The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 08-22-2014, 03:07 PM

I feel your pain. I just gave up a guitar I loved for its sound and quality in July because I just couldn't work with the neck profile. Funny enough, it was also 1 3/4" nut, where I didn't have troubles with my 1 11/16" nut. But, I also have a 2" nut classical that I'm fine with. I don't know what it was.. but I just could not work with this particular guitar. I tried for almost 3 years to "change my technique", to no avail. I loved everything about that guitar except that I couldn't play it, lol.

Traded it in for a different guitar, I'm happy now.

"Those who wish to appear wise among fools, among the wise seem foolish."
Quintilian
Old 08-22-2014, 03:11 PM

I had a new guitar arrive this week. It is different than my others but not radically so. My usual MO is to exclusively play a new one for a couple weeks after it arrives. My hands figure out what to do with it and subconsciously adapt in the future.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:19 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Yeah, I've had this one for almost three months... realized in the past couple of days that when I play it I don't play it for long and when I do I start twitching and fumbling and shuffling around while trying to play because my thumb increasingly gets sore.

I haven't given up on it yet but I definitely gave up on the Seagull... strung an old jumbo Washburn up as a Nashville guitar and using that for 12 string tones when I need it.
Old 08-22-2014, 03:22 PM

Location: A small island off the coast of a bigger island off the coast of a giant continent

Quote:
Originally Posted by HHP View Post
I had a new guitar arrive this week. It is different than my others but not radically so.
Even before I had this issue I was growing interested in neck profiles... to the extent that I was going to buy a plastic profile gauge and map some of mine out just to explore them further. (Partially because I've become more interested in the dimensions of guitars through the process of commissioning one).
Old 08-22-2014, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Yeah, I've had this one for almost three months... realized in the past couple of days that when I play it I don't play it for long and when I do I start twitching and fumbling and shuffling around while trying to play because my thumb increasingly gets sore.

I haven't given up on it yet but I definitely gave up on the Seagull... strung an old jumbo Washburn up as a Nashville guitar and using that for 12 string tones when I need it.
If it's not working out, maybe you should sell it.

What puzzles me is, did you try this git before purchasing? I'm just wondering why you would purchase a guitar with the same neck profile as the Seagull if it hurts your thumb?
Old 08-22-2014, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fongie View Post
What puzzles me is, did you try this git before purchasing? I'm just wondering why you would purchase a guitar with the same neck profile as the Seagull if it hurts your thumb?
Yes. Of course I tried it. But I don't sit in shops playing for a couple of hours or more.

I didn't think it had the same neck profile as my Seagull... until my thumb started to hurt in a similar way and realized that there were similarities (although the Seagull, being a 12 string, is bigger).
Old 08-22-2014, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationAngel View Post
Yes. Of course I tried it. But I don't sit in shops playing for a couple of hours or more.

I didn't think it had the same neck profile as my Seagull... until my thumb started to hurt in a similar way and realized that there were similarities (although the Seagull, being a 12 string, is bigger).
Yes, your right. We don't get to AB a guitar long enough sometimes.

Okay, maybe a low profile, which I find is very comfortable. I have a 00-18V, OM-18V and a OM-28V. I find that the older model V models have a very pronounce V (sharp), but these guys I have, are very comfortable.

Honestly, I still think it's your fretting style. Maybe before selling the 000-15SM,try tweaking your style a little. If that don't work, sell it and try something else. Good luck mate
Old 08-23-2014, 11:09 PM

Quote:
try tweaking your style a little.
Yeah, I find my thumb is constantly hunting for a comfortable position... but without success so far.

Quote:
Good luck mate
Cheers, chap
Old 08-25-2014, 10:03 AM

Yes I know the feeling. I have one of the old Podium 00-S. The guitar is beautiful, a great couch guitar size wise. I upgraded the tuners, tried several different string types and gauges, adjusted the saddle, played with the truss, etc. I still find myself working too hard to play it cleanly, and then my index finger tip goes numb and I feel carpal tunnel like pain in my fore arm.
I have a 00015s that is just the opposite, a dream to play.
I wanted this guitar because of that, and the fact of its cosmetics. It's a full body gloss, has binding, ebony fretboard and bridge, etc. Truly one of the best looking 15 series ever. I haven't seen a LA Guitar special come close (sorry Ted, love ya!), and couldn't afford it if one did.
However, I stared at it yesterday and actually thought 'I should sell it and commission the one I want'. I thought it was the one, but it doesn't like me. :
Old 08-25-2014, 02:00 PM

I've been watching this thread with interest.

I've never been in your situation before, thank God. I play most anything, but hate the cramp 11/16" nutwidth.

I'm hoping there will be an positive outcome. I honestly am baffled by it all. I've always been able to adjust to something I'm not familiar with like when I first played my V necks. Hope we get down to it and get some positive results.

Like I said, I have just purchased a 000-17SM and it has the MLO neck. I have never played one myself before, I've had it now, for what, less than a week. I just love it. Yes admittedly, coming from a V, I felt there is nothing there for my thumb to grab onto, but I've adjusted no trouble at all.
Old 08-25-2014, 02:11 PM

Quote:
I'm hoping there will be an positive outcome. I honestly am baffled by it all. I've always been able to adjust to something I'm not familiar with like when I first played my V necks. Hope we get down to it and get some positive results.
Me too chap. Seriously. I have a bunch of acoustic and electric guitars; a Strat, Tele, Les Paul, 335, Gretsch. I have a 1950s Silvertone arch top, a 1951 Epiphone arch, a 1946 Gibson LG-2... I have a 1917 Washburn with a seriously sharp V neck profile... I have new acoustics with varying necks. In fact almost everything I own has a different neck profile, nut width and bridge string spacing. And I've really not had any issues adapting to any of them... until the Seagull and now this -15.

Someone suggested that I get Martin to make a custom 000-15SM with a modified V neck and that's a possibility. I've never gone through that process though... anyone?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:21 PM

A Custom, yes, that could be an option. But I can't imagine someone wanting to make a affordable guitar like a 15 series into a price of a standard. I think it will cost you.

It is a little to early yet, OZ time. But I will check my 17 and see what were doing wrong.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:17 PM
Get off my lawn kid

I've played a D-15M and the neck felt just like my D-16GT. Do you have problems with the dread necks? Have you tried them?

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:
Old 08-25-2014, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I've played a D-15M and the neck felt just like my D-16GT. Do you have problems with the dread necks? Have you tried them?
I only have one dread and that's an HD-28V with modified V neck. That thing is like buttahhhhh...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion