The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 11-26-2010, 01:02 PM

Default Thomas Prisloe Classical

About 6 weeks ago, The FedEx guy came to my door with a long awaited custom made to my specs, Thomas Prisloe classical guitar. At this point, I know of only one other member of AGF who owns and plays a Prisloe Classical. Are there any more of you out there? I have to tell you that his instrument is just flat out unbelievable. I am retired and have lots of time, everyday to play. This guitar is opening up to be a thrilling and rewarding experience every time I pick it up. I am not a concert level classical guitarist, but I do know, from the MANY other hand made guitars that I have owned, what a quality instrument is. Thomas Prisloe builds an absolutley top notch concert level classical with the finest materials. (EIR with Englemann) I probably sound like a commercial, but oooooh baby I love this guitar.
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop
Ibanez AF200 Archtop (Japanese Made)
John Webb Hand carved 17 inch Archtop Astoria Model

Author: "How to Play Guitar In One Easy Lesson...
If the Lesson Lasts Fifty Years"[/I]

Last edited by grantgsc; 11-26-2010 at 01:58 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grantgsc View Post
About 6 weeks ago, The FedEx guy came to my door with a long awaited custom made to my specs, Thomas Prisloe classical guitar.
And why should I believe you until you show us some pics?

Congratulations for your new acquisition , if at all it is true!

aG
Old 11-26-2010, 01:32 PM
AGF Sponsor

He's also the man you can thank for turning the acoustic guitar world onto Englemann spruce:

http://classicalguitarbuilder.com/newpages/guitars.html

HE
Old 11-26-2010, 01:55 PM

Default Thomas Prisloe, Santa Fe Spruce Co.

I failed to mention the Santa Fe Spruce Co. which Tom founded. Howard, you are correct about the introduction Englemann Spruce to luthiers. It's a rather comforting thing when the guy building your classical with an Engelmann top, has in his possesion the best quality wood on the planet. One other thing I failed to mention. Tom is a very nice guy to work with. He was so patient with me and all my dopey questions. It was a fun process and I ended up with one heck of a beautiful instrument. I grew up playing classical and took about a 30 year hiatus into the steel string and electric worlds. It has been a joy to get my butt kicked by the classical composers. I have been a note reader since I was little and it has been good to seriously get back to it. I promise I will post some pictures.
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop

Old 11-26-2010, 02:04 PM
AGF Sponsor

Quote:
I failed to mention the Santa Fe Spruce Co. which Tom founded. Howard, you are correct about the introduction Englemann Spruce to luthiers. It's a rather comforting thing when the guy building your classical with an Engelmann top, has in his possesion the best quality wood on the planet. One other thing I failed to mention. Tom is a very nice guy to work with. He was so patient with me and all my dopey questions. It was a fun process and I ended up with one heck of a beautiful instrument. I grew up playing classical and took about a 30 year hiatus into the steel string and electric worlds. It has been a joy to get my butt kicked by the classical composers. I have been a note reader since I was little and it has been good to seriously get back to it. I promise I will post some pictures.
Hi Grant,
His work looks beautiful and I'd love to see pictures of your instrument!

By the way: There's no such thing as a dopey question when it's your money!

Best regards,
Howard
Old 11-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Musical minimalist

If I'm remembering correctly he posts a lot on the Acoustic Guitar Magazine forum.....

Love to hear a recording and see some pics...

Old 11-26-2010, 08:17 PM

Default During the build...

[IMG][/IMG] This is the rosette and the red line in the binding I ordered. Not finished yet.
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop

Old 11-26-2010, 08:23 PM

Default More during the build

[IMG][/IMG] top bracing during the build
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop

Last edited by grantgsc; 11-26-2010 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:27 PM

Default Body bracing

[IMG]http:/[/IMG]
Ayers O-07CX
Guild Starfire IV
Godin 5th Avenue Archtop

Old 11-27-2010, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fitness1 View Post
If I'm remembering correctly he posts a lot on the Acoustic Guitar Magazine forum.....

Love to hear a recording and see some pics...
I don't remember seeing any of Tom's posts there. And he doesn't advertise, so not many know of him, I think, except maybe though his imported line of classicals called Pavan.

I own a Prisloe, built in 1996, and I've had it since then. It's great sounding and inspiring to play.
Old 11-27-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
I'm looking forward to hearing it Glen. You know, you were the first non-pro player that I met who could play and read like a pro, back in 1972, wasn't it? I used to marvel at you spreading out a classical piece and sight reading through it, not up to tempo, but close. Your classical at that time, a Taurus, was the best sounding classical that I had heard. I remember that you had sanded the top to try to improve the tone. I thought is was grand!

Enjoy the Prisloe my friend.

Dave
Old 11-28-2010, 04:10 AM
Musical minimalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
I don't remember seeing any of Tom's posts there. And he doesn't advertise, so not many know of him, I think, except maybe though his imported line of classicals called Pavan.

I own a Prisloe, built in 1996, and I've had it since then. It's great sounding and inspiring to play.
I'm getting a chuckle out of this one....I had a Pavan a short time ago and we emailed back and forth a bit.

I was confused with Tom Blackshear, another classical builder from Texas.

So many builders, so few brain cells....

Old 02-13-2018, 07:20 AM

Default Thomas Prisloe guitars, Pavan guitars and "in between".

Hello to you all, Yeah, I know, a lot later that the last posting but do not forget: a lot of people are searching for information and experiences concerning Thomas Prisloe. I didn't know his name at all but happened to find a rather strange model
from his hand on an auction. I tried it and I must say, I was lost! This is truly a
wonderful instrument: never harsh, great balance, lovely playability, lots of volume and a beautiful rounded voice. However, is my guitar a Pavan or a Thomas Prisloe? I bought this guitar being a Pavan guitar with a soundboard built by Thomas Prisloe himself. Why should Prisloe make this combination? The answer is simple: He had some Pavan guitars sended to New York but some of them arrived damaged so what to do with them? In fact repairing them what
ment that he had to construct a new soundboard which ment that the fingerboard had to be removed as well. The only thing a repairer can do is to saw through the 12th fret if he wants to remove only a part of the fingerboard.
Then top quality wood in the hands of an experienced builder results in a great
instrument. I owe a lot of first class concert instruments among others Jose Ramirez 1A, Manuel Contreras, Antonio Dura Ferrer and of course a Juan Orozco guitar for which brand I started my Blog about these remarable guitars.
Want to see some playing on these guitars? Just check Noud Koevoets on youtube.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical