The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 02-16-2018, 03:58 AM
Charter Member

Are you telling me he has a Demeter too?
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 02-16-2018, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It's been a minute since I've been in his studio (which is a shame, since we rent space in the same building), so I don't know, but it's entirely possible.
Old 02-17-2018, 05:00 PM
Charter Member

Getting this Sebatron in my rack took all morning. My rack is actually two racks stacked and held together with four bolts. The bolts were blocking the lowest space on the top rack and the top space on the bottom rack. I had to unrack a lot of gear to get the front bolts out so I could free up some space. It was either that or putting stuff lower on the rack where I'd have to bend over low every time I needed to tweak a knob or flip a switch.

But it's in and I just tested it. It's working as it should and that's always a relief when buying any used gear. Now I'm waiting on some cables from Redco. I had to borrow the cables from my Demeter to test the Sebatron. I'm a happy camper right now.

YouTube
Old 02-18-2018, 02:27 AM

How do you like that UA interface? A new interface is going to be my next major purchase.
Old 02-18-2018, 09:12 AM
Charter Member

The Apollo has worked out well for me but my circumstances may have made it a better pick for me than it would be for someone else. I had been using a Digi 003. When I decided to upgrade from that, the Apollo made sense because I was fairly well invested in UAD plugins and I knew my computer (2008 Mac Pro) was on life support and would need to be replaced in the not too distant future. I had UAD pcie cards in the Mac to power the UAD plugins but I knew that the next computer probably wouldn't have pcie slots so the Apollo made sense.

That issue aside, it's worked well for me so far. I bought the Firewire version and then when I bought my new computer I bought the Thunderbolt card for the Apollo. I also picked up a UAD Octo Satellite which you can see in the picture tucked behind the flashlight on the shelf. Between the quad in the Apollo and the Octo, I've got enough dsp for what I do. I'm pretty happy with my overall setup right now as far as gear goes.

As for sound quality, it's a step up from the 003 for sure. I don't have any experience with other interfaces so that's about all I can really say about it.

YouTube
Old 02-18-2018, 12:25 PM

Jim, congrats again on your new toy. That is one impressive rack.

I've always wanted a John Hardy, especially for acoustic instruments.

I don't even want to think about what great mics you have.
Old 02-18-2018, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeX View Post
Jim, congrats again on your new toy. That is one impressive rack.

I've always wanted a John Hardy, especially for acoustic instruments.

I don't even want to think about what great mics you have.
Thanks Duke.

The Hardy is indeed very nice on acoustic guitars but the Hendy is great also. I haven't used the Sebatron on acoustic yet but I have a good feeling about that pre.

My mic collection isn't huge but it's pretty decent. I've sold quite a few lately but my main vocal mic is my Flea 47. And for acoustic guitars, I have some choices. I have a pair of Gefell M295 small condensers that are very nice. If I want to go large condenser, I have a Blue Kiwi and I have a ribbon Woodpecker that I've been happy with. I've got a bunch of others but the ones I named are the ones I reach for more often.

YouTube

Last edited by jim1960; 02-18-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
No, I don't have a Demeter, but I have used them and love them! My brother ran a studio with their tube pre, the bass pre, and both the tremulator and compulator pedals. As for the Blue Kiwi it's a great mic and I've compared it directly with my Neumann U87, and I prefer it on certain sources with it's buttery topend, that's why I told him to jump on it! INSHO the Sebatron VMP4000e is the best bang for the buck preamp on the planet. I have some nice preamps (Manley, Langevin, Neve, Universal Audio, and I always start with the VMP4000e. I've heard the AXIS sounds a bit different than the VMP although I've heard it sounds great! But the VMP in it's simplicity sounds greats and the simple gain switch is all I've ever needed. Literally you could build an old school studio around a few VMP4000e premps.
Old 02-21-2018, 08:47 PM

Like I said.
Old 02-21-2018, 09:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockabilly69 View Post
No, I don't have a Demeter, but I have used them and love them! My brother ran a studio with their tube pre, the bass pre, and both the tremulator and compulator pedals. As for the Blue Kiwi it's a great mic and I've compared it directly with my Neumann U87, and I prefer it on certain sources with it's buttery topend, that's why I told him to jump on it! INSHO the Sebatron VMP4000e is the best bang for the buck preamp on the planet. I have some nice preamps (Manley, Langevin, Neve, Universal Audio, and I always start with the VMP4000e. I've heard the AXIS sounds a bit different than the VMP although I've heard it sounds great! But the VMP in it's simplicity sounds greats and the simple gain switch is all I've ever needed. Literally you could build an old school studio around a few VMP4000e premps.
Demeter really flies under the radar for some reason. The guy makes top notch stuff and doesn't get enough love from audio folks. Jim Demeter is also a very decent guy. I had loaned my Demeter to a friend so he could record the girl he was living with at the time. In the middle of it, they had a nasty breakup and she held my Demeter hostage for a while. I priced out a replacement when my friend said it might not come back and Jim gave me a nice discount after I told him my story. I wound up getting my pre back in the end but I was impressed by his empathy. By the way, pairing the Kiwi and the Demeter is silky and beautiful. I've heard my Kiwi go up against a Neumann U87ai and it absolutely held its own in the matchup.

I think between the Hardy, the Demeter, the Hendy, and the Sebatron, I have everything I want as far as preamps are concerned so I'm officially out of that market. The only outboard gear I'd be looking for now would be a couple of LA2A channels. I don't know if any of the clones come close enough to the real thing for me. I haven't heard them all but I also haven't been WOWed by any I have heard. Maybe it will happen, maybe not... we'll see.

YouTube
Old 02-21-2018, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwinter View Post
Like I said.
You know it's really me and I'm messing with you, right?
Naaaa.... I'm kidding.

YouTube

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD