The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical

Old 05-28-2010, 09:48 PM

Default Any Godin Multiac Nylon fans out there?

I was in GC yesterday afternoon and tried one of the above guitars that they had in. I used to own an ACS-SA but this felt like a different beast altogether. This Multiac actually sounded pretty good unplugged; in fact, I didn't even plug it in! It also felt substantial, too - it has quite a big thick body, which is more suited to us acoustic players.

Anyone have one of these? I'm giving them some serious thought right now.
Old 05-29-2010, 06:45 AM

Before I bought my Applegate I looked at one. There were things I really liked about it. It played well and with a midi it would have been versatile and a lot of fun. In the end I decided I just wanted a really nice nylon guitar. If I were to get a 2nd nylon string, I would very strongly consider the Godin.

Jack

1975 Mossman Great
1995 Taylor LKSM-12
2008 Taylor Fall Ltd GC
2008 Applegate C Nylon Crossover
Fender Stratocaster - Eric Johnson Model
Nyberg Cittern
2011 Eastman AC508M
2012 Epiphone ES339
Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 AM

Default I have a Godin...

...and run it though a Roland synthesizer to a Fender Acoustasonic. The guitar itself plays like an electric...very easy to fret and play scales and leads. The piezo sounds great through a Dtar Mama Bear, a little quacky straight to the amp. The midi and synth is where the instrument really opens new sonic doors. You can split out the analog and Midi signals so that you are providing your own back up. Think something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPL3O7NmgpI

I have not gigged with it, but it is great fun in the studio.
Old 05-29-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLenmark View Post
...and run it though a Roland synthesizer to a Fender Acoustasonic. The guitar itself plays like an electric...very easy to fret and play scales and leads. The piezo sounds great through a Dtar Mama Bear, a little quacky straight to the amp. The midi and synth is where the instrument really opens new sonic doors. You can split out the analog and Midi signals so that you are providing your own back up. Think something like this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xPL3O7NmgpI

I have not gigged with it, but it is great fun in the studio.
How do you find the scale length? It's a bit longer than standard, isn't it?

Thanks for the clip. Not sure I'm too impressed with that version to be quite honest, though!
Old 05-29-2010, 03:55 PM

I have the Duet version with the LR Baggs built in. Great stage nylon and it's fun to just play around the house. Mine has the full 2" classical nut and I really like that. Only downside is you really do have to plug it in if you're going to play out so one day I might have to sell it to buy a more traditional classical. Until then it's a great little hybrid guitar.
Old 05-29-2010, 10:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreboredo View Post
I have the Duet version with the LR Baggs built in. Great stage nylon and it's fun to just play around the house. Mine has the full 2" classical nut and I really like that. Only downside is you really do have to plug it in if you're going to play out so one day I might have to sell it to buy a more traditional classical. Until then it's a great little hybrid guitar.
I really like the look of the Duet - I love the 12 frrets to the body - but the 2" nut width puts me off. If only they did that version with a 1 7/8"!
Old 05-29-2010, 11:39 PM

The midi stuff, is amazing. Guitar make almost sitar noise.
Old 05-29-2010, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
The midi stuff, is amazing. Guitar make almost sitar noise.
Good to know you are open to things beyond Torres, Ramirez, and not owning anything beyond what might seem to be accepted in today's world.
Old 05-30-2010, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Hilyard View Post
Good to know you are open to things beyond Torres, Ramirez, and not owning anything beyond what might seem to be accepted in today's world.
What does the second half of your sentence mean, David?
Old 05-30-2010, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewalling View Post
What does the second half of your sentence mean, David?
I have no idea.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hreboredo View Post
I have one as well. I'd like a 1-7/8" nut width version if they made that! But I've adapted to the 2" nut width as that is the only sized nylons I've ever played.

One day, perhaps I'd consider a Taylor... but until then, this guitar is fine for playing plugged in. It sounds good unplugged too, but it's too soft in volume really. Best plugged in.
Old 05-30-2010, 12:14 PM

Here are the specs for my Godin:

16" fingerboard radius
25 1/2" Scale
1 7/8" nut width

As far as my feelings about the scale length, it doesn't feel like my more traditional classical, which if fine by me. It feels more like a strat with a wider neck, and I suppose I play it as such. So it in that sense, it is more like a crossover of sorts...the feel of nylon strings under your fretting hand with the scale to allow access to the upper register.

Add to the the pedal work to play (for example) an Am string backing, hold it with a pedal, and then bring in your nylon guitar sound to play over the top of it...now that is multitasking!

Aesthetically, I was never crazy about the controls in the upper bout. But after a while, the functionality that the mixed Midi and analog signals offer outweighs my desire for a more elegant design. I mean, a pair of channel locks will never win a a beauty pageant, but if you need to remove a seized or rounded off bolt, which tool do you reach for? Form follows function.

Last edited by BLenmark; 09-25-2010 at 10:11 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-30-2010, 02:31 PM

Has, anybody tried the model with no frets? This guitar is great. Now there is no need for a keyboard player.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:40 AM

I have the ACS-SA nylon and the Multiac Spectrum (Steel string) SA, and both are incredible. If a do-over was possible, I would go with the premium nylon multiac as it sounds better than my ACS-SA. I have been plugging in lately through the Aura Spectrum box and it helps both guitars sound more like full acoustics.

JackL
Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robot View Post
Has, anybody tried the model with no frets? .
I had a glissentar. Cool idea.
Ultimately your stuck with the piezo sound of it though.
But I dug it enough to have one of my cheaper classicals turned into a fretless. Sounds great recorded and I have found some interesting uses for it.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Classical