The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-29-2018, 09:59 PM

Default Mystery strings

New used guitar: The first thing I do is change the strings.
The set on the guitar now is something I haven't come across before and I'm curious...

The treble strings are a clear amber color.

Does anyone know what brand they might be?
Old 01-29-2018, 10:03 PM

They could be Hannabach Goldin (fluorocarbon) trebles.
Old 01-29-2018, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carey View Post
They could be Hannabach Goldin (fluorocarbon) trebles.
Could be...looking at the very few images I've found.

I really like the sound of them. At least the trebles. The wound strings sound a little mismatched, but they're worn and/or possibly from a different set. Dunno.

Pricey, aren't they?
Old 01-30-2018, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by menhir View Post
Could be...looking at the very few images I've found.

I really like the sound of them. At least the trebles. The wound strings sound a little mismatched, but they're worn and/or possibly from a different set. Dunno.

Pricey, aren't they?
Yeah, they are. I'd wanted to try the second and third at one time, but not at their price.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:18 PM

Too rich for my taste, too. Anyway, I'm not worthy.
When I take those trebles off, I think I'll have them bronzed.

Well, I think I'll start off in the middle ground and order some medium tension LaBella Red Flamenco strings. A shot in the dark, but I gotta start experimenting somewhere.

With my steel string guitars all this stuff was settled long ago. I'm feeling like a beginner again. It's sorta fun.
Old 01-30-2018, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Can you ask the seller?
Old 01-30-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pura Vida View Post
Can you ask the seller?
No. I bought the guitar used at a music dealer.

It's not a really big deal since I'm new to trying flamenco and it would be good to experiment with different options anyway. I'm pretty sure by now after some image searching that Carey called it, and there truly are Hannabach strings on there.

If they were reasonably priced and easily available I'd give them a try, but I'd want to put some serious training and experience in first before I go for something that expensive.

I'm going through the tutorials I've found on this forum, watching some YouTube lessons and considering a couple of manuals...just to keep myself moving forward in an orderly way with the new challenges.

This one perhaps...

https://www.amazon.com/Essential-Fla...ct_top?ie=UTF8

...which would likely be a better use of my money at this point than high-priced strings.

I'd like a book that doesn't assume I've never held a guitar in my hands before so half the book won't be dedicated to learning the difference between a quarter note and a whole note.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:22 PM

The Goldin wound strings are easily identified because they are golden. They are nice but quite bright, and expensive. Sounds like you could have a mixed set.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:54 AM

Years ago I played the Hannabach Goldin. They worked perfectly for my classical guitar with cedar top. Very loud and projecting strings. On my spruce top they do not work at all. These strings have high tension and you feel that during playing. I would not use the bass strings - too expensive. But you can buy only the trebles. What you also could try are the blue Savarez 500 AJ. That are carbon strings very similar to the Goldin but less expensive.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticstyle View Post
Years ago I played the Hannabach Goldin. They worked perfectly for my classical guitar with cedar top. Very loud and projecting strings. On my spruce top they do not work at all. These strings have high tension and you feel that during playing. I would not use the bass strings - too expensive. But you can buy only the trebles. What you also could try are the blue Savarez 500 AJ. That are carbon strings very similar to the Goldin but less expensive.
I don't care much for the bass strings, but I do like the trebles. I didn't realize that they could be bought separately until I did some research after I posted my original question. I've been a steel string player all these years and have been used to replacing the entire set everything I changed strings...So this is a little new to me.

My string-experimenting process should begin soon...As the set of La Bella Red Flamenco strings is due to arrive in the mail today.

Should I consider trying this...Leaving the Hannabach Goldin trebles on and replacing the bass strings with the La Bella to see if I like that mix first? As you mentioned, the Goldin strings are high tension, but the La Bella's I ordered are medium tension. Would there be any problem mixing the two?

Like I said...I'm new to this.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:43 PM

Quote:
I don't care much for the bass strings, but I do like the trebles. I didn't realize that they could be bought separately until I did some research after I posted my original question. I've been a steel string player all these years and have been used to replacing the entire set everything I changed strings...So this is a little new to me.

My string-experimenting process should begin soon...As the set of La Bella Red Flamenco strings is due to arrive in the mail today.

Should I consider trying this...Leaving the Hannabach Goldin trebles on and replacing the bass strings with the La Bella to see if I like that mix first? As you mentioned, the Goldin strings are high tension, but the La Bella's I ordered are medium tension. Would there be any problem mixing the two?

If you like the Goldin trebles, why not leave them on? I would.

FWIW, I use trebles until they either become scratchy (typically a first string
issue only), or they no longer play in tune. YMMV, of course.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:11 PM

Default Mystery Strings

What guitar did you get and what are the woods it’s made of? What characteristics are you searching for in strings? Are you primarily concerned with Flamenco, or will you be using this guitar for classical as well?
Old 02-03-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMCountryBoy View Post
What guitar did you get and what are the woods it’s made of? What characteristics are you searching for in strings? Are you primarily concerned with Flamenco, or will you be using this guitar for classical as well?
Rodriguez FF Flamenco, cyprus with a spruce top.

Characteristics? That's an open question for me right now. I'd like to get a few miles under my belt and experiment a bit. I previously mentioned how I thought the bass strings didn't seem to mesh well with the sound of the trebles. Even after a short week of playing they sound somewhat more balanced which leads me to believe that my own technique may have something to do with it. I'd like to find out.

Classical or Flamenco? Both. Why limit myself? I'm pursuing the Flamenco end of it right now since it's a musical form that's always intrigued me, but I'm also running through a book of classical guitar pieces to build up some familiarity with the instrument...Not to mention that my note reading skills have atrophied a bit and could use a little polishing, too.

I was actually in the process of searching for a classical guitar when I came across the Flamenco...A used guitar sitting in the corner all by it's lonesome, but I liked it better than the new classical guitars hanging on the wall...Enough to buy it the same day, and I'm decidedly not an impulse buyer.

I guess it was just meant to be.

Last edited by menhir; 02-03-2018 at 11:53 PM.
Old 02-04-2018, 07:02 PM

Default Mystery strings

Try the Ramirez medium tension with carbon G. I’ve used these on bot cypress and rosewood guitars with both cedar and spruce tops, and they always sound good. Good strings.

You may also want to try LaBella 2001 Flamenco strings . The black trebles are piercing, and jangly. Get the Hard Tension set, they actually have less tension than the Ramirez mediums.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:39 AM

Quote:

Yes, you can try that. Its no problem in mixing different tensions as long as you change either the whole trebles or the whole bass section. If you have a double top guitar you should be careful with strings that have very hard tension.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical