The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-18-2018, 11:30 AM
Charter Member

Default Jimmy Brown is keeping the morning ritual alive

When I was a kid I use to run to the end of the driveway every morning to get the newspaper. I was interested in current events, especially since it was part of our class participation grade at school. Later on when I played high school sports I thrilled when my name was occasionally mentioned in the reporting of the previous night's games.

I get most of the news over the Internet these days - just visit different sites for sports, weather, and the various news stories of the day/week/month.

Even though I get the local paper online everyday, I still subscribe to the hard copy. When I do read the physical copy, I only peruse the local community news as the wire services have the larger news stories online.

My wife keeps asking if we should cancel the hard copy since it mostly goes straight to the recycle bin. Maybe save a few trees in the process.

But I resist. There is something inherently comforting about the morning ritual - pouring a cup of coffee, calling the dog, and taking the walk to the end of the driveway to collect the morning paper. Sometimes I just come back into the house and put it down, other times I will grab a seat in the yard and browse the community section for local news while the dog browses through the flower garden for local rabbits to chase.

I suppose that one day the print editions will be gone, and with them will go a part of me.

CK
Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 AM

I'm very much a fan of reading the hard copy news paper as well as books and magazines.
Gamma G-25 Amp (electric)
Old 02-18-2018, 11:33 AM

I haven't had an actual newspaper in years, just read it online. Not too many paperboys and papergirls out there any more.
Old 02-18-2018, 01:54 PM

I'm still old school and enjoy reading the morning paper with coffee cup close. Some weeks our home town weekly is a hoot; especially letters to the editor and opinions from our city council and big Kahunas.
Taylor 612ce (2001)
Taylor T5-C2 Koa (2007)
Ovation CS28P KOAB - Koa Burst (2017)
Paul Reed Smith 305 - Sunburst (2012)
Paul Reed Smith Custom 22 - Autumn Sky (2013)
Fender Classic Player 60s Strat - Sonic Blue (2012)
Roland Juno DS76 (2020)
Old 02-18-2018, 02:17 PM
Charter Member

No newspapers for me either, although I often think abut getting one. I was almost irritated when my dental appointment was on time last week as I was quite enjoying reading the Daily Telegraph in his waiting room - you certainly get MORE news, but I get almost all my world and national news from the BBC as it is not politically biased. We also have TV access to news channels from other countries.

The trouble with British newspapers is that they are all politically biased in one direction or another, and I prefer to make up my own mind.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
No newspapers for me either, although I often think abut getting one. I was almost irritated when my dental appointment was on time last week as I was quite enjoying reading the Daily Telegraph in his waiting room - you certainly get MORE news, but I get almost all my world and national news from the BBC as it is not politically biased. We also have TV access to news channels from other countries.

The trouble with British newspapers is that they are all politically biased in one direction or another, and I prefer to make up my own mind.
Newspapers and TV Networks here all almost all heavily biased in one direction or another. BBC is a good source here as they at least make an attempt to be neutral.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic