The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 11-05-2011, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TjthePhD View Post
R0, R8, R9, all through the Reinhardt 18. I play them all interchangeably, but if I could keep only one, it would probably be the R8.

Amazing! I've never played a Reissue before. Great family photo. What's next on your wish list? Do they make 'R' series other than those three?
Old 11-05-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
Amazing! I've never played a Reissue before. Great family photo. What's next on your wish list? Do they make 'R' series other than those three?
Thanks! If I am not mistaken, Gibson offers reissues for 54, 55, 57, 58, 59, and 60.

These three all have different voices. The R9 is the most aggressive and in-your-face. It is also the heaviest and has the beefiest neck. The R0 is a Wildwood Guitars Spec guitar, with special wind pickups and long studs, which make it sound (to me) more articulate and open. That particular guitar is actually pictured on Wildwood's Gibson guitar page.

The R8 has all of the fundamentals down well, which is why it is the one I would keep if I could only keep one. Plus I am a sucker for a Les Paul in tobacco sunburst.

I wouldn't mind trying an R7 but they frequently have even larger necks and are often heavier than those I have already, and I have about reached my limits in both categories. My bank account has also reached its limits.

I own a guitar.
Old 11-05-2011, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKYHIGH View Post
Nice Mercury!
Tell me about it. how do you like it? What speaker and tubes?
Hi David -

I've owned the Mercury for about 4 maybe 5 years. It is am amazing amp. I've had conversations with Steve Carr about that particular amp, and I must say he did a fantastic job with it.

Some have criticized the cost of the amp. I can honestly say that with any Carr Amp you will truly "get what you pay for" with it. The quality is first rate. There are now quite a few amps that have the ability to alter the output wattage -- the Mercury was ahead of its' time in that respect. But not all of them handle attenuation in the same manner. On the Mercury, you really can use the 1/10 Watt setting and still get some really good "tube tone" from it. Obviously, when you crank the Wattage and use the "boost" settings in can really get punchy. With my Strat it does some wonderful hot single coil tones... with a humbucker guitar you can get nice "crunchy" tones. And pretty much anything else in between. Regardless of the Wattage settings, however, it likes to be pushed hard.

I own an old Gibson solid state -- which is way cool -- but like an old VW Beetle compared to the Carr. My other "good electric" amp is a handwired Vox AC15 Heritage... a wonderful amp, but of course a whole different world tone wise from the Carr. An English classic, for sure. As such, I think the Mercury is very likely best described as an true "American" Amp.

The Speaker is a 12" Eminence "Red, White, and Blue Patriot" Model. A really good speaker that has broken in very nicely. The tunes are all "Grove Tube's". One EL-34, and three - 12AX7's. There is some option for some flexibility.

The quality of the amp is just totally first rate. I expect it to last a very long time.

Anyway, so, thanks for asking and I hope this is helpful to you!

Best'
Will ~
Old 11-05-2011, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
TaylorPlayer, Love your setup. The Grtesch is stunning. Darwin
Thank you... It's quite a wonderful guitar.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:24 PM

Default My amps & two favorite guitars

and this one

Old 11-07-2011, 12:33 AM

Quote:
Thanks! If I am not mistaken, Gibson offers reissues for 54, 55, 57, 58, 59, and 60.

These three all have different voices. The R9 is the most aggressive and in-your-face. It is also the heaviest and has the beefiest neck. The R0 is a Wildwood Guitars Spec guitar, with special wind pickups and long studs, which make it sound (to me) more articulate and open. That particular guitar is actually pictured on Wildwood's Gibson guitar page.

The R8 has all of the fundamentals down well, which is why it is the one I would keep if I could only keep one. Plus I am a sucker for a Les Paul in tobacco sunburst.

I wouldn't mind trying an R7 but they frequently have even larger necks and are often heavier than those I have already, and I have about reached my limits in both categories. My bank account has also reached its limits.
Not a 55. There's (or always was) a 56, and a 52 was also produced but may not be current now, not sure.
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-07-2011, 07:29 AM

My ES-335 and Vibrolux-Reverb. I play through my Princeton Reverb more often though.

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 11-07-2011, 08:21 AM

my customed out Epiphone Les Paul custom (my pride and joy)

I play it on a Palomino V3212 amp
Old 11-07-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveyam View Post
Not a 55. There's (or always was) a 56, and a 52 was also produced but may not be current now, not sure.
Wildwood Guitars has a whole page of 55's, the "Les Paul '55 Series" put out by Gibson's Custom Shop. I think they are billed as goldtops refinished as 'bursts with offset tops, long studs, and a neck carve modeled on a real 55.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/elect..._55_series.htm

Musician's Friend sells them as well; I haven't looked around but I am sure they are generally available.

I wasn't aware of the R6, but it doesn't surprise me!

I own a guitar.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Silberman View Post
As one hatted mustachioed man to another, nice rig.
Thanks, your rig looks pretty good too, but I think your mustache has mine beat!
Old 11-07-2011, 09:54 AM

I am obsessed with my ES 335 right now. (Pardon my living room mess)

Old 11-07-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Wildwood Guitars has a whole page of 55's, the "Les Paul '55 Series" put out by Gibson's Custom Shop. I think they are billed as goldtops refinished as 'bursts with offset tops, long studs, and a neck carve modeled on a real 55.

http://www.wildwoodguitars.com/elect..._55_series.htm

Musician's Friend sells them as well; I haven't looked around but I am sure they are generally available.

I wasn't aware of the R6, but it doesn't surprise me!
Ahh, I stand corrected! As you say, they ape what guitarists used to do; namely to take the finish of a goldtop (only to find an offset join in the top and/or non-bookmatched) and refinish it as a burst. I suppose it gives Gibson the chance to use up maple caps that aren't big enough otherwise!
Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..
Old 11-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Charter Member

There are really some sweet electrics showing up on this thread!-- Darwin
Old 11-07-2011, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrkstr View Post
I am obsessed with my ES 335 right now. (Pardon my living room mess)

An ES-335 with a Varitone...

Usually see them on 345 and 355 guitars.

How'd you end up with one on a 335?

Thanks!

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp
Old 11-07-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darwin View Post
I love to see electrics posted on this forum. Taylor builds some fine ones. The question was asked and I am going to give an honest answer. Each one of mine is a go to albeit for different reasons.

There is a Taylor SB-2 double cut in the second picture, a fine guitar.
My go to amp is a Fender Twin Reverb Custom 15 reissue. It is a very clean amp.
Darwin
Great PICS Darwin!! hey, what are your thought regarding Fender and G&L. If I was looking to buy a Strat style guitar would you recommend I take a serious look at G&L?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars