The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 04-03-2023, 07:09 PM
Charter Member

Default Mac Studio on the way!

It's done. I just ordered a Mac Studio Ultra. 128gb of ram and a 4tb internal drive. I did not bump up the GPU cores because I'm not sure I'd ever need that. Should be ready for pickup in early May. Going to have it sent to an Apple store in Delaware and save myself $500 in sales tax. I'll probably pick up the larger wireless keyboard when I pick up the computer. I like having a number pad and my current wireless does not have one.
2015 Circle Strings Parlor shedua/western red cedar
2009 Bamburg JSB Signature Baritone macassar ebony/carpathian spruce
2004 Taylor XXX-RS indian rosewood/sitka spruce
1988 Martin D-16 mahogany/sitka spruce

along with some electrics, zouks, dulcimers, and banjos.

YouTube
Old 04-03-2023, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim1960 View Post
It's done. I just ordered a Mac Studio Ultra. 128gb of ram and a 4tb internal drive. I did not bump up the GPU cores because I'm not sure I'd ever need that. Should be ready for pickup in early May. Going to have it sent to an Apple store in Delaware and save myself $500 in sales tax. I'll probably pick up the larger wireless keyboard when I pick up the computer. I like having a number pad and my current wireless does not have one.
Wow! That ought to do it. Makes me recall that I started out with a Commodore 64, with 64K RAM, lol. It was fun, though, at the time....

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page
Old 04-03-2023, 07:52 PM
Charter Member

I've never had a computer that I could say was overpowered for my studio needs. I wanted to experience that.

YouTube
Old 04-03-2023, 08:55 PM
Charter Member

Congratulations, Jim. You’ll love that machine so much, you’ll forget you’re using it. I can’t bog down my new MacBook Pro M2.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 04-03-2023, 09:09 PM

Quote:
That.......is a whole lotta Rosie. It'll make your head spin at how comically fast it is. Congrats!
Old 04-03-2023, 10:44 PM
Charter Member

A Super Big congratulations! Love my Mac Studio Max!

What Monitor are you going to use with it? Love my ASUS that Kev suggested.
Old 04-04-2023, 06:47 AM
Charter Member

That will be a beast of a machine

As I noted in the thread by KennyB I just ran a quick test on my M1 Pro chipped MBP with only 16 GB memory and 1 TB storage

I opened Pro Tools and loaded 400 tracks took only a second or two (using the internal Mac sound card because the Carbon I/O is limited to 58 channels of simultaneous recording )

Record armed 400 tracks used the internal mic and recorded some vocal singing then had to of course lower all the faders way down to not distort.
Then went thru and loaded 400 tracks with PT bundled Eq- compressor - both took maybe 2 seconds to load all 400 then 400 D-verb which took maybe 3-4 seconds to load. hit playback and it worked fine

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4

Last edited by KevWind; 04-04-2023 at 08:11 AM.
Old 04-04-2023, 08:11 AM
Charter Member

Thanks all. I'm really looking forward to getting it up and running.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticDreams View Post
What Monitor are you going to use with it? Love my ASUS that Kev suggested.
My BenQ SW271 monitor will take over main monitoring duties. I'm going to move my midi keyboard to the left side of my L-shaped desk and I'll grab a second monitor on the cheap to use with that. It will just be for midi input and a little bit of midi editing (the main midi editing will still take place on the main monitor). I'm likely going to relocate my iMac to the desk in my living room and use it via wireless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Record armed 400 tracks used the internal mic and recorded some vocal singing then had to of course lower all the faders way down to not distort.
Then went thru and loaded 400 tracks with PT bundled Eq- compressor - both took maybe 2 seconds to load all 400 then 400 D-verb which took maybe 3-4 seconds to load. hit playback and it worked fine
The hiccups I experience most often come from using virtual instruments which sometimes tax resources and stop PT dead in its tracks. 128gb of ram should be enough to stop that from happening in the future. That's going to be a nice change.

YouTube
Old 04-04-2023, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks all. I'm really looking forward to getting it up and running.

My BenQ SW271 monitor will take over main monitoring duties. I'm going to move my midi keyboard to the left side of my L-shaped desk and I'll grab a second monitor on the cheap to use with that. It will just be for midi input and a little bit of midi editing (the main midi editing will still take place on the main monitor). I'm likely going to relocate my iMac to the desk in my living room and use it via wireless.

