The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 10-31-2017, 10:28 AM

There are so many adoring fans of the Cargo. I didn’t realize it was such a well-loved guitar. Must check that one out sometime!
Old 10-31-2017, 10:50 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
There are so many adoring fans of the Cargo. I didn’t realize it was such a well-loved guitar. Must check that one out sometime!
Kramster has a bunch of them. Did you not try them while there?
Old 10-31-2017, 11:46 AM
Guest 928

I do not generally do steel string guitars. However, when I first saw and played a Cargo I was immediately fascinated at such good sound coming from such a small instrument. I ordered one from Ted, enjoyed it enough to then sell it and go for the Ox--both guitars were stellar. I gave them up to pursue my nylon interests but several years later, when peavey took over, I had to see the new improved Cargo. It is an incredible instrument. I ultimately sold it to stay focused on my nylon hunt. I think everyone should have a cargo sometime in their musical life. Ask Kramster, I heard that at one time he had 100 of them so that no matter when he was, there was a Cargo.
Old 10-31-2017, 11:50 AM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
I do not generally do steel string guitars. However, when I first saw and played a Cargo I was immediately fascinated at such good sound coming from such a small instrument. I ordered one from Ted, enjoyed it enough to then sell it and go for the Ox--both guitars were stellar. I gave them up to pursue my nylon interests but several years later, when peavey took over, I had to see the new improved Cargo. It is an incredible instrument. I ultimately sold it to stay focused on my nylon hunt. I think everyone should have a cargo sometime in their musical life. Ask Kramster, I heard that at one time he had 100 of them so that no matter when he was, there was a Cargo.
Iirc, it was photos/vids of Mark’s Cargos where Gumby first made his Kramster-appearance. A highlight in carbonfiberdom.
Old 10-31-2017, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Kramster has a bunch of them. Did you not try them while there?
I may have, but in the flurry of playing so many different instruments, I don’t recall playing that model. I’ll have to ask him for an opportunity to play one of his many Cargos, at the next hoe down.
Old 10-31-2017, 01:52 PM

Quote:
I may have, but in the flurry of playing so many different instruments, I don’t recall playing that model. I’ll have to ask him for an opportunity to play one of his many Cargos, at the next hoe down.
You did play one
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-31-2017, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
You did play one
Sounds like time for a reprise on that!

Second time around, with just three: Cargo, X7 Artisan, and Savoy? I'll bring the X7 Artisan. All three in pretty much the same size and suited to the same application?
Old 10-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sounds like time for a reprise on that!

Second time around, with just three: Cargo, X7 Artisan, and Savoy? I'll bring the X7 Artisan. All three in pretty much the same size and suited to the same application?

How would you compare the x7 with the cargo and savoy in tone/volume...
Old 10-31-2017, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
How would you compare the x7 with the cargo and savoy in tone/volume...
Quite easily. It isn't scientific. I play them and judge by how they sound and feel to me. That's all I need to do to make such a choice.
Old 10-31-2017, 03:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quite easily. It isn't scientific. I play them and judge by how they sound and feel to me. That's all I need to do to make such a choice.

I'm still interested in the x7. If you can could you describe the tone/ volume differences between the 3. Thanks dhart
Old 10-31-2017, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bry View Post
I'm still interested in the x7. If you can could you describe the tone/ volume differences between the 3. Thanks dhart
Given Mister K's gracious and generous hosting, I would be happy to A-B-C the three and give a personal opinion as to how they compare - to my ears. Hopefully with fairly fresh strings on all three. I mostly play with a small, heavy Dunlop Jazz pick, which can drive the strings and instrument to a strong vibrancy. I do play some limited finger style as well. I look forward to carefully comparing these three instruments! .

Mister K... is it o-k?

Last edited by DHart; 10-31-2017 at 06:47 PM.
Old 10-31-2017, 06:45 PM

Sounds like video time...
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 10-31-2017, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kramster View Post
Sounds like video time...
Sounds good to me. We can coordinate by text from here!

Fresh strings?

Last edited by DHart; 10-31-2017 at 07:09 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 08:58 AM
Guest 928

The ABC testing might take two forms. The first would be blind tests where Mr. K plays and DHart listens without looking--and then, without revealing his judgment, DHart plays and Mr. K listens. It would be interesting to see if they come up with consensus relative to sound.

The second test would be playability. How do the three instruments compare in comfort, easy of play, and so forth?

In any event, it's nice of DHart & Kramster to take the time to make and share such comparisons.
Old 11-01-2017, 01:14 PM

Interesting idea.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber