The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 06-28-2017, 07:50 PM
Charter Member

Default Installing an arm rest

Hello all,

I was looking to see if anyone has any experience using aftermarket arm rests. I wanted to possibly install one on my Taylor GC8E, but didn't want to do it without getting some opinions first. Especially with the possible damage to the finish if the risk exists.

Thanks!
Old 06-28-2017, 08:05 PM

Lots of posts to search on AGF for this topic. In short, many of us use the John Pearse Ebony arm rests. Few members have reported problems with damaged finishes. I can recall only one. I have installed and removed the same arm rests several times. In fact, the arm rest have out lasted several of my fleeting guitar romances. I have installed on Martin and Taylor without issue. Taylor finish is especially strong.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by martingitdave View Post
Lots of posts to search on AGF for this topic. In short, many of us use the John Pearse Ebony arm rests. Few members have reported problems with damaged finishes. I can recall only one. I have installed and removed the same arm rests several times. In fact, the arm rest have out lasted several of my fleeting guitar romances. I have installed on Martin and Taylor without issue. Taylor finish is especially strong.
What kind of tape do you use? Or do you buy the replacement tape distributed by John Pearce?
Old 06-28-2017, 08:47 PM

Default Installing an arm rest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidE View Post
What kind of tape do you use? Or do you buy the replacement tape distributed by John Pearce?

I use the same 3M VHB tape they use. A roll is a lot cheaper. I cut it to size. I also don't use a full line of tape. I use about 2/3 coverage.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:57 PM

Just installed the John Pearce ebony slimline on my Martin MMV and I am happy with the outcome. First, it's real easy; second, it's comfortable and third, I have noticed a better tonal response when fingerpicking.

2023 Taylor AD22e
2001 Guild F47RCE

Certified Fretting Technician - Galloup School of Luthiery 2005
Guitar Builder/Tech
Old 06-28-2017, 09:17 PM

Quote:
I use the same 3M VHB tape they use. A roll is a lot cheaper. I cut it to size. I also don't use a full line of tape. I use about 2/3 coverage.
Would you please provide a link to the specific product number of the tape you purchase.
Thanks
Old 06-28-2017, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
Would you please provide a link to the specific product number of the tape you purchase.

Thanks

Don't know the product number. And, can't remember where I got it. Probably amazon.com.
Old 06-28-2017, 09:27 PM

Identiferent, the John Pearse armrests that I use and endorse are easy to install. Looking at a picture of the Taylor GC8E, the armrest that I would probably choose for that guitar would be the Slimline model:

John Pearse Slimline Armrest

What you should do to be certain, though, is go to the Breezy Ridge/John Pearse website and print out the templates of the different armrest models to see which best match the curvature of your guitar's lower bout:

http://jpstrings.com/armrest.htm#Armrest-n

http://www.jpstrings.com/ftp/AR-scansht.pdf

Once you determine which armrest to get and it arrives, the way I prepare to install them is to first lay the armrest on the guitar top and position it where I think it looks best. Using low tack painter's masking tape, I also stick it on temporarily so I can pick up and play the guitar, in order to make certain that the armrest is in a comfortable spot for my forearm, as well as matching the curvature of the lower bout.

What I've discovered is that on larger guitars like Martin dreadnoughts and Gibson slope-shouldered dreadnoughts, even though I play right-handed the right-handed Original design armrest isn't in the best spot for me, because my right arm crosses the guitar body a bit lower than the armrest is designed for. So on those guitars I actually use a left-handed armrest.

Anyway, once I figure out where I want the armrest to go, I put strips of the painter's masking tape on the top at each end of where I've positioned the armrest. Then I remove the backing on the adhesive strip of the armrest, and quickly but accurately press it into place. Then I remove the positioning strips of masking tape, and I'm done.

As for the possibility of finish damage, on a modern Taylor guitar the possibility is remote to nonexistent. The UV-cured polyester finish that Taylor uses is one of the most durable in production use. I've installed and removed armrests multiple times on poly-UV finished guitars, and never had the slightest problem or finish damage.

John always cautioned me that his armrests were designed for modern guitar finishes in good condition, not for antique guitars with brittle, cracked or "window pane" checked finishes. There isn't any problem applying a Pearse armrest to any of those finishes, but should you ever decide to remove the armrest the adhesive strip theoretically could bring some flakes of that old finish up with it.

But a modern Taylor guitar is at no risk for this. I imagine that if you were to drop high explosives onto the guitar, or perhaps torment it with a propane torch, you might damage the finish. But aside from actual military ordinance, the finish Taylor uses is what's often called "bomb-proof." It certainly won't be damaged by sticking a John Pearse armrest onto it.

Hope this helps.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 06-29-2017, 01:46 AM

The only really serious armrest that works on all my guitars is the one developed by Andreas Abel. It is so well designed and so comfortable! Like a chin rest on a Stradivarius.

And you put it on and off in literally a couple of seconds.

Here on my Poljakoff:

My lyrics and music on Youtube
Old 06-29-2017, 05:17 AM
Charter Member

Thanks for all the advice everyone. I'll look at these and see what I order! I'm always cautious about doing anything with the Taylor, as cost me a pretty penny. Thanks again!
Old 06-29-2017, 06:02 AM
Charter Member

Wade is an expert on this so he already gave you the advice you need.

I am just confirming his suspicion that the slimline is best for you. I have a Taylor Grand Concert and that is the size that worked best and looks great installed (nicely matches the contour of the body.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 06-29-2017, 06:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazool View Post
Wade is an expert on this so he already gave you the advice you need.

I am just confirming his suspicion that the slimline is best for you. I have a Taylor Grand Concert and that is the size that worked best and looks great installed (nicely matches the contour of the body.

I actually switched to slimlines for my dreads too. I think that's a very nice shape.
Old 06-29-2017, 06:13 AM

Quote:
I actually switched to slimlines for my dreads too. I think that's a very nice shape.
Agreed - I think it's the most visually attractive of the armrest shapes. But the Original shape does give you more of a platform upon which to rest your arm, and depending on where your arm crosses, it can make a difference in comfort.

whm
Old 07-11-2017, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Great deal on the grey tape on Amazon tonight. 1/2 inch wide so I'll have to cut it but the price for the narrow stuff (only in black) was very high.
Old 07-11-2017, 10:09 PM

I don't care if 100% report no damage from gluing these things on.
What's the longest anyone could have had one of these things glued on?
And was it glued on with the exact same glue used today?

I'm super conservative when it comes to what even remotely might damage the finish of my nice guitars over the very long term.

In a century or two I'll check; if everyone has zero damage to their nitro celulose finishes I might consider gluing an armrest to my guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair