The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 01-23-2018, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouieAtienza View Post
Or watching "The Ten Commandments" and listening to Edgar G. Robinson, playing an Egyptian, but sounding like a wise-guy...
This has always cracked me up. He might as well be chomping on a cigar.
Old 01-23-2018, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by D. Shelton View Post
In The Flintstones cartoons, when they're driving their cars
the same scenery behind them repeats over and over . Maddening !
This made me LOL!
Old 01-23-2018, 08:08 AM

Back to the OP, I would submit that a lot of the acoustic music of the time was played on Martin guitars. As one who has visited the Martin factory and walked through the museum there are many relics from that age adorned for all to see.

If the filmmakers wanted to be accurate, then perhaps they approached Martin to supply an accurate replica. Given what Kurt Russell did to an actual relic during the filming of Hateful Eight I don't think that was an option. According to the tour guide in my visit to the Martin factory in October 2016 they weren't likely to be associated with many more Hollywood productions.
Old 01-23-2018, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLT View Post
Which is actually a misquote (but you knew that). The actual line is "Yonda lies da palace of my fodda da caliph," IIRC. It's from "Son of Ali Baba."

Gotta love Tony Curtis.
From the Snopes article linked below:
In these days of YouTube and other video sharing sites, one would expect to find numerous clips online documenting Tony Curtis’ delivery of this infamous line, but those who seek such confirmation invariably come away disappointed. That’s because Curtis never uttered any such words: not in The Black Shield of Falworth, nor The Prince Who Was a Thief, The Vikings, or any of his other movies.

The closest match to Curtis’ apocryphal signature phrase occurs in the 1952 film Son of Ali Baba, during which Tony Curtis (as Kashma Baba) informs Piper Laurie (as Princess Azura of Fez), “This is my father’s palace, and yonder lies the Valley of the Sun” — with an inflection markedly less than the pronounced Bronx accent of legend:
https://www.snopes.com/quotes/signature/tonycurtis.asp
Old 01-23-2018, 10:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb Hunter View Post
By mid-1960, there would have been Boeing 707, Boeing 720, Convair 880, Douglas DC-8, DeHavilland Comet and Sud Aviation Caravelle jet airliners creating contrails in addition to numerous military planes.
Oh yes, but I meant those that were flying during Spartacus days, 1st century BC...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic