The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-21-2018, 10:23 PM

Default Bicycle Head Lamp

Greetings, I am seeking recommendations for a good bicycle head light.The purpose of the light will be night time pleasure riding and possibly an occasional commute.
All replies appreciated.
Brad
Old 01-21-2018, 11:12 PM

Coast makes a couple of great ones.

309 lumens - nice and bright:
https://m.acehardware.com/product/in...uctId=67305736
Old 01-22-2018, 08:13 AM

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B014G...t+rechargeable

I bought one of these on the recommendation of several local MTB club members. It's bright enough for late dusk to night trail riding, lasts a couple of hours on High, and is dirt cheap. I wouldn't try riding in a heavy rainstorm, though. The battery pack is not particularly well sealed.

Acoustics
2013 Guild F30 Standard
2012 Yamaha LL16
2007 Seagull S12
1991 Yairi DY 50

Electrics
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Fender Am. Standard Telecaster
Gibson ES-335
Gibson Firebird
Old 01-22-2018, 09:01 AM

I prefer using brands that I know so that I know I am getting what I paid for. I commute and find that anything under 800 Lumen is pretty much pointless and going high such as the one above can blind on coming traffic. Light in Motion and Night Rider are some of the best I have dealt with. Sticking with 1100 lumens is probably best for a road commute (it is what I use) and both companies have products in that range.

FYI, you can find them for cheaper in an off brand on Amazon, but be careful. Most of them don't pass the lumen test.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:19 AM

Default Bicycle Head Lamp

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFlake View Post
I prefer using brands that I know so that I know I am getting what I paid for. I commute and find that anything under 800 Lumen is pretty much pointless and going high such as the one above can blind on coming traffic. Light in Motion and Night Rider are some of the best I have dealt with. Sticking with 1100 lumens is probably best for a road commute (it is what I use) and both companies have products in that range.

FYI, you can find them for cheaper in an off brand on Amazon, but be careful. Most of them don't pass the lumen test.

I hear you. I have friends who build their own, modify the cheap imports, and get the cheap imports. None have had the reliable use I see from good brands.

I've had or have DiNotte, NiteRider, CygoLite, Planet Bike and Bontrager.

The NiteRider self contained units are bigger but nicely user serviceable. The Bontrager ion line have a really nice physical format that make them superb flashlights too. Their bike mounts are really nice.

The approx 800 lumen models perform, are quite affordable and have good battery life. They really help you get a pair. A pair is really important. A pair lets one blink, gives you spare or battery time, really good coverage.

Most have GoPro compatible mounts now but the Bontragers had that early and you have lots of shops that carry their mounts and accessories.

Consider a good tail light. That's REALLY important for safety. The Bontrager Flare is top rated and bundled with an ion headlight. That might be one of the best packages out there to get you the performance, quality and accessories in one package.

Last edited by imwjl; 01-22-2018 at 06:02 PM.
Old 01-22-2018, 09:37 AM

Make sure you get a bike specific light. I had one of the original Night Rider lights and I got well over 10 years use out of it. Once Night Rider started making digital lights they had a lot of problems and people only got a few years or less before they ran into issues. A few years ago I bought one of the cheap lights from China (Magic Shine - no longer in business) that has been working great for years.

Here's a good forum for further research: http://forums.mtbr.com/lights-night-riding/
Old 01-22-2018, 12:51 PM

I commute on my road bike several times a week when weather allows and used this light all last summer/fall and it worked great.
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...ight?v=NITRO00

I run it on medium power and on dark mornings it lights up my path very well. I had a 800 lumen light and don't really notice a difference with this 650 lumen lamp, it is plenty bright.

I also ride with a separate strobe headlamp and tail light, night and day so traffic can see me. Being seen is just as important as my ability to see the road.
Old 01-22-2018, 01:40 PM

Good information! Thanks all.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:16 PM

I found this combo on Nashbar and was considering the purchase.
What are y'alls opinion?
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...00000009752_-1
Old 01-25-2018, 10:58 PM

I've had a Bontrager Ion 700 rechargeable for a few years.
I also use it as a jogging/general light.

Old 01-26-2018, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyS View Post
I found this combo on Nashbar and was considering the purchase.
What are y'alls opinion?
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product...00000009752_-1

I sold that combo before (worked in a bike shop in my spare time) and it sold and works well. I'd say go for it, it will suit you well.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic