The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 07-07-2015, 11:23 AM
Guest 720

Default Rainsong ordered ;)

Ordered by Rainsong, thanks Ted for all your help!!!
Getting the OM concert with short scale neck, or a Shorty with the abalone and shark inlays

Selling my 2007 Taylor GS8 to make room for it if anyone is interested. I can't list it here for whatever reason, but have it on craigslist!

Last edited by Guest 720; 08-02-2015 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 12:08 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerhead View Post
Ordered by Rainsong, thanks Ted for all your help!!!
Getting the OM concert with short scale neck.

Selling my 2007 Taylor GS8 to make room for it if anyone is interested. I can't list it here for whatever reason, but have it on craigslist!
Congrats!

I believe you have to be a charter member to post in the classifieds. Likely not as effective, but you can add your sale to your signature in a way that stands-out.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:59 PM

Congrats on the new RS order, they are the absolute best of the best.
Old 07-08-2015, 06:12 AM

Congrats; you'll love the Rainsong.
Old 07-14-2015, 11:45 AM
Guest 720

ok, one week of waiting has passed, five to go
can you tell I'm a bit eager? LOL
Old 07-14-2015, 02:11 PM

Welcome to CF
I play: Acoustic blues & folk
Videos: https://www.youtube.com/user/sirwhale28/videos
Old 08-02-2015, 11:53 AM
Guest 720

Ok, four weeks of waiting....sure wishing it were here!!! LOL

Ted says they are running 8 weeks now
Old 08-02-2015, 01:36 PM

Hang in there dude! I know exactly how you feel- needed to wait 8 weeks for my Shorty. I've never anticipated a guitar so much. I've had mine for nearly a year now.

Did you actually play one of these before or are you ordering sight and sound unseen? Either way you are in for a blast of a guitar. The OM body is the best of all worlds even if it lacks the loudness of the bigger bodied RainSongs; I love the short scale, the NS neck, the bright but sweet and warm tone, and the immediate response. I'm finding that I really need to hone my skills as a fingerstyle player compared to my wood guitar- the guitar is just as dynamic a player as you are. Playing soft passages require a very light touch! Strumming is rich and lush even though the note separation is distinctive. These sound just as amazing as any high end wood guitar I've played, even if it is "carbon" tone.

I'm a bit jealous of you because I really like the abalone rosette but didn't want the sharks (a bit picky I know), but was told that I could not have that combination of options unless I was willing to pay out the wazoo (already felt like I was ). Having said that, I like the hybrid b/s of the Shorty over the Concert OM- otherwise I could have gone your route of combing the Concert OM with an NS neck. I did opt for an upgrade on tuners to Gotoh 510s and opted out on the stock electronics. Even without the rosette, I couldn't be happier and played it a bit this morning. You are going to love your guitar.
Old 08-02-2015, 04:37 PM
Guest 720

I have played several CO's and a WS's, and loved them all. I think too many players are hearing CF with their eyes. Run some blind listening tests with a variety of guitars and I bet many CF's hold their own or surpass many wood guitars.
I went through the same things with my T5, with everyone arguing how it doesn't sound like a strat, or a tele, or a acoustic (which again, I think it can beautifully) or whatever. No, it sounds like a T5 and it is capable of many great tones you can dial in and is incredibly versatile.

Never played a shorty but I wanted the short scale as I have come to love them in so many that I have played on wood guitars. The reviews I see repeatedly from folks and their shortys convinced me. I do love the look of the abalone and the sharks, so wanted that on the shorty. Working with Ted, who was extremely helpful, I chose the combination I did.

The wait is driving me nuts though! With any luck Ted is wrong and it's shipping next week LOL!
Old 08-02-2015, 05:44 PM

Cool Hammerhead! I do recommend that you run the guitar through it's paces with a variety of strings. I'm finding that on the 4th set since I got my guitar, the strings are making a substantial difference in tone and feel- even more so than switching saddle material. I've begun recording all new strings I've tried in a very controlled environment and with very controlled methods. Moondoggie BedYam has also done some great videos in string comparisons on the Shorty. So far I've tried:

1) the mystery D'addarios that the guitar shipped with (Michael at MacNichols must have swapped them from the stock Elixir based upon my interview with him about my preferences) were coated and were pretty good strings. Too new of a guitar to me to make any long lasting conclusions on how good these strings really were.

2) Red Copper brand strings- came off the day after they went on. Horrible on the Shorty in tone and in feel. They were tense and shrill to put it mildly. Glad I got them on a promo and did not pay for them.

3) GHS Vintage Bronze- better than the Reds but not as good as the D'Addarios the guitar shipped with. Sounded better with age but didn't quite do it for me. Also got these on a promo. No money spent is always muy bueno.

4) D'Addario Flat Tops- uncoated and sounded super bright when I first put them on. They settled quickly and are sounding much better but still don't think I've found the "perfect" match. I will probably eat through these quickly since they are uncoated.

I have a stack of strings to still try; John Pearse PB lights, D'Addario EXP NY Steel PB lights, Martin Retro Monel lights, Martin SP 80/20 Lifespans lights, and Elixir 80/20 Polys med-lights. I have heard from several different forum members (including some at MacNichol forum) that the Elixir 80/20 polys and the Retros are amazing strings.

Based on mass approval, the overall consensus is that 80/20 and nickel strings work better on RainSongs than PB- but this is is one area that is best chalked up to personal preferences. So far the PB on mine are sounding okay- but I've yet to try the other varieties.

Post pics!!
Old 08-02-2015, 10:17 PM
Charter Member

With a forum name of "Hammerhead," you pretty much HAVE TO go with the shark fret markers!
Old 08-03-2015, 07:48 AM
Charter Member

Congratulations and you're gonna love your new RainSong!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 08-03-2015, 10:53 AM

I hope it brings you the same energy and enjoyment that mine still gives me after 2 years.
2012 RainSong H DR 1000(original owner)
2011 Gretsch Anniversary Model(original owner)
Mandolin- 1920's A-Style (unknown brand)
Mandolin- Fender Mandostrat
Banjo -2016 Gold Tone EBM-5+
Fender 2013- Strat
Old 08-03-2015, 11:23 AM
Guest 720

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
With a forum name of "Hammerhead," you pretty much HAVE TO go with the shark fret markers!
LOL! No doubt!
Living in Florida and loving the beach and ocean don't hurt either
Old 08-03-2015, 11:28 AM
Guest 720

I will be sure to post pics when I get it. And 80/20's do seem to be the string of choice.

They come with PB right?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber