracks on SoundCloud (Lønhart Duo):

YouTube page:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCZT...HIR4tGnwhusf8w

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Gretch G5420T Electromatic
Aria Pro II Cardinal Series 250
Old 09-04-2017, 04:27 PM

Ill try this with mics, getting closer so I get less room. Thanks !

As far as effects, this is where I get lost. I "click" buttons until I get somewhat "full" sound although often it gets too full in the end hehe Mostly in Adobe Audition I go to Multiband compressions and I mix 1-2 presets then I put some reverb on it but before all that I go to silence reduction. In the end I just normalize the volumen so it doesn't peak too much and that's it from me for now.

For camera, Since I don't have 2 cameras (I'd like to) I approach music video the way someone would approach any other music video. I record audio first, mix it then I film 2-3 scenes and then I do my best to edit them to look as natural as it can.

But even though I think that way you get better quality video (if you do it properly not like me hehe) I will simplify my next videos. They are gonna be about 1:30-2 min long, I'll play arrangements to like refrain then cut to the end and something like that. Keep it short and simple for new listeners and I'll be able to record 2-3 videos a week so more content for me to experiment and try to get better as soon as possible. And, I'll film them all in one take, me in front of the camera. Really keep it simple, I didn't realize how much it is before I got into it. Once I get better in recording, mixing and editing then I'll start thinking about making full videos again.

Next video I'll keep the original and upload it here, past ones I deleted em because well I hated em haha

To be fair, Ed Sheeran and this video here are my 2 first ever videos and actually 2 videos I am most happy with how they are edited (compared to my knowledge of course)
Old 09-04-2017, 05:15 PM

Default Beginner YouTuber looking for recording/mixing advices

Thank you for the info on the video process Marco. [emoji108]

As for the sound editing, I think you overdo it with effects.

Usually, acoustic guitars don't need compression at all, as you lose some of the dynamic range, which is not recommended on acoustic guitar at all.

Try with one microphone first, place it fairly close to the guitar, pointing just next to the soundhole, NOT in front of it.

We're talking between the soundhole and the bridge here.

Make a recording with that microphone in mono, moving the mic a little bit to the sides and back and forth, until you get the best sound with no effects.

When you get a satisfactory sound, then you can experiment in stereo, with a mic close to and pointing at the part of the neck just about where it connects to the body.

When your satisfied, THEN put a little reverb on.
A good technique is turn the reverb up until you can clearly hear it, then dial it down until you don't notice it.

If you don't get a satisfactory sound, try adjusting with an equalizer.

No other effects should be applied, (as a rule), to an acoustic guitar.

Of course, as with everything, rules are there to be broken, but not until you master a lot with less.

Does that last sentence make any sense? English isn't my first language... [emoji848]

Good luck, and I look forward to hear your future recordings.

Jan

YouTube page:

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Old 09-05-2017, 12:17 AM

I didn't have the opportunity to listen to the video you linked to in your latest post last night, as it was too late for music when I wrote my answer.
Listening to it now, it's very distorted, which I suspect is related to the input being too "hot", u think you need to dial down the input level a bit.
It could also be attributed to compression, too much of that can lead to a distorted sound.

It's too bad, because it's very nicely performed.

YouTube page:

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Old 09-05-2017, 07:05 AM

A lot of helpful tips here, thank you @TallDrink

Yes I understand what you meant in that sentence hehe I will record with 1 mic, try to put it as closely as I can. When I do it I'll upload original audio file before I use it to record the video. I'll also upload file where I'll try to use the equalizer with reverb the way you described. (I'll also youtube/google a bit 'bout equalizers)

I came to an idea which I will try, I really don't know if it will help me but hey...

Take a tinny blanked and put it over me,guitar and mic so I trap the echo maybe a little with that? It will be a bit weird playing guitar like that but if it will help a little why not.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:13 AM

I think a blanket over you is overkill.. [emoji1]
Maybe a blanket behind you or behind the mic stand, but I don't think that's as big a problem for you as mic placement and learning to use the effects effectively.

It's not necessarily certain that you have to use an EQ, try a mono recording, a bit of reverb, experiment with mic proximity, not too close, not too far away from the guitar.

Also, if you can't get satisfactory results, if you can, borrow or buy a big membrane condensator microphone, maybe that'll give you the sound you're looking for.

YouTube page:

Taylor 324
Martin DX1AE
Old 09-05-2017, 07:48 AM

Here is a short recording of a "Pokemon" theme. I didn't touch the file except just noise reduction a bit (which I had to put far less then before actually) and a fade out in the end because there was weird "chick" sound in the end which I realized only after finishing recording and listened to the recording on my headphones.

You can hear it HERE

Mic was about 10 cm from the guitar, pointed somewhere to 14-15th fret but not toward the sound hole since I want to avoid bassy sound (my classical guitar actually has loud basses in real life so)

Last edited by MarkoMarkus; 09-05-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 07:56 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoMarkus View Post
Ill try this with mics, getting closer so I get less room. Thanks !

As far as effects, this is where I get lost. I "click" buttons until I get somewhat "full" sound although often it gets too full in the end hehe Mostly in Adobe Audition I go to Multiband compressions and I mix 1-2 presets then I put some reverb on it but before all that I go to silence reduction. In the end I just normalize the volumen so it doesn't peak too much and that's it from me for now.
Couple of thoughts on mixing and some general rules of thumb.
While experimentation is key to the learning curve and I would encourage it .
There are some well established mixing practices which can make the learning more efficient.

#1 Distortion (whether noticed as distortion or not ) tends to inhibit the sense of depth and presence.

The more distortion that is introduced the more the sound becomes "flat" and two dimensional .

In general, time domain effects reverb delay etc introduce distortion. Use sparingly

#2There is a psychoacoustic phenomenon that can fool one into mistaking louder for fuller/better

A boost in volume, will initially be perceived as "sounding better" "sounding fuller"

#3 Processing is two edged sword, it can add or it can subtract. Or it can add in one area yet subtract in another.

My suggestion for order of mixing process/technique is first get a referenced recording/mix to be able to regularly listen and compare your work to while mixing

How you are going about or waht exact tool are you using for getting the "silence reduction" or "Noise reduction " you are talking about ?

I do so by
#1 Subtractive EQ ( multiband EQ with adjustable Q ) first to clean up the sound and reduce distortion ( particularly low end distortion) and depending on the room any other blatant problem frequencies .

# 2 The subtractive may be all that is needed then you can experiment with very slight 1 to 3 db additive EQ ( probably only in the high range 8k and up ) listen for a slight increase in air/presence

Once you are getting a getting a good clean present sound then it is time to consider any possible reverb. (again understand reverb will introduce distortion so use it sparingly (as TallDrink noted the turn it up until it is noticeable, then back it down is good starting method) Also I prefer to use the parallel method for my reverb effects.

Multiband compression is a very complex mastering tool and should probably only be used with some fairly extensive of compression and mastering knowledge and experience and alway only vary slightly.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 09-06-2017 at 07:23 AM.
Old 09-05-2017, 08:02 AM

Definitely DON'T try the 'blanket over you, the guitar and mic' method - you'll get a real boxy unpleasant sound that you will be forever trying to fix with EQ.

My music: https://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

2020 Taylor 324ceBE
2017 Taylor 114ce-N
2012 Taylor 310ce
2011 Fender CD140SCE
Ibanez 12 string a/e
73(?) Epiphone 6830E 6 string

72 Fender Telecaster
Epiphone Dot Studio
Epiphone LP Jr
Chinese Strat clone

Kala baritone ukulele
Seagull 'Merlin'
Washburn Mandolin
Luna 'tatoo' a/e ukulele
antique banjolin
Squire J bass
Old 09-05-2017, 09:52 AM

MIXED TRACK

There, I just put 2% wet reverb (didn't touch the dry one) and I put "acoustic guitar" preset on equalizer and normalized the audio so it is not too loud. First I was gonna do it without equalizer but when I turned off my headset and put on other 2 sets of speakers I have, I found the speakers are distorting on lower sounds so I put that preset which as I saw on the curve lowered the lower end.

I understand it's not near perfect, but so far for me it sounds lot better then previous videos up there, they all sound a lot lot lot distorted now for me to..

Do you like more this version that's very little mixed or the original recording with just noise reduction in my previous post?

Btw I use Adobe Audition, is that even a good RAW to work with in the beginning?

Last edited by MarkoMarkus; 09-05-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Old 09-05-2017, 02:17 PM

Hmm I am not sure if you can hear those links up there because of dropbox not sharing for others... Here are other links

1. Original recording (just noise reduction)

2. Mixed (2% on wet reverb and EQ "acoustic guitar" preset)
Old 09-13-2017, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkoMarkus View Post
MIXED TRACK

Btw I use Adobe Audition, is that even a good RAW to work with in the beginning?
I wasn't aware that Adobe made a recording program, but it makes sense based on what they do in general. But the subscription price seems very high compared to what is out there.

Like you I am a novice at recording, and am just now starting to become more serious about getting good recordings. Though just a beginner I have tried out a couple recording programs: The most comprehensive programs and the best bargain out there IMO is Reaper. https://www.reaper.fm/
They have a full trial version that you can extend beyond the stated period and the license is only $60. It is as close to a professional DAW that you can get without spending much more.

Pro Tools seems to be the defacto professional recording DAW and comes in a few different flavors. http://www.avid.com/pro-tools/compare They seem to have gone to a subscription service now too with prices starting at $5/mo to $83/mo. One year of the entry level pro tools version is the same price as an unlimited license for Reaper.

Audacity is fast, simple and free. But simple is limited and sometimes the simplicity is clumsy if you want to do anything beyond quick recording.

Again, I'm talking beginner to beginner and stand ready to be corrected by the recording pros.
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Tags
acoustic guitar, home studio recording, recording guitar