The hiccups I experience most often come from using virtual instruments which sometimes tax resources and stop PT dead in its tracks. 128gb of ram should be enough to stop that from happening in the future. That's going to be a nice change.
Ok I can do test with VI's and I can do it connected to Carbon or on Mac sound.. Also I can check it on my Intel machine which has 128 GB of RAM
What number of VI tracks would you normally have going that used to stop PT ?

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 04-04-2023, 08:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Ok I can do test with VI's and I can do it connected to Carbon or on Mac sound.. Also I can check it on my Intel machine which has 128 GB of RAM
What number of VI tracks would you normally have going that used to stop PT ?
I don't think it's so much the number of tracks as it is the amount of resources each VI required. I'm sure some were thirstier than others but I've never stopped to figure out which. Also, my iMac only has 32gb ram, so that didn't help. Depending on which ones, just a few VI's could eat up quite a bit of that 32gb.

YouTube
Old 04-04-2023, 09:51 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's so much the number of tracks as it is the amount of resources each VI required. I'm sure some were thirstier than others but I've never stopped to figure out which. Also, my iMac only has 32gb ram, so that didn't help. Depending on which ones, just a few VI's could eat up quite a bit of that 32gb.
Any VI that has the ability to purge makes things so much more efficient. In my old machine, I found I could double, sometimes triple VI counts with purge. It's now just a habit and continues to dramatically reduce ram usage. I'd also suggest experimenting with voice allocation as often I can reduce the number of voices without compromising sonics. I haven't gone about methodically testing the limits of the new Mac, but I know I had a project last week with 20-ish instances of Kontakt (some of those I was using Multi's), a hand full of Spitfire Colossus, and some ever-present Omnisphere's. It felt like the machine was working with utterly no effort.

I think you'll be very happy with the Studio.
Old 04-04-2023, 10:11 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Any VI that has the ability to purge makes things so much more efficient. In my old machine, I found I could double, sometimes triple VI counts with purge.
Can you expand upon that? I've not heard of any ability to purge VIs before and have no idea how to do that.

YouTube
Old 04-04-2023, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Can you expand upon that? I've not heard of any ability to purge VIs before and have no idea how to do that.
Purge is different for almost all VI's. Native Instruments Kontakt player is the most obvious with a "select purge" button on the main GUI. I've become more and more a fan of Kontakt since the available libraries are endless and CPU usage and ram is so adjustable. Omnisphere can purge ram by selecting "load lite". On some patches, it does little (if anything), but other patches are reduced dramatically. The Spitfire stuff is similar in that there is a select button on the main GUI that allows selecting and or de-select articulations and keyswitches, while just running the primary patch. The Spitfire VI's are using massive amounts of ram with some patches almost 2 gig. Purging brings several down to 500 Mb.

There are however some VI's that are not as ram intensive that don't offer a purge. It's worthwhile to look into things for your particular synths as it really can make a big difference.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:00 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Purge is different for almost all VI's. Native Instruments Kontakt player is the most obvious with a "select purge" button on the main GUI. I've become more and more a fan of Kontakt since the available libraries are endless and CPU usage and ram is so adjustable. Omnisphere can purge ram by selecting "load lite". On some patches, it does little (if anything), but other patches are reduced dramatically. The Spitfire stuff is similar in that there is a select button on the main GUI that allows selecting and or de-select articulations and keyswitches, while just running the primary patch. The Spitfire VI's are using massive amounts of ram with some patches almost 2 gig. Purging brings several down to 500 Mb.

There are however some VI's that are not as ram intensive that don't offer a purge. It's worthwhile to look into things for your particular synths as it really can make a big difference.
Cool. I have Kontakt and Omnisphere but I've never looked for ways to purge. I'll keep an eye out for it now but, hopefully, this new beast won't need me to purge.

YouTube
Old 04-04-2023, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Cool. I have Kontakt and Omnisphere but I've never looked for ways to purge. I'll keep an eye out for it now but, hopefully, this new beast won't need me to purge.
Absolutely Jim. It only takes a second. Beastly machine or not it's a great habit to get into. No downsides.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD