The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments

Old 07-06-2015, 01:19 PM

Default Pogreba Baritone Weissenborn

My weissenborn playing received a huge boost recently when I took possession of a Larry Pogreba Baritone Weissenborn. Larry lives way off the grid in Montana and makes amazing instruments. Built using some mahagony that was blown down during a hurricane in 1999. The faceplate is burl rosewood. Fret markers are coins from Belize. It is VERY obvious that this box was made by hand. A bit rustic... BUT This axe just sings and growls. so much fun. Such great tone. Stringy, growly, angelic - and awesome through the Baggs M1A pickup. I am totally mesmerized with lap steel playing. I haven't played a Spanish style guitar in weeks.

Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 07-08-2015, 06:56 PM

well, after a write up like that - how bout a video or audio clip? Don't tell me, show me!
Old 07-08-2015, 11:54 PM

My guess is that it sounds something like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmfBCHNHL5k
Old 07-09-2015, 10:00 AM

As I am a working stiff, I will have to carve out some time to set up a microphone. I'm more of a soundcloud (vs. video) kinda guy... but I promise to do it this weekend. Also will work up some more pics to give an idea of what the baritone looks like - much deeper!
Mainland Tenor Uke
Old 07-09-2015, 11:37 AM

Mark, I'm really looking forward to hearing both the instrument and your playing. As you may recall from other threads, arthritis has us both in the same or similar water craft...

Pictures of musical instruments are like sculptures of food.
Old 07-09-2015, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by syrynx View Post
Mark, I'm really looking forward to hearing both the instrument and your playing. As you may recall from other threads, arthritis has us both in the same or similar water craft...
I hear ya! I don't have really bad finger issues... yet. Both my parents do or did. So this is both a preemptive guitar approach... AND a huge kick! These acoustic lap steels sound amazing. Singing, talking, growling... fun!

There are plenty of pretty good inexpensive 'weissenborn' style instruments (Gold Tone, Superior, Rustic Root in Canada) for just a few hundred bucks. You don't have to spend 2-3 thou for one that will service you... but those are nice.

If you want to know more about them, visit the resohangout.com - a forum for resonator fans. There is a Weissenborn Players forum. You can learn a lot about them. There is even a guy that does online lessons (Troy)

ME
Mainland Tenor Uke

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Other Musical Instruments