The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 01-20-2018, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkstott View Post
The Fusion and GK series are great guitars, but they don't have the "true classical style" sound. They might have a bit of Flamenco sound to them.

The Fusions are nice guitars too & have a lot of fans. But I didn't like the narrower 1.75" width at the nut necks with nylon strings.

Dave
As a mainly-steel string player, I liked the Fusion series, but they are fairly "polite", not how I would think of a flamenco guitar. The nut width is 1 7/8"/1.88", and the neck profile is C-shaped, more like a steel string than a typical classical.
Old 01-21-2018, 03:12 AM

I tried a Fusion 12. To me it lacked tone and projection vs the GK.
Old 01-21-2018, 07:35 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yanto View Post
I tried a Fusion 12. To me it lacked tone and projection vs the GK.
I offer my experience in case it is of help. I own a Cordoba C9 Crossover with 59mm string spacing at the bridge and 39/40mm at the nut (48mm nut width). I also own a Cordoba C9, which has the same spacing at the bridge, but 42mm at the nut (52mm nut width). This specifications are standard for classical guitar. For proper classical technique, I find the C9, with its extra spacing at the nut, much more comfortable on the left hand. Also, I am much less prone to inadvertently dampening or buzzing on neighboring strings when playing certain passages. I tell you this because I assumed that coming from playing steel strings for a long time meant that the tighter spacing of the Crossover would be best for me, but I was wrong. The GK has slightly wider string spacing at the nut than the Crossover, but I am not sure that many classical players would find it adequate. One last thing - many on AGF talk about nut width when, in my estimate, the issue is string spacing at the nut. You play the strings, not the nut, and nut slots can and are cut in different ways on the same sized nuts.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-21-2018, 08:37 AM

Many thanks for the reply and the information. Very useful. I am currently beginning to learn classical techniques. But I'm intending using the GK for other genres too. As you rightly say it may not suit those who play only classical. And I also may I time decide to purchase another model for my classical playing. Ian
Old 01-21-2018, 09:51 AM
Guest 2143

Quote:
Many thanks for the reply and the information. Very useful. I am currently beginning to learn classical techniques. But I'm intending using the GK for other genres too. As you rightly say it may not suit those who play only classical. And I also may I time decide to purchase another model for my classical playing. Ian
And maybe it will work for you for classical...
Old 01-21-2018, 10:35 AM

That would save money and keep the wife happy too!
Old 01-21-2018, 05:13 PM

Default C9 - Parlor

Can anyone share experience with regard to the C9 - Parlor?

This is the 24.8 scale.
Old 01-22-2018, 02:05 AM

Mike. Hi sorry I can't help you re the C9. I noticed that you have a GK Studio. I just bought the GK Studio Limited Edition. How long have you had yours and what is your opinion please? Thanks. Ian
Old 01-22-2018, 08:16 AM

FWIW.... My 1st Cordoba was a GK Studio with the cypress sides and back... Loved the light weight and feel. It was a dream to play.

My only reason for selling it was to purchase a GK Pro Negra with rosewood sides and back. I wanted a bit more warmth in the acoustic sound than the Cypress wood provided.

Dave
2011 Godin Jazz model archtop
Old 01-23-2018, 07:46 PM

Default Hi Ian

Quote:
Mike. Hi sorry I can't help you re the C9. I noticed that you have a GK Studio. I just bought the GK Studio Limited Edition. How long have you had yours and what is your opinion please? Thanks. Ian
Hi Ian,
I bought mine used at a GC. I just picked it up and immediately felt the action was unusually low, which I really liked. With the slim neck profile, it was extremely playable. I think Cordoba is giving a good value for your dollar.

As I read a little more about the flamenco guitar, I learned that they set the neck angle to allow for the very low action.

The reason I am curious about the C9-Parlor is it has a 24.8 scale, which I think might be a little easier to play. I am concerned that since it is a classical; however, that perhaps they are not made to have the same very low action. I never see them in any stores.

How do you like your GK-limited? Is that the Ziracote back and sides?
Old 01-23-2018, 09:08 PM

I just fooolishly sold an amazing cordoba c10. lot of guitar for the money - especially if you can catch a 15% off coupon at a big box store.
Old 01-23-2018, 09:25 PM
Charter Member

For MikeB1 I have the C10 Parlor, and I love it. I wasn't sure I wanted another guitar with a flat fretboard, but I did want one very nice smaller classical, and specifically cedar over rosewood.

I did have to adjust the neck relief and shave the saddle to get the action where I wanted it, it's about 3.5mm at the 12th on the bass side, 3mm on the treble. I was previously focusing on my steel strings and am used to a radius and 1.75 inch nut width, but really like the feel and shape of the neck and the smaller body. I also like the shorter scale and understated elegance.
Old 01-23-2018, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1 View Post
Hi Ian,
I bought mine used at a GC. I just picked it up and immediately felt the action was unusually low, which I really liked. With the slim neck profile, it was extremely playable. I think Cordoba is giving a good value for your dollar.

As I read a little more about the flamenco guitar, I learned that they set the neck angle to allow for the very low action.

The reason I am curious about the C9-Parlor is it has a 24.8 scale, which I think might be a little easier to play. I am concerned that since it is a classical; however, that perhaps they are not made to have the same very low action. I never see them in any stores.

How do you like your GK-limited? Is that the Ziracote back and sides?
Hi Mike. Thanks for the reply and the information. Yes my GK Studio Limited Edition is the one with Ziricote back and sides. Very comfortable to play to be honest. Nice tone and clarity too. I'm intending using it for different genres. Nice lowish action too
Ian
Old 01-24-2018, 01:13 PM

Default Decisions...

Quote:
Hi Mike. Thanks for the reply and the information. Yes my GK Studio Limited Edition is the one with Ziricote back and sides. Very comfortable to play to be honest. Nice tone and clarity too. I'm intending using it for different genres. Nice lowish action too
Ian
HI Ian,
My GK Studio has the Cypress b/s and I was wondering how the tone might differ with the Zirocote. I never got to play one, then I saw the parlor with the 630mm scale, which may be better for me. Enjoy your guitar!!!

[QUOTE=TKT;5613232]For MikeB1 I have the C10 Parlor, and I love it. I wasn't sure I wanted another guitar with a flat fretboard, but I did want one very nice smaller classical, and specifically cedar over rosewood.

Thanks so much TKT! I didn't realize they had a C10-Parlor. I just looked at the specs and this may be more to my taste. As I see it, the difference is that the C9 is Cedar and Mahogany b/s, whereas the C10 has rosewood b/s.

Also, the C10 has an ebony fretboard whereas the C9 has rosewood.

Thanks for the information.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:43 PM
Guest 2143

The C9 comes with a spruce or cedar top, as does the C10. You might already know this, but I was not sure after reading the last post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical