The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-18-2013, 07:14 AM

Cool Strats

Thanks for the video, very worthwhile, makes me think.
I have found G&L strats to be decent; well built, nice fit and finish, good soung.
BTW Tom, your YouTube link works but the pro guitar secrets does not.
michael s.
Godin ACS SA Sunburst
Composite Acoustics Cargo
Campbell American UK1
G&L ASAT Classic
Aria Sinsinido
Fender Precision Bass
Old 02-18-2013, 10:43 PM

Two comments.

Tom, you are a born teacher. I love every one of your videos and am now watching them to take a master class. Thank you so much for sharing your knowledge in such an approachable way. I am working on your series on chord inversions now.

Fret..thanks for the info. I dont know how to tweak pickups and I never have, but I am going to learn. I am certain I can sweeten the tone up with your advice.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davis Webb View Post
Can you hear a difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWJdw4L5Gw

If you can, you should become a pro piano tuner.

For the rest of us, its pretty obvious. And this is the bullet strat, not even the Squier.

Save your money!
This may generate some hostility but I did try one of the bullets and found it less than acceptable...

Sorry....the overall quality makes a difference to me...

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015
Old 02-19-2013, 11:36 AM

Hey Trek, that happens alot. You have to hunt for a good Bullit. But they are out there. For me, going up to the Squier was a big jump. The jump to MIM strats is the next one, coming in at $270 used or so. The Pacifica and other strat copies sit somewhere near the Buillit.

Its a numbers game with high production low cost strats, but when you find a good one...
Old 02-19-2013, 01:46 PM

I think this demo supports the advice that a beginner can pay a little for a Squire Strat and be very satisfied during the learning process. I have tried several Squire Strats and never quite found the feel of my US or MIM Fender Strats.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-20-2013, 10:54 PM

Of course...not knocking them but if you are comparing them there is no comparison...

The american made strats are so much better!

Taylor GS8e (2007)
Taylor 310 (2000)
Taylor 214ce (2007)
Fender Stratocaster American Standard (1990)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster (2011)
Ibanez AEG 10NII (nylon) 2015
Old 02-21-2013, 12:45 AM

I dont know if they are THAT much better. Maybe the finish, fretboard. But honestly, listening to that video comparison, to say they are much different is stretching it. Think of the variable, labor price, US vs overseas, as significant.

Also, not only is the Squier a beginners guitar, but also a poor mans guitar. And given that Tom did some work with Justin Bieber using a Squier on his latest album, thats kudos to it.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:13 AM

Thanks, so much to Tom for that "African Guitar" video. Awesome.

I have to say, I've always found the same thing. There's really no such thing as a bad sound, just sounds that are or aren't useful in a given situation. Sometimes objectively "meh" instruments are the best thing in a given context.
Old 02-21-2013, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Can you hear a difference?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OrWJdw4L5Gw

If you can, you should become a pro piano tuner.

For the rest of us, its pretty obvious. And this is the bullet strat, not even the Squier.

Save your money!
This is a BS thread. Again someone trying to justify the fact they cannot afford the guitar they want. I'll put my 57 AVRI strat against anyones Squire any day. Someone I play with regularly has a Squire and everytime we play, in about 5minutes he is saying, "man that strat sounds great".

If I blind folded you and put my guitar in your hands, you would want the AVRI Strat afterwards!!

2011 57 Reissue Vintage American Stratocaster Lefty
2011 Martin OM28V L
2010 Takamine EG340CH (JUNK)
2013 Seagull S12 Lefty

Last edited by lovetheclassics; 02-21-2013 at 10:50 AM. Reason: mis-type
Old 02-21-2013, 10:25 AM

Read the notes on the video;

All guitar knobs are wide open and played using the neck position. Overdrive and amp settings are the same.

Now just let it run for 5 friends and dont tell them the order and have them tell ya which is which.

I am just saying that its a fun exercise and kind of shocking. I did the test myself and kept saying..okay, thats the US one. Then I was wrong, especially on clean.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Read the notes on the video;

All guitar knobs are wide open and played using the neck position. Overdrive and amp settings are the same.

Now just let it run for 5 friends and dont tell them the order and have them tell ya which is which.

I am just saying that its a fun exercise and kind of shocking. I did the test myself and kept saying..okay, thats the US one. Then I was wrong, especially on clean.
That is ok...I am not interested in watching the video. I have played many electric guitars and listented to many in person. Listening to some video on the internet is not the same as hearing it in person! You also cannot feel it in person. Take my AVRI Strat, plug it into an amp and listen and feel. That is all I need.

2011 Martin OM28V L
2013 Seagull S12 Lefty
Old 02-21-2013, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovetheclassics View Post
This is a BS thread. Again someone trying to justify the fact they cannot afford the guitar they want. I'll put my 57 AVRI strat against anyones Squire any day. Someone I play with regularly has a Squire and everytime we play, in about 5minutes he is saying, "man that strat sounds great".

If I blind folded you and put my guitar in your hands, you would want the AVRI Strat afterwards!!
I generally agree, but if you tried to bend me in half with your eyes closed, I'd probably be too distracted to evaluate your Strat.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalton View Post
I generally agree, but if you tried to bend me in half with your eyes closed, I'd probably be too distracted to evaluate your Strat.

2011 Martin OM28V L
2013 Seagull S12 Lefty
Old 02-21-2013, 04:19 PM

Well I think I made my case. As a stop gap solution on the quest to a good USA Strat, its obvious that the Squier or even the Bullet won't be a waste of good cash.
Hereby let it be resolved that if you have to settle for a Squier, all is not lost!
Old 02-21-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Well I think I made my case. As a stop gap solution on the quest to a good USA Strat, its obvious that the Squier or even the Bullet won't be a waste of good cash.
Hereby let it be resolved that if you have to settle for a Squier, all is not lost!
Hopefully you realize there is nothing wrong with buying what you can afford. I dont think anything is wrong with a Squire and I do not slam anyone who owns one. Just do not try and justify bogus comparisons.

Cheers, and good luck in your quest!

2011 Martin OM28V L
2013 Seagull S12 Lefty

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars