The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-15-2008, 05:08 PM

Default Sound hole covers??

I've never had to use a sound hole cover in the past , but due to some recent events i now need one. So the question. Will a sound hole cover mess up my acoustic tone through our PA system, i know it will unplugged, but plugged in will it go through the system as usual? I am currently using the L.R Baggs dual source system, which i feel gives me a very woody tone with just enough shimmer (with correct mic placement that is) So thanks for the help in advance.

Heavy....
Old 01-15-2008, 05:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Wood View Post
I've never had to use a sound hole cover in the past , but due to some recent events i now need one. So the question. Will a sound hole cover mess up my acoustic tone through our PA system, i know it will unplugged, but plugged in will it go through the system as usual? I am currently using the L.R Baggs dual source system, which i feel gives me a very woody tone with just enough shimmer (with correct mic placement that is) So thanks for the help in advance.
Hi HW...
You are not amplifying the actual tone of the guitar, even if you have an internal mic, so it won't mess up the tone of the guitar through the PA or amp with a sound hole cover.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-15-2008, 06:14 PM

I think should have said acoustic sound...you know like that woody sound that screams organic woody acoustic. Sorry i'm know i'm not exspressing this well, hopefully you can gather what i mean. Ive heard of people saying it made there guitar sound muted, or sound thin. Thanks again.

Heavy....
Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I think should have said acoustic sound...you know like that woody sound that screams organic woody acoustic. Sorry i'm know i'm not exspressing this well, hopefully you can gather what i mean. Ive heard of people saying it made there guitar sound muted, or sound thin. Thanks again.
Hi Hw...
Sure, it will muffle or mute some of the acoustic sound - and why does that matter if it's going to be amplified?

There are lute-hole-covers (http://www.lutehole.com) which are more air than wood over the sound hole and if you have to have acoustic sound while the cover is in/on - these are what you want (I own two).

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 01-16-2008, 03:37 PM

Thanks larry for the tips and site link. They are definetly great looking. Maybe i'll give one a shot . Thanks again.

Heavy....
Old 01-16-2008, 05:05 PM

What's the purpose to cover the sound hole? (I've been wondering) Matt Costa covered up half his hole with duct-tape once and since then, I wonder..
Old 01-16-2008, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljguitar View Post
Hi Hw...
Sure, it will muffle or mute some of the acoustic sound - and why does that matter if it's going to be amplified?

There are lute-hole-covers (http://www.lutehole.com) which are more air than wood over the sound hole and if you have to have acoustic sound while the cover is in/on - these are what you want (I own two).
Nice and tasteful - I like em more that the rubber ones. How do these mount so that they do not damage the soundhole area? Thanks.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:19 PM

Quote:
What's the purpose to cover the sound hole? (I've been wondering) Matt Costa covered up half his hole with duct-tape once and since then, I wonder..
It minimizes the chance for a feedback loop to occur between the guitar's pickup and a stage monitor. Usually a common problem with loud and/or full band situations.
Old 01-16-2008, 05:24 PM

Quote:

Heavy....
I use one of the rubber feedback busters. I don't notice any sound difference through the speakers when I use the Wavelength (UST) pickup, but I've noticed a little change in the sound when I use the K&K (SBT) ...it's a little less clear sounding. I don't have experience with a built in mic, but with the rubber ones I'd have to guess that they would alter the tone going through that mic. The lutehole covers might be a good alternative for a setup like yours.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion