The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-03-2015, 09:01 AM

I was always led to believe that smaller, wider nut guitars are more for finger picking and dreads for flat picking.

Good job I didn't believe then..

All my collection, which includes three dreads are used for finger picking, and other than a style of thumb pick and hammering the strings with my ring finger, that's all I do.

Presumably, someone will tell me my style is {insert some American guitarist from yesterday} style, but whatever it is or isn't, I m as happy doing it on a dread as I am on an OM, OO etc etc..
Old 08-03-2015, 09:07 AM
Charter Member

A dread is fine for fingerstyle as evidenced by all the people that play fingerstyle on dreads (including myself for many years). That said a smaller guitar, if made well (certain ones style themselves as "fingerstyle" guitars - perhaps due to lightness of build, string spacing, ect) will have a better balance bass to treble, a quicker response time, and for many people will simply be more physically comfortable to play (especially when sitting, which is what most fingerstyle players do most of the time).

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-03-2015, 09:25 AM

In my limited experience, I find my 000 to be more comfortable to play than my dreads but by no means better for finger picking. In fact, my Gibson really shines with it's fullness and shorter scale and always puts a finger picking smile on my face.

I think the "dreads are less suitable for finger picking" idea comes from small guitars being generally less suitable for big ensemble (Bluegrass jams) strumming, thereby inferring that if big guitars are better for that, then small guitars must be better for finger picking.

All-in-all, I think that if the string spacing is good, a dread probably is more versatile. After all, I can play a dread quietly or delicately but it's hard to make an un-amplified small body boom if it's set-up for finger picking.

I sure like the comfort and intimacy of my smaller bodied guitar, though!
Old 08-03-2015, 09:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
A dread is fine for fingerstyle as evidenced by all the people that play fingerstyle on dreads (including myself for many years). That said a smaller guitar, if made well (certain ones style themselves as "fingerstyle" guitars - perhaps due to lightness of build, string spacing, ect) will have a better balance bass to treble, a quicker response time, and for many people will simply be more physically comfortable to play (especially when sitting, which is what most fingerstyle players do most of the time).
Yep, 100% agree. For me the small body gives a different flavor of tone and responsiveness. Comfort and intimacy moods point to a small body where my shoulder is more at rest and I can lay back on the couch and just go into a quiet "zone". The light gauge strings also make them easier to play. When I wish to play softly and lightly in the pitch darkness, I play my small body guitars, finger style. But there is nothing I do on a small body that I cannot do on a dread. I even try stuff on my 12 string that is very non-traditional and against the mainstream...no boundaries when you have a good set up.
Old 08-03-2015, 07:16 PM

I won't say you can't fingerpick a D, as I did for quite a few years with a D28.

That said, nothing I have played touches my Martin 00 for fingerpicking. It's just far more balanced for that style.

I have been exploring another Martin D or OM for strumming, as the 00 isn't quite in its wheelhouse there. Been looking at D35s and OM28 and OM35.

Martin Custom Authentic 000-28 1937

Martin 1944 00-18
Old 08-04-2015, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick-slo View Post
Well said! Any guitar can be played any style IMO...but again I say there are certainly benefits to playing a smaller guitar for fingerstyle, no one can deny that. However there are auditoriums, small jumbos and symphony's which have resonant dimensions close to dreads, but with smaller waists for comfort. They will have a quicker response available with a lighter touch/bare fingered. Some here forget that also "some" types of music require the balanced tone and immediacy of a smaller body, like ragtime, old timey, early authentic blues, etc...I do see more and more people these days gigging with parlor sized guitars with the advent of well built electronics and modeling. By the way there are many, many strictly strummer's who use non-dreads/jumbo's as well these days. Bottom line, play what you like, how you like...it will be OK!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/bartst...posted-public/

Last edited by nobodeuno; 08-04-2015 at 12:20 AM.
Old 08-04-2015, 05:51 AM

I recorded my acoustic guitar Christmas album using my Dell'Arte dreadnaught. All but one song were fingerpicked. Here's one of them...

Old 08-04-2015, 07:08 AM

I've always played low to mid-range dreads for fingerpicking.

However, on the more mellow instruments I do notice a fall-off in treble, bite, and perceived volume - a sort of muddying.

The grand auditoriums and OM-type guitars are probably better jacks of all trades, and as I do less heavy strumming these days might be my next buy, but I still like a dread if it's brightly voiced and can work with 11s.
Old 08-04-2015, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 815C View Post
I recorded my acoustic guitar Christmas album using my Dell'Arte dreadnaught. All but one song were fingerpicked. Here's one of them...

Very pretty...Dell'Arte makes superb dreads...some of my gypsy jazz friends play the Selmer-Macaferri designed models (One Leg Up). IMO I do notice a lack of some midrange sparkle, may be the mix though. The dread is actually pretty closely matched to the cello tone wise. It works well in this ensemble. Nice work!

Last edited by nobodeuno; 08-04-2015 at 07:27 AM. Reason: Bad English :-)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion