The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 10-16-2017, 05:28 AM

Default Cleaning tuners on an old Yamaha

I have a bundle of old Yamaha guitars dating back to mostly late 1970's. Many of the tuners on them have a touch of rust. I wonder if there is a way to restore tuners to their original nice silver condition?
Old 10-16-2017, 02:59 PM

The short answer is it depends but not usually.... There are usually pits where the rust is. If it's only one or two very small spots - hopefully it won't be too obvious.

If it has "bubbled up" where there is active rust under the chrome - its usually a lost cause...

Replacement tuners are pretty cheap.. Why not just give it a new set of tuners?
Old 10-16-2017, 03:35 PM
Charter Member

If the corrosion is light, give some 0000 steel wool a shot.

Old 10-16-2017, 04:22 PM

Default least abrasive material?

My opinion: First, I've never tried to clean up tuners that were corroded/rusty/dull. Having said that, I have had good success in restoring appearance of metal when I use 'never dull' wadding from a can. I've gotten mine from my local hardware store. The stuff isn't abrasive and I think it's a good start and maybe it's all that's needed.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:38 PM

I think that's also a good point...

What do you have to loose? They are old cheap tuners. If you can polish them up and they look good - then you are out nothing but time and $0.25 worth of polish...

If they are ugly - pull them off and match up good full sets of tuners and put them back on.. Then - you put the sets of ugly beat up tuners worst beater guitars. The world is put back into order...

And at the end - you are probably left with an old beat up guitar or two missing a set of tuners... Either jettison it as a parts guitar or put a new set of tuners on it and off you go.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:10 PM

Default authenticity

Good point about swapping tuners, I think. Seeing as the tuners in question lived on - - - how shall we say this nicely - - - economical guitars, I think, never having done it, that ten bucks spent on a set of enclosed tuners, there's zillions of them on offer, would yield up really nice results compared to the ones that OP is thinking of cleaning up. But if authenticity is preferred, we carry on.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